St George's day.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone celebrating St George's day today?
What are you doing for it? Anything?

Fish 'n' chips for tea?
Couple of pints of bitter tonight, watching Escape to Victory?

As England is my second favourite country, I may have a pint of London Pride in your honour.
Cheers, neighbours. :D

boggybop

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I work in a Tourist Information Centre, and they decided to put on a coffee morning....

I'm yet to hear how many people turned out for it, but my guess is less than last years grand total of 6 :)

Unless St George's day becomes a public holiday, I don't think many people will celebrate it.

Molly

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On a theme MVP...I'm off to the Shozna for a curry with about 50 others! We go every year and make a bit of an effort...plenty of dinner jackets, St George outfits etc. Flags all over the place and such classic music as Jerusalem, the Frank Skinner-inspired 3 lions and the theme tune for Only Fools & Horses!

Will be a great night and love the irony of celebrating the patron saint of England in a curry house :D

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Went to the St Georges Party at my local, had fish and chip supper.

People are scared to celebrate St Georges day in certain quarters as the pc brigade seem to think it runs too close to things like the BNP etc.

I am proud to be English and enjoyed celebrating the day.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
He was turkish? and is the patron saint of about 43 countries. What has he got to do with England? No, not celebrating, can't see the point. No bank hol either. Had a couple of pints of bass, but do that every night.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well done Jon, I knew I could rely on you.
Claim that flag back people and celebrate your heritage.
It's gave the world a lot and something to be proud of.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm afraid England has suffered more than most from the pernicious influence of both the pc brigade and a rash of weak-kneed politicians who have taken the coin but gone on to persistently denigrate the country.

Too many councils deny us the right to fly our flag in case it offends some incomer, hell they won't even fly the Union Flag from public buildings (and when they do it's some decrepit, tattered and soiled rag that once flown is never changed).

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Seems a poor show from the English. Is it only the Irish that make a proper session of it. ;)

When I used to work in the licensed trade 15 years ago. The local authorities would give us an extention for St Patricks Day, but not for St Georges Day??

The reason given was that it would cause racial tensions in the community, promote racism, and nationalism. :D

So it does annoy me to this day when the English still make such a big deal of St Patricks Day and not St Georges Day. After all, St Patricks Day in England was just a marketing ploy anyway.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
He was turkish? and is the patron saint of about 43 countries. What has he got to do with England? No, not celebrating, can't see the point. No bank hol either. Had a couple of pints of bass, but do that every night.
Yes. He's also the patron saint of Catalunya. In Barcelona they've been celebrating the day of ''San Jordi''.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
On Talksport yesterday they were looking for a slogan for England and the best one I heard should be applied to Britain :::

LOVE IT ...

OR LEAVE IT !!!!!!!!!!

It has been a gripe of mine for years that Enlishness and for that matter Britishness has been surpressed by the PC brigade and lilly livered politicians. We used to be an Empire so why are we letting a weak European parliament dictate to US.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had a race night at the golf club so I went down for a few scoops.

I find it really frustrating that this country would rather celebrate Paddy's day than George's day.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tony don't be fooled m8. They are not celebrating St Patricks day they are celebrating Guiness Day and the marketing guys from Guiness have won a watch for tagging St Patricks day with a few jars of the black stuff.

Have you ever heard anything about St Paddy? Nope

Guiness ..... Hell yeh.