Steel shaft deterioration

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
yes they can rust, usually from the inside out, first signs that are visible is usually when you start to get some pitting on the outside of the shaft

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
yes they can rust, usually from the inside out, first signs that are visible is usually when you start to get some pitting on the outside of the shaft

They can also become a bit brittle with age, as I found out the hard way when taking up the game again after a long break. A number of the shafts in my 25 year old clubs just snapped for no apparent reason (apart from one which I slammed into the ground after a particularly bad shot)!

Last edited:

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ah there you go then, the stainless steel on my ping 4 iron is looking a bit rusty maybe need to look for new irons. Shame because I love these :(

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Use it as a chance to check what shaft suits you best and get fitted by a Ping fitter. Your swing and shaft technology may have changed since the Ping Eye 2 days. You can probably send them back to Ping for resifting if you want it done within the family, as it were.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
How you store your clubs between rounds makes a difference to how long shafts last. If you keep in a warm dry place, they will last longer than if kept in the boot of your car, or a cold damp shed or garage. It's also a good idea to dry your clubs off after playing in the rain.