Starting Point for Reaching Sub-100

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
Evening all, thought I'd post a little (ish) reflection on the round I played yesterday.

Up until now, I've not really been keeping score on my practice rounds of golf, at the advice of my pro, who says that if the intention is purely practice, don't count your strokes as you're playing entirely differently to if you were playing to score well. Being new to the game still (I'll have been playing a year in July), and having had a mini-break for winter exams, I have only actually played four rounds! So on my fourth round I decided to actually utilise the scorecard for the first time.

My first goal is to break 100, and I shot 110 yesterday! Was playing solo, but then I was joined by a retired civil engineer on the 4th, and no doubt I'd have scored significantly higher if it wasn't for the little gems of info passed down from years of experience. Definite area for improvement was off the tee. Whilst matching his driver distance with my 6 iron, my shots were much, much more, erm, diverse... (found the rough on the far side of the next fairway off the 8th tee :eek:).

What I impressed myself with though was how I recovered. Everywhere else apart from off the tee had improved from the last round I played. For example, from that rough lie on my 8th tee shot, I took my medicine, pulled out the PW and played a smooth half swing no more than 50/60 yards straight back onto the centre of the correct fairway. Then went on to card a 6 (par 4, SI 10), a theoretical par for a 28 handicapper, should I have had one.

Highlight of the round though has to be getting up and down out of a bunker to card a 5 on the par 4 13th. I had took 3 shots to get out of my last bunker. Then, after some wise words from my civil engineer friend, I got out of an intimidating high faced hazard (for Marland anyway...) for a tap in from 2 feet.

Then made a 6 on the 100 yard par 3 18th... you win some you lose some!! :D

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
First things first, it's only the fourth round in ages so no doubt still a little rusty epsecially if you don't necessarily get to practice often. On the plus side, good to see sensible golf prevailing and getting the ball back into play. If you're having issues off the tee with more than one club (driver, fairway/hybrid etc) then that's definitely an area you need to address as you'll never break 100 if you can't keep it in play and have to play three off the tee or play from heavy rough and trees.

After that, work on the short game. It's amazing how just one or two up and downs per round can polish up a scorecard as you saw from the sand save. Get confident out of sand and then get a chipping technique that works. Sadly there's no real short cut other than keep working on it. I'd suggest waiting until you've played a few more rounds, maybe even after you submit the handicap cards, and then get the pro to give you a playing lesson. These are insightful and lets you show him exactly what you're doing on the course and he can then help you from there

Thexindi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Evening all, thought I'd post a little (ish) reflection on the round I played yesterday.

Up until now, I've not really been keeping score on my practice rounds of golf, at the advice of my pro, who says that if the intention is purely practice, don't count your strokes as you're playing entirely differently to if you were playing to score well. Being new to the game still (I'll have been playing a year in July), and having had a mini-break for winter exams, I have only actually played four rounds! So on my fourth round I decided to actually utilise the scorecard for the first time.

My first goal is to break 100, and I shot 110 yesterday! Was playing solo, but then I was joined by a retired civil engineer on the 4th, and no doubt I'd have scored significantly higher if it wasn't for the little gems of info passed down from years of experience. Definite area for improvement was off the tee. Whilst matching his driver distance with my 6 iron, my shots were much, much more, erm, diverse... (found the rough on the far side of the next fairway off the 8th tee :eek:).

What I impressed myself with though was how I recovered. Everywhere else apart from off the tee had improved from the last round I played. For example, from that rough lie on my 8th tee shot, I took my medicine, pulled out the PW and played a smooth half swing no more than 50/60 yards straight back onto the centre of the correct fairway. Then went on to card a 6 (par 4, SI 10), a theoretical par for a 28 handicapper, should I have had one.

Highlight of the round though has to be getting up and down out of a bunker to card a 5 on the par 4 13th. I had took 3 shots to get out of my last bunker. Then, after some wise words from my civil engineer friend, I got out of an intimidating high faced hazard (for Marland anyway...) for a tap in from 2 feet.

Then made a 6 on the 100 yard par 3 18th... you win some you lose some!! :D

Short game Short game Short game Short game Short game Short game

Will save you more shots then anything

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Short game Short game Short game Short game Short game Short game

Will save you more shots then anything

This. Chipping, pitching, and putting. Fall in love with playing shots from inside 50 yards, and your scores will tumble. Keeping the ball in play off the tee is very handy too, even if it means clubbing down and fairway finding with a hybrid or longer iron. Good luck!

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
As said short game and keep ball in play.And don't go for shot you can't pull off.if you have to chip out then chip out.Because you hit a great three wood out of the semi once doesn't mean you will do it every time.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Work society was won by a 28 handicapper who hit nothing above a 7 iron.

He just kept it in play and came home with 41 points.

Pretty much its keep it in play off the tee and practice the short game. Course management is ESSENTIAL, I have a game plan I used to help me.

mteam

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thats a good score for only your fourth round

From your other post if you fancy giving pike fold a try on a sat afternoon send me a pm

Merv_swerve

Challenge Tour Pro
goo.gl
I'm a big believer in course management too. I think its the only difference between 24 and 18 hc. To be competitive off 28, make better decisions and practice 70/80 yards and in.

Sounds easy when I say it like that.

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
Work society was won by a 28 handicapper who hit nothing above a 7 iron.

He just kept it in play and came home with 41 points.

Pretty much its keep it in play off the tee and practice the short game. Course management is ESSENTIAL, I have a game plan I used to help me.

I used the three step plan on this round! Admittedly difficult to follow at times when you think something might be on out of rough but I managed to stick to my guns mostly!

Also, I didn't use anything above a 6 iron for this round, I know I'm likely to cut grass or find another fairway with the woods or driver so I left them in the bag. Played to what I know. Getting a lesson next week with the pro to try and sort the long club issue out though.

Will be practicing short game on the local par 3 as often as I can as well, drive for show and all that...:)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Precisely. Leave that driver in the garage and then tell me you haven't cut 10 shots!

There is a bit more to it than that, a solid alternative needs to be identified and practised. One which fits the game plan too!

When I first was experimenting with the above suggestion I picked my 4 iron as I could not hit my 3 wood or hybrid either. After some practice I moved up to the hybrid, then 3 wood. Even the 3 wood was a bit too unreliable.