Stand aside Bryson.... all hail Wilco

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
You're either being ironic or that's the most ridiculous statement I've heard. Did you actually watch him play?
I’m not being ironic nor is it ridiculous, he hits the fairways out there it is indeed a 67 without a sweat, the distance he gets it out there the par 5’s are a drive and a short/mid iron. I did watch him play and he didn’t play great but nobody does all the time. I think it could be a very different story for him in April though only time will tell

D

Deleted member 1147

Without being pedantic by knocking one shot off that presumptive 67 par. I do believe that in April, assuming it’s drier, the distance of the par 5’s being so short, it is a par 68.

The players just have to play to that...and the par 3’s and 4’s may be the toughest pars for them to actually attain. Mainly holes 4, 5, 10 & 11.

4LEX

Visit site
Bryson saying it was a par 67 was probably the most arrogant and clueless statement a golfer has made in history.

At his best yes it's a par 67 but the same is true for most of the big hitters.

4LEX

Visit site
Without being pedantic by knocking one shot off that presumptive 67 par. I do believe that in April, assuming it’s drier, the distance of the par 5’s being so short, it is a par 68.

The players just have to play to that...and the par 3’s and 4’s may be the toughest pars for them to actually attain. Mainly holes 4, 5, 10 & 11.

The par fives aren't all nailed on birdies though. There's water and hazards in play on two of the shortest ones. It's not like the 4th at Wentworth which is a gimme birdie par a huge mistake.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Bryson saying it was a par 67 was probably the most arrogant and clueless statement a golfer has made in history.

At his best yes it's a par 67 but the same is true for most of the big hitters.
slight difference in that he’s putting it 45 past today’s big hitters, that could at times be a massive advantage

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
The par fives aren't all nailed on birdies though. There's water and hazards in play on two of the shortest ones. It's not like the 4th at Wentworth which is a gimme birdie par a huge mistake.
The hole he lost a ball on that plugged on soft ground is driveable for him

D

Deleted member 1147

Distance wise, they are all par 4’s.
Doesn’t mean they’ll always get 4’s. Like they don’t on shorter par 4’s.

4LEX

Visit site
Distance wise, they are all par 4’s.
Doesn’t mean they’ll always get 4’s. Like they don’t on shorter par 4’s.

Distance wise the 12th is a gimme birdie. You make the mistake of judging a course on the scorecard.

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
You sure about that ? He is when he wants to be with the 48 inch driver

The 48 inch driver that he was spraying further offline than the 46 inch driver that was 40 yards right at Augusta?

I like Bryson and his attitude to trying new ideas but the best thing he could do is keep quiet pre-tournament and work on a consistent technique, have a plan B when he plays a course that doesn't suit his boom and wedge philosophy.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
The 48 inch driver that he was spraying further offline than the 46 inch driver that was 40 yards right at Augusta?

I like Bryson and his attitude to trying new ideas but the best thing he could do is keep quiet pre-tournament and work on a consistent technique, have a plan B when he plays a course that doesn't suit his boom and wedge philosophy.
And as wild as he was off the tee, look at the strokes gained data. It doesn’t exactly correlate with a shocking driving performance. Also he didn’t put the long one in play because he’s still working on technique with it but it’ll be very interesting when he does. Anyone who thinks distance isn’t a key factor in performance, look at the top 20 in the world. I can’t wait for April, because I think it could be a very different story.

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
Anyone who thinks distance isn’t a key factor in performance, look at the top 20 in the world.

I'm looking at the top 20 players in the world and 11 of them aren't in the top 20 in driving distance, including Reed 108th, Simpson 107th, Morikawa 97th, Oosthuizen 72nd, Berger 71st in PGA driving distance in 2020; 4 Major winners just there.

Yes some dull PGA courses suit huge drives as the rough is minimal but really good players have more than that.

4LEX

Visit site
And as wild as he was off the tee, look at the strokes gained data. It doesn’t exactly correlate with a shocking driving performance. Also he didn’t put the long one in play because he’s still working on technique with it but it’ll be very interesting when he does. Anyone who thinks distance isn’t a key factor in performance, look at the top 20 in the world. I can’t wait for April, because I think it could be a very different story.

He didn't put the 48 in play because he wasn't seeing the distance gains. It'll only give him an extra 5-8 yards maximum anyway and lead to a much poor strike pattern and accuracy loss.

Any increase in distance this winter will be down to extra strength, flexibility or swing improvements.

The greens will also be much tougher/faster in April, so it'll be interesting to see if he usual poor putting continues at a 'proper' Masters.

The point is he set himself up to fail by needlessly making trashy comments.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
He didn't put the 48 in play because he wasn't seeing the distance gains. It'll only give him an extra 5-8 yards maximum anyway and lead to a much poor strike pattern and accuracy loss.

Any increase in distance this winter will be down to extra strength, flexibility or swing improvements.

The greens will also be much tougher/faster in April, so it'll be interesting to see if he usual poor putting continues at a 'proper' Masters.

The point is he set himself up to fail by needlessly making trashy comments.
No he is seeing distance gains he’s just not got the consistency levels he needs and also considerably more than 4-8 yards. I’m sure it will be in play early next year at some courses and maybe not so much on others.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm looking at the top 20 players in the world and 11 of them aren't in the top 20 in driving distance, including Reed 108th, Simpson 107th, Morikawa 97th, Oosthuizen 72nd, Berger 71st in PGA driving distance in 2020; 4 Major winners just there.

Yes some dull PGA courses suit huge drives as the rough is minimal but really good players have more than that.
Can you quote the rest of the players driving distance stats in the top 20, it becomes even more telling when you get into the top 10

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Your comment was about the top 20, not the top 10, 5 or 1.
Fact of the matter is the shortest players in the top 20, even the lowest positions he quoted, are bang on tour average and the higher rank you go the trend is the longer they get. You can’t hide that