Stand aside Bryson.... all hail Wilco

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
He's certainly a big hitter and that swing is simplicity itself.
However, that stat needs to be tempered by the fact that Jo'burg is nearly 6000ft above sea level, so would possibly even flatter my wimpy drives!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Ultimately we will see more and more of this each year.

in 1997 Tiger was considered a monster, with only a couple of guys able to keep up with him distance wise. Now he's very much average length.

The same will happen with the current bombers... DJ and Rory aren't seen as remarkable these days and the likes of Bryson, Wolff and Champ can get it well past them. Now this guy and goodness knows how many other teenagers will be coming through the various tours in the next few years.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
He obviously hits it a long way but there's little context without knowing how far everyone else is hitting it.
If everyone else is hitting near 400 on that hole then its not massively obscene...just bloomin ' long.
It also looks downhill and with the breeze behind, high altitude as Foxy says..
And anyway...he missed the fairway and only made a birdie...:LOL:
Fair play to him though...hitmit hard, go find it.

D

Deleted member 1147

He’s averaging 337 for the season according to a caption that just came up on sky...I like the fact he has a nice smooth swing, not jumping on it like DCB.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
He’s averaging 337 for the season according to a caption that just came up on sky...I like the fact he has a nice smooth swing, not jumping on it like DCB.

Watching him at the moment, it's a lovely swing, and he can chip and putt as well. Currently in the lead at 15 under, heard that he was the top South African amateur, with 21 tournament wins. At the moment he's very much looking the part.

D

Deleted member 1147

Can definitely get it out there but altitude must help that number. Definitely going to see more and more players going down this smash it miles route.
I presume you haven’t read above that he’s averaged 337 this season (not at altitude) ?

D

Deleted member 1147

Field average this week has been 331, Nienarber is 404.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The thing is is that he doesn’t smash it like Deshambles. His swing is pretty smooth.
BdC's swing isn't a 'smash' to me - simply blooming fast and his own version on Moe Norman's Single Plane Swing. Somewhat unorthodox, but having been 'interested in', if not a practitioner of, Moe Norman and his swing for a long time, it probably seems less peculiar to me than to most! It's definitely 'different' to the Hogan model, but the entire purpose is to eliminate the sources of inconsistencies that can occur in a human using the Hogan model.

Last edited:

Ssshank

Visit site
The average is meaningless unless you assess every course and the number of starts Wilco has had. i.e if he's only had 3 starts that number will drastically decrease overtime.

Can't imagine he's any longer than BCD or DJ.

Anyway, a good young prospect with a good all-round game.