Starter golf set...what to keep?

gazeebo

Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm fairly new to this golf malarkey so please bear with me...

I've been given a large set of clubs including a bag from a family member and was wondering which ones were worth using and which ones aren't.

There are 5 metal drivers...1,3 & 5 Howson Derby and a 3 & 5 Pro Drive ZX Powersize.

2 sand wedges...1 Keno and 1 Circuit II(perimeter weighting)

2 pitching wedges...1 Wilson and 1 Pro Drive ZX

There are a selection of irons...

3,7,8,& 9 Petron Impala

3,4,5,6,7,8 & 9 Circuit II(perimeter weighting)

4,5,6,8 & 9 Pro Drive ZX

There is only one putter so that will obviously be staying.

I'm a total golfing amateur so I'll be hacking away with some of the above clubs until I get good enough to warrant spending loads on upgrading.

Sorry for the long winded question and any helpful comments will be very much appreciated.
Regards,Gazeebo.:cheers:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi, welcome :)

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about old clubs, but I'd say that if you get bitten by the golf bug and decide to take it a bit more seriously that there is nothing there that you'd want to keep in the long run - as you suggested.

Short term, I'd go with the clubs you have most of, ie. the complete set of Circuit II irons.
For the metal woods I would be trying both makes of 3 & 5 at a range and keeping which ones I get the best results with. My opinion is that it is probably best to swerve the driver (1) until you get a bit more consistent with the 3 and/or 5.

Wedges aren't so important to stick to the same brand as your irons, so from the sand and pitching wedges I'd say choose the one that either looks best to you or that you get the best results from.

Good luck with it, and let us know how you get on.

Do you have a plan for improving or just going to see how it goes?

gazeebo

Visit site
Thanks very much for the reply Region.

That was what I had in mind...just see what clubs feel the best and the ones I get the best results from.

No definite plan as yet.I intend on having a good few sessions at the driving range to see if I can get the hang of it.

Before I go and let fly some balls(hopefully not the club)is there any tips on how i should be holding the clubs ie grip? I don't want to look like a clown when I go there and act as if I'm playing baseball.

Is there a website that shows the good and bad ways to hold the club(including the correct stance) etc?

Regards,Gazeebo

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you can afford £200 you will be able to pick up some good quality clubs second hand. In fact I have recently had an email from Dunluce golf offering a full new set of Cleveland TA7 irons for only £169. These are super quality clubs and will last you 5 years or more. If not look on ebay you would get some great gear on there. As for grip look up Vardon grip and Interlocking grip and see which you prefer. Beware it will feel horrible at first but soon becomes second nature.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Rather than shelling out on new clubs, I would buy a block of lessons and get the basics right. Most pros offer some form of discount on a block and once you have the fundamentals right it makes it easier and as you get more into it opens the choice of club up

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lessons, lessons, lesson.

If they are iron shaped you can play golf with them.

Starter sets are fine for irons but the woods are terrible. Best to go 2nd or even 3rd hand. Any decent clubs from the last 10-15 years are perfectly fine for absolutely anyone.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks very much for the reply Region.

That was what I had in mind...just see what clubs feel the best and the ones I get the best results from.

No definite plan as yet.I intend on having a good few sessions at the driving range to see if I can get the hang of it.

Before I go and let fly some balls(hopefully not the club)is there any tips on how i should be holding the clubs ie grip? I don't want to look like a clown when I go there and act as if I'm playing baseball.

Is there a website that shows the good and bad ways to hold the club(including the correct stance) etc?

Regards,Gazeebo

You could google what you are interested in, the below link is one take on hold

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/skills/4226142.stm

Go back to the skills section and you get some information and pictures / gifs on some of the other things you asked about.

Golf isn't that different from baseball if you've played it before, it's just on more of an inclined plane (because the ball is on the ground) and the bats have some loft.