Srixon z765

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Actually from the pics the head itself seems lovely but... the way it blends into the hosel is well ugly, avoid!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went with the intention of getting 765's. tried them along side the AP2's, Titleist CB's, Mizuno JPX, Ping i200's etc etc. Then I had a bash with the 965....didn't look too bladey at address and the numbers they produced blew the others out of the water. Had them all season, dropped from 8.2 to 6.6 and had my best season 'strike' wise that I have ever had. If I could putt I think I might have snuck to 5.something

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
An oldish thread I know - but I am thinking that for a new set of irons a set of 5i-PW Srixon z785s look a good bet. New version of the z765s?

Really like the look of them - they look good (and for me that is as important - if not more important - as any tech data I might get from a swing studio analysis), and very similar in look to my current John Letters irons - and I am thinking I'll get them a good bit cheaper than an equivalent set of Ping i210s - currently what I was thinking of getting. Any thoughts.

Basically I am looking at Pings and Srixons as my daughter's b/friend is my club Pro and he'll give me a good price for Srixons and Pings. I know that making a choice based upon looks and price is not how most will say I should buy any club - but for me a good look and a good price is good for me if the club is a good choice for many :)

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
785s are a fairly typical forged players cavity iron
Good looking, feel about as soft as anything else, good range of shafts and grips.
Have a look at the tech on the V sole. It works for some but not for others so worth a good read up.
I found them to be quite low spin compared to similar irons, which may be great, and they flew a bit lower and longer, which could also be great.
Good irons..but check out that V sole

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
An oldish thread I know - but I am thinking that for a new set of irons a set of 5i-PW Srixon z785s look a good bet. New version of the z765s?

Really like the look of them - they look good (and for me that is as important - if not more important - as any tech data I might get from a swing studio analysis), and very similar in look to my current John Letters irons - and I am thinking I'll get them a good bit cheaper than an equivalent set of Ping i210s - currently what I was thinking of getting. Any thoughts.

Basically I am looking at Pings and Srixons as my daughter's b/friend is my club Pro and he'll give me a good price for Srixons and Pings. I know that making a choice based upon looks and price is not how most will say I should buy any club - but for me a good look and a good price is good for me if the club is a good choice for many :)
The real question you should be asking is 'What benefit will a new set of irons give me?'! And if you include vfm/cost for that benefit, then I believe it's likely