Stoneham Golf Club

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I know there's a few of you down that way, my Sunday roll-up crew have chosen this as our away trip end of next month (March 25/26).

Can I have some reviews please, good & bad, also any advice on nearby hotels.

It looks nice http://www.stonehamgolfclub.org.uk/

Thank you.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
agree. One of the couses i need to play and looks like they are doing some great renovation work. Looks very nice and a bit under the radar - i suspect that will change

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Played it loads of times, as mate of mine was a member. We also have a reciprocal there. It ranks number five in Hampshire, after Liphook, Hayling, Blackmoor and North Hants in one of the magazines. Think that is about right, and is a lovely course. Parkland with lots of hills. Only problem is it can very wet in places in the winter. You do not want to play the 18th twice in a day. Steepest par five I have ever played. Quirky in places, with two par threes in a row, though the first one plays more like a par 4. Some holes are squeezed in a bit and not as good as the rest.

In the summer it can play very short, but don't think that will be a problem in March Robin.;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Nice track, played it many times although not for many years now. I understand they have taken out loads of trees to open it up and try to get back more to a heathland feel. Unusual in that it has 3 par 3's in 4 holes around the turn.

As Richard says, the only hole worse than the 18th at Stoneham is the 36th at Stoneham :eek:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
What’s the immediate area like, there’s a Premier Inn near the course apparently but are the bars nearby ok?

D

Deleted Member 1156

What’s the immediate area like, there’s a Premier Inn near the course apparently but are the bars nearby ok?

It's 5 mins from Eastleigh where we had a curry with Simon. Pubs in Southampton are better though.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My suggestion would be the Travelodge in Lodge rd. Five mins drive from Stoneham and a ten minute walk into the town centre. Failing that there are a few premier inn type places in and around the city centre, but get booked up quickly as if there are cruise ships in that weekend the hotels get full very quickly.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Robin, Under the course section of the website there are two pages you should read.....Project 2020 and Matts Blog. These will give you a good indication of what is currently being done to the course and what has happened over the last few years. The club is ambitious to improve the course to arguably the best in Hampshire and have made huge changes in the last 18 months.

The course would look very different now to someone who hasn't played it in the last 2 years. Hundreds of trees have been removed, improved underground drainage and also new ditches (across 17th fairway) have been put in to help remove the "wet" problem. There is also a bunker project ongoing and bringing back the heather which had all but disappeared.

We are having a new practise area being built (redevelopment of current area), so there won't be a range to warm up on when you visit. There is still the chipping/putting area and also a couple of nets though. The first hole is affected by this work during the week (tee moved forward), but if you are visiting on the weekend then the workers aren't there and the 1st plays as normal.

The course isn't long, but is a good challenge. As has been mentioned we have a lot of Cat 1 golfers (unfortunately Im not one of them).....not sure thats a good or a bad point. Overall the course is very undulating, an easy walk it is not. You do get eased in with a reachable par 5 as the first hole. As Richard said there are 3 par 3's within 4 holes of each other (7,8,10), 8 is my favourite hole on the course. 18 is a real challenge, feels like walking up an escalator the wrong way at times if you've had a bad round and keeps you thinking as there is OOB just off the back of the green.

I hope that all helps, if there is anything else just let me know and I'll answer as best I can.

Accommodation wise, probably better off being in the centre of Southampton if you want a range of bars/restaraunts. The City Centre Premier inn is easily accessible for the course and is within a 15 minute walk of all the bars. If you are looking for a curry, check out Coriander Lounge, if you decide to go here then you will definitely need to book a table in advance.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played it loads of times, as mate of mine was a member. We also have a reciprocal there. It ranks number five in Hampshire, after Liphook, Hayling, Blackmoor and North Hants in one of the magazines. Think that is about right, and is a lovely course. Parkland with lots of hills. Only problem is it can very wet in places in the winter. You do not want to play the 18th twice in a day. Steepest par five I have ever played. Quirky in places, with two par threes in a row, though the first one plays more like a par 4. Some holes are squeezed in a bit and not as good as the rest.

In the summer it can play very short, but don't think that will be a problem in March Robin.;)

Blimey Rich - what a write up - we have a reciprocal with Stoneham also and I've never used it. Must get myself sorted to get down there.

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Great track. Played it a couple of years ago and was really impressed. From memory there's a 250 yard par 3 which was a laugh!

Greens were excellent when we played in March and a really friendly welcome from shop and members.

Play well and enjoy!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Robin, Under the course section of the website there are two pages you should read.....Project 2020 and Matts Blog. These will give you a good indication of what is currently being done to the course and what has happened over the last few years. The club is ambitious to improve the course to arguably the best in Hampshire and have made huge changes in the last 18 months.

The course would look very different now to someone who hasn't played it in the last 2 years. Hundreds of trees have been removed, improved underground drainage and also new ditches (across 17th fairway) have been put in to help remove the "wet" problem. There is also a bunker project ongoing and bringing back the heather which had all but disappeared.

We are having a new practise area being built (redevelopment of current area), so there won't be a range to warm up on when you visit. There is still the chipping/putting area and also a couple of nets though. The first hole is affected by this work during the week (tee moved forward), but if you are visiting on the weekend then the workers aren't there and the 1st plays as normal.

The course isn't long, but is a good challenge. As has been mentioned we have a lot of Cat 1 golfers (unfortunately Im not one of them).....not sure thats a good or a bad point. Overall the course is very undulating, an easy walk it is not. You do get eased in with a reachable par 5 as the first hole. As Richard said there are 3 par 3's within 4 holes of each other (7,8,10), 8 is my favourite hole on the course. 18 is a real challenge, feels like walking up an escalator the wrong way at times if you've had a bad round and keeps you thinking as there is OOB just off the back of the green.

I hope that all helps, if there is anything else just let me know and I'll answer as best I can.

Accommodation wise, probably better off being in the centre of Southampton if you want a range of bars/restaraunts. The City Centre Premier inn is easily accessible for the course and is within a 15 minute walk of all the bars. If you are looking for a curry, check out Coriander Lounge, if you decide to go here then you will definitely need to book a table in advance.

Some write up that and the website looks great. Have to say it's not one I'd thought about playing but I'm due to be down that way in the summer and staying down so may have to consider taking the clubs.