Stand aside Bryson.... all hail Wilco

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Looks like he’s blown it when it really mattered unfortunately.
Shocking coverage though it’s been like watching featured groups for 4 days.

Well he bottled that one.

Bit harsh... he's 20, first year on tour. I'd say he held it together pretty well over the week. Dropping 2 shots on the last two is hardly bottling it, but hey if that's how you see it. A second place in first 5 outings on tour is pretty impressive, a lot to learn still but a very good outing for him.

Right on the coverage, looked like there were only two groups out there all weekend.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bit harsh... he's 20, first year on tour. I'd say he held it together pretty well over the week. Dropping 2 shots on the last two is hardly bottling it, but hey if that's how you see it. A second place in first 5 outings on tour is pretty impressive, a lot to learn still but a very good outing for him.

Right on the coverage, looked like there were only two groups out there all weekend.

I didn’t actually say he bottled it rather he blew it.
Having watched all 4 rounds he looked so in control he never looked like he would finish bogey,bogey.
I do agree at 20 years of age he’s a fantastic prospect.
And going by past winners who have gone on to win majors he has a bright future.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
H'mm. My lookup states 2% per thousand ft. So taking Jo'burg's elevation 5770', that's 11%!

Lookups must be different?,
This is the one I saw.

• "You can calculate the distance gain you will experience (compared to sea level) by multiplying the elevation (in feet) by .00116. For example, if you're playing in Reno, at 1 mile elevation (5,280 ft.) the increase is about 6% (5,280 x .00116 = 6.1248). If you normally drive the ball 250 yards at sea level, you will likely drive it 265 yards in Reno. "

• I just figured there wasn't much diff between Reno and Joburg, so the six percent was somewhere about right.
  • No big deal though. I just wish I could hit 250 yds at either place?

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
When I stopped watching I was expecting him to go on an win it.
Guess Hansen put some pressure on and that's golf. As said, he's still young.
Well done Mr Surry though.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Can’t believe there’s folk on here trying to criticise Bryson. The reality is he’s different and does things his own way which happens to be working for him, people saying his swing is just a smash or whichever phrase they want to use simply don’t have a clue. It takes more skill and precision to swing it quickly and keep the face control consistent especially when your body isn’t naturally use to swinging at these speeds.

He’s the hottest topic in golf right now and quite frankly a breath of fresh air. Golf for the most part is boring to watch, full of boring media trained personalities who are too scared to say or do anything original, it’s actually pretty sad when you think about it. So glad there’s a couple of guys doing things their own way out there now. Hats off to Bryson for using his head and his work ethic to exploit the weaknesses of top level golf, it’s great to watch and long may it continue

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Can’t believe there’s folk on here trying to criticise Bryson. The reality is he’s different and does things his own way which happens to be working for him, people saying his swing is just a smash or whichever phrase they want to use simply don’t have a clue. It takes more skill and precision to swing it quickly and keep the face control consistent especially when your body isn’t naturally use to swinging at these speeds.

He’s the hottest topic in golf right now and quite frankly a breath of fresh air. Golf for the most part is boring to watch, full of boring media trained personalities who are too scared to say or do anything original, it’s actually pretty sad when you think about it. So glad there’s a couple of guys doing things their own way out there now. Hats off to Bryson for using his head and his work ethic to exploit the weaknesses of top level golf, it’s great to watch and long may it continue
I'm not sure people are specifically criticising Bryson, more his style of play which is increasing the level of debate as to whether golf should be going in that direction.
On the other hand, I think it's perfectly acceptable to criticise him for putting a huge target on his back by announcing that Augusta is a par 67 for him and then promptly shoots 18 over....
Sometimes he doesn't help himself....

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure people are specifically criticising Bryson, more his style of play which is increasing the level of debate as to whether golf should be going in that direction.
On the other hand, I think it's perfectly acceptable to criticise him for putting a huge target on his back by announcing that Augusta is a par 67 for him and then promptly shoots 18 over....
Sometimes he doesn't help himself....
Golf isn’t going in that direction, he is taking that path, it’s a strategy of play for him and it works. Granted at Augusta he didn’t play as well as he hoped but on the first day as wild as he was off the tee I think he was still 3rd or something in strokes gained off the tee so obviously it’s still the right strategy to apply for him. I think it’s great to watch and far more exciting than the frankly boring to watch game with boring personalities which seems to have become too familiar for many

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
He's just taking it further down a path that's been trodden for the last 10 years or more.
Strokes gained mean diddly squat if you're 4 behind on the first round and 18 behind at the end.
The way he plays suggests he doesn't have a plan B..if his strategy works then he scores well, it isn't he doesn't seem able to adjust.
At Augusta his strategy didn't work because he wasn't straight enough but he didn't alter that strategy.
Not all courses allow 380 yard drives all the time and unless he alters his strategy when required he's not going to win as much as he should.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
He'll be disappointed he couldn't get over the line yesterday.

