Steroid/Cortisone injections for back pain

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Another Old thread resurrected.

I had a badly slipped disc in 2005 and as a final roll of the dice before operating they suggested a course of spinal injections for pain relief.

However this is me and of course it all went wrong.

The injections went up my spine and anaesthetised my brain, triggering several seizures , the muscle damage from the seizures resulted in a lactic acid overdose resulting in Renal Failure, damaging a kidney which I had removed 3 years ago.

3 weeks in hospital, temporary memory loss, still had a bad back and also had my driving licence revoked on medical grounds for 6 months.

Had the discectomy 3 months later which was a great success, thankfully.

Any intervention has an element of risk, so don’t do it lightly ?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I had a badly slipped disc in 2005 and as a final roll of the dice before operating they suggested a course of spinal injections for pain relief.

The injections went up my spine and anaesthetised my brain, triggering several seizures , the muscle damage from the seizures resulted in a lactic acid overdose resulting in Renal Failure, damaging a kidney which I had removed 3 years ago.

3 weeks in hospital, temporary memory loss, still had a bad back and also had my driving licence revoked on medical grounds for 6 months.

Hell's teeth. That's grim.
I've also had a (far less serious) piece of surgery (finger, not back) that left me slightly worse than I started out. It doesn't always work out like on the telly.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Though back on backs....
My lower back is rubbish (tall, skinny, life long sportsman meant it never had a chance).
It was particularly bad about 10 years ago - i needed to kind of roll out of bed in the morning. However, taking care of it, recognising warning signs and doing a bit of running/cycling have resulted in pretty succesful management since then. So there is hope.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Backs are complicated and causes and cures for pain even more so. Other people who sound like they had the same problem may have had something quite different for which different treatments are appropriate, so I would avoid assuming that what worked for one person works for another. Back surgery used to be quite common, but in recent times it has fallen off a lot because the long term benefits just didn't justify it. Steroid injections are often quite effective and allow more movement and exercise. As with most things, they are somewhat operator dependent, so if you have found somewhere good, stick to it.

I am not a fan of chiropractic or osteopathy beyond what is essentially expensive physio.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Jonah

UlthisThem

Visit site
It is regrettable to read what you write. Of course, it is hazardous to do injections, and the consequences may not be reversible. For making injections in the back, you need to find a good doctor with extensive experience. You could become completely disabled due to accidental medical errors. In many countries, such a method as injections has been removed from practice because many more gentle treatments are no less compelling. My friend used steroids for muscle growth and mass gain https://rats.army/product/mk-677-ibutamoren/, and he remained very pleased.

Last edited:

Brads

Visit site
I’ve suffered chronic back pain for decades but three weeks ago woke at 3am screaming at the top of my voice with actual spasms that were like being stabbed.
Watching this thread with interest

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
No real idea on costs, sorry, it's all on a private healthcare policy through my company. I did read somewhere though that just the MRI scan would be close to a grand if paid for independently, not sure how accurate this is though.

i suppose it could be done on the NHS, although I would think it would take a lot longer than it has done privately.

We paid for an MRI for my wife about 12 years ago - it was £600 then so a grand now would seem about right.

zerbalat

Visit site
I have suffered back pains for more than five years now. I see some good pieces of advice now. Probably, I’m going to get the same treatment soon. My chiropractor says that it might be necessary. It helps to relax a bit the muscles in my back and makes the therapy more effective. I’m glad to read that it helped many of you. I give me a glimpse of hope that I will get rid of this constant and annoying pain one day. I’m going to take advantage of this period and do as many exercises as possible. I don’t see the shots as a magical pill but as a little help to make the exercises more effective.

Last edited: