Stack and Tilt??????

Master-putter

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Serious question here so no abuse please. Can someone please explain to me what a S&T swing is??? I see all of you lot talking about it but i don't know what it is. Be gentle ;)

Any help appreciated,
Cheers, Kieran

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
male29-male-theater-cinema-smiley-e.gif

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It's a golf swing that keeps your weight more over the ball (stacked) and in doing so you turn your shoulders on a slightly more inclined plane than normal (tilted)

The 'old way' has your weight moving away from the ball to the right and means that you can be very inconsistent.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Cheers for that smart-arsed comment. I asked you lot because your supposedly 'experts' on the subject. Yeah, such experts that not one comment so far has been helpful. Chees then.

You hit the nail on the head there mate, this place is full of 'supposed' experts.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
The 'old way' has your weight moving away from the ball to the right and was the means of winning nearly every professional tournament ever played.

Corrected for you James. Mind you I can see Charlie Wie drastically changing the stats over the next few years.:whistle:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Phew! We scared off another golfer..... don't want people talking about this blimmin' S&T all the time - well done guys... :thup:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thats what i love about this forum.
Someone posts a question[yes we know its been done before]
You get a smart ass comment
Someone posts a link
A bit of banter follows
Someone doesnt understand banter,and quickly snaps back
Then a slanging match starts
Someone trys to restore peace with a good piece of advice
Then all hell breaks loose.love it.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was thinking knob-ish, not clever

Yeah it was a bit, I'm sorry to have upset or annoyed you.

Stack and Tilt is a very controversial swing, which seems to be LOVED by those who adopt it and HATED by those who do not use the techniques.

It's a contentious issue which has been discussed to death on here. The search function on the website will provide you with the answers you need.

If you're just looking for a quick summary:

1. Bobmac (forum user) hates it
2. Justone (forum user) loves it
3. Weight on left side at start and continue to move weight to the left throughout swing
4. Mike Bennett and Andy Plummer developed it. Google them. They have Stack and Tilt books and DVDs.
5. Dazhwood on youtube is good

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Thats what i love about this forum.
Someone posts a question[yes we know its been done before]
You get a smart ass comment
Someone posts a link
A bit of banter follows
Someone doesnt understand banter,and quickly snaps back
Then a slanging match starts
Someone trys to restore peace with a good piece of advice
Then all hell breaks loose.love it.

Sums it up for me Tony.:)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeah it was a bit, I'm sorry to have upset or annoyed you.

Stack and Tilt is a very controversial swing, which seems to be LOVED by those who adopt it and HATED by those who do not use the techniques.

It's a contentious issue which has been discussed to death on here. The search function on the website will provide you with the answers you need.

If you're just looking for a quick summary:

1. Bobmac (forum user) hates it
2. Justone (forum user) loves it
3. Weight on left side at start and continue to move weight to the left throughout swing
4. Mike Bennett and Andy Plummer developed it. Google them. They have Stack and Tilt books and DVDs.
5. Dazhwood on youtube is good

SamQuirkePGA is one of 4 UK accredited instructors who frequents the forum on occasion too.

Each to their own.

Let me put it another way. If Andy and Mike hadn't have come along and said they were reinventing the game, people may have been a little more receptive.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its bit like the marmite of the forum .. BUT...............if you have a genuine intrest in the ins and outs of it im sure James (justone)will be very helpful to you, drop him a PM & have a chat . as gareth said sam quirke is another one ..

The banter wasnt aimed at you its just one of the more emotive subjects on here at times ..

Good Luck with it

SamQuirkePGA

Club Champion
www.samquirke.co.uk
The Stack and Tilt Golf Swing – fundamentals.
by Sam Quirke

Allow me to begin by asking you a question, what are the fundamentals of golf?

I would expect you to answer with grip, stance, posture, alignment, ball position etc. These are the answers I most often hear, and why wouldn’t I this has been drilled into golfers for years. I’m going to raise a few eyebrows now and put it to you that these are in fact variables and not fundamentals. Once you’ve finished choking on your tea and for that I apologise please continue reading.

When we look to the worlds greatest golfers i.e. PGA Tour how often do you see the same ‘fundamental’ `I’d argue not very often at all. Do the tour golfers past and present have the same grips? No, some are strong some are weak. Do the tour golfers have the same stance and posture? No. Do the tour golfers aim in the same place, absolutely not! In one grouping to have the ball finish in the same place there could be potentially 80 yards in distance between the two points the golfers where aiming.

So my next question would be how would you define fundamental? Dictionary.com states a basic principle, rule, law, or the like, that serves as the groundwork of a system. If this is the case would the above ‘fundamentals’ be correct?

Stack and Tilt prescribes the following fundamentals and importantly in this order:

The golfer must be able to hit the ground in the same place each time.

Have enough power to play the golf course.

Control the curvature.

As one works his way through the handicaps from a beginning golfer with no handicap to tour professional one can see how these fundamentals apply. Does the beginning golfer hit the ground in the same spot each time? If you were to line up 29 players in handicap order form 0 to 28 on a grass range and asked them to hit 100 balls from a line, as you moved from one side of the range to the other you’d be able to see the variety in dispersion of divots (in relation to the line) become tighter as the golfers ability increased. This pattern is then true of distance, as you moved down the line you’d see the ball going progressively further as the ability increased. Lastly the better the golfers ability the more predicable a pattern they would hit as the ability improved i.e. handicap decreased.

The last fundamental controlling the curve is not necessarily to be able to work the ball in all directions but in fact to hit the ball in a predictable pattern or cone whether it be fade or draw bias. When golfers talk to me about wanting to improve there golf, I hear the phrase inconsistent so often. We all want to hit the ball far, to be able to achieve this we must be hitting the ground in the same place consistently and now we want to be able to predict with some regularity where the ball is going to go and on what trajectory / shape i.e. be consistent!

At first glance this may appear to be asking a lot, I disagree, once order an order of pieces to work on has been established, always keeping in mind the fundamentals the golfer may work through the appropriate parts and see positive change quickly.

Sam Quirke

Authorised Stack and Tilt instructor