Put himself into a great position with 9 holes left. Looks to have a complete game from what I saw at Joburg. So expect him to feature a lot more.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
He's just taking it further down a path that's been trodden for the last 10 years or more.
Strokes gained mean diddly squat if you're 4 behind on the first round and 18 behind at the end.
The way he plays suggests he doesn't have a plan B..if his strategy works then he scores well, it isn't he doesn't seem able to adjust.
At Augusta his strategy didn't work because he wasn't straight enough but he didn't alter that strategy.
Not all courses allow 380 yard drives all the time and unless he alters his strategy when required he's not going to win as much as he should.
Strokes gained off the tee mean a lot when the rest of your game is working out, it means you can win a us open by 6 or however many. If you don’t putt well on tour the likelihood is you will struggle to win unless your hitting it to within kick in distance a lot of the time, but if you putt average and your hitting wedges into a lot of greens, guess what your going to do well. In fact this type of golf is better to watch, taking on shots and carries that seemed impossible before, obviously the odd ones not coming off or a lost ball here and there but eagles and birdies galore. Better to watch than fairway green 2 putts same again. It’s why a lot of people love watching Phil, the sense of something spectacular might happen but you would also see a lot of very ordinary and poor stuff aswell which just makes the bits of brilliance he came up with that much better

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
the fact he came out and said it’s a par 67 for him is a great thing aswell, it shows his character. He’s not afraid to be different or bold to say something which he believes to be true. Also if he hits all the fairways, it is indeed a a par 67 no question

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
the fact he came out and said it’s a par 67 for him is a great thing aswell, it shows his character. He’s not afraid to be different or bold to say something which he believes to be true. Also if he hits all the fairways, it is indeed a a par 67 no question

I actually think he let his ego run away with himself a bit this masters. He was thriving on the distance questions posed to him. He could hardly keep the grin/smirk off his face. Even after round 1 and 2.

He could also afford to make a bit of a tit of himself with the US open tucked into his back pocket.

I was a little surprised at the lack of strategy in a self professed science man. He had various strokes of bad luck along the way. He seemed to stop the overzealous twitching over the drives in the later rounds and hit it much straighter.

I'd say Bryson's demolition of agusta mignt not be too far off. Most experiments take time to get the right result.

He brought a buzz to the tournament and you didnt really know what he was going to do. Certainly added entertainment. Good luck to him.

D

Deleted member 1147

I don’t care what DeChambeau is doing or how he goes about it.
I just prefer to watch the silky, but powerful, swings of the like of Adam Scott, Ernie Els (in his day), and now Neinaber.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t care what DeChambeau is doing or how he goes about it.
I just prefer to watch the silky, but powerful, swings of the like of Adam Scott, Ernie Els (in his day), and now Neinaber.
I prefer to watch people with character and charisma. People who dare to be different and do things which offer results and is based on facts rather than looks. Bryson is the best thing to happen to golf in the last 5 years, there’s no question over the last 18 months in particular he’s become a hot topic and has forced people to take a step back and actually look at the key ingredients it takes to be successful on tour. He isn’t a sheep which I suppose is something I particularly admire about his character.

D

Deleted member 1147

I prefer to watch people with character and charisma. People who dare to be different and do things which offer results and is based on facts rather than looks. Bryson is the best thing to happen to golf in the last 5 years, there’s no question over the last 18 months in particular he’s become a hot topic and has forced people to take a step back and actually look at the key ingredients it takes to be successful on tour. He isn’t a sheep which I suppose is something I particularly admire about his character.
Each to their own eh ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Charisma? Mmm, not sure about that. He certainly has a certain morbid fascination, a combination of brute force and awaiting the train coming off the tracks.

Don't kid yourself if you think you are looking at something raw and organic, though. He has carefully developed a brand, based on what he calls science (but isn't really) and BF&I. I am not sure it has staying power, though. There have been super long hitters before, but few of them had staying power.

His analysis of what it takes to succeed on Tour could rebound against him, though, if course set up changes to stifle his game. Tiger-proofing actually helped Tiger, but I think they could more easily constrain Bryson.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The thing with BDC and the Masters was there was no plan B for the first round. He could have hit irons off most tees and still been in position and got it round safely. He just seemed determined to hit driver regardless of the result. It isn't a unique path and BDC has just worked hard to moved that needle on again