St Enodoc - B&B - Saunton

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Keen to open up this debate again.

Played St Enodoc yesterday, incredible golf course and certainly enjoyed it more than the first time (I loved it then too) despite playing awful.

However, I still cant see how people think it’s better than Burnham or Saunton East ?

Holes 3, 4 are not good golf holes, one might say - Mickey Mouse, and Holes 11-14 are extremely average.

Oh and the bloody walkers. There’s more of them than golfers.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Each to their own. I think 11 is a reasonable par 3, 12 is tricky because of the lumpy fairway and it has a very good green complex along with the 14th.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I love all 3 of them.... I think there are weaker holes you can point at on each course.

Looking forward to going back to Burnham in February to see how the changes look.

Sea views at St E are a plus point over the others... but all 3 have a great feel about the place.

If I could retire close to any of them to join and play all week I'd be happy. I'm on the waiting list for country membership at St E and Saunton have already offered. I am 45 mins from Burnham now and still haven't ruled out joining when I stop work?

Was going to state a favourite...but I'm struggling

Last edited:

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love all 3 of them.... I think there are weaker holes you can point at on each course.

Looking forward to going back to Burnham in February to see how the changes look.
Y
Sea views at St E are a plus point over the others... but all 3 have a great feel about the place.

If I could retire close to any of them to join and play all week I'd be happy. I'm on the waiting list for country membership at St E and Saunton have already offered. I am 45 mins from Burnham now and still haven't ruled out joining when I stop work?

Was going to state a favourite...but I'm struggling
Haha I agree, I still think I’d take Saunton East but the views are amazing at St Enodoc and the whole feel of the place is brilliant.

D

Deleted member 21258

For me personally I always think there is a fine balance between being a good terrain for golf and being to hilly or to flat. Gimmicky holes I do not overly like on top courses(I like a challenge not gimmicks, when paying a lot of money).

I also tend to look at the course from my wifes point of view, so the course has to be playable for a short hitter/higher handicapper and me. Also tend to remember courses that make me think off the tee or/and shots to the green.

Due to the above, there was quite a bit of St Endoc I didn't rate or overly like, so for instance 10-15 (10 and 15 was unplayable for wife),. Strangely didn't mind 3rd & 4th holes and had challenges on hitting the right lines/length, not my favourite holes on the course tho.

Whereas I would class Saunton East and Burnham, above Endoc. Saunton East placement of greens and green complexes are superb, Burnham and Saunton are both courses that are very playable me and the wife off the tee in winds or not. Burnham absolutely loved it on a whole and the roll of the greens were ace when we played there, would probably even say the highs of Burnham are maybe higher(probably due to terrain) than Saunton but overall I prefer the East.

So for me its Saunton…Burnham...………………………………………..St Endoc

If I was joining a course, it would be Saunton :ROFLMAO:(36 holes swing it, as like the option of two courses )

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
13th at St E is an odd one... I don't mind 3rd, but the 4th is an oddity ... Agree that Burnham 7th is not very photogenic, I like the 10th, drive over the big sandhill...11th is a good tough hole, but not very visual... I wonder if there would be scope to re-route it further right into the hills as a dog leg. Have you seen the work going on the 12th? Will be interesting to see the result! Yes, the 16th is all about the getting the 2nd shot on the right level but it looks weak... but maybe it is a nice bit of rest before the finish, which is tough. Especially if you are hitting ling clubs into the greens! :)