St George's day.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I woke up in Newcastle this morning and had a full English after a night of John Smiths.

So I fled back over the border and had a can of Irn Bru..

Hang on a Minute, you spent the evening in Newcastle & the only thing you could find to drink was John Smiths... You visit one of the countries brewing capitals & all you drink is John Smiths.... Wash your mouth out with Nookie Brown...!!!

...I despair. I really do.

Well I supose at least it wasn't Fosters or some such P Water. Have to be thankful for small Mercys.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I currrently Live in another suposed Brewing Capital, though most of the breweries have gone or been taken over by continental & other foreign interests. But still a home of brewing.

tbqh I always rated Vaux above Newcastle Brown anyway, though even Vaux has gone & that was Sunderland anyway. I believe a lot of the Vaux workforce relocated to a factory near Durham & were brewing Double Maxim under licence, though that's another story. Not sure whether it was a sucsessful venture or not, as I've not seen anyting for some time.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyway, getting back to St Georges I believe its suposed to be a week long festival this year according to the news. Now that's the first time I've come across it being more than a day. But its about time England & Britain stood up for something. And at least our lovable loony the New Mayor of london Boris Johnson has gotten involved & made the whole thing seem fun. So I'll raise a glass to him when I'm off on Monday.

B

birdieman

Dont worry, we dont really celebrate St Andrews day here either. Robert Burns day is far more celebrated up here as a 'Scottish' day than our patron saint Andrew's day.

At least we dont get called racists for flying the Saltire or Lion Rampant though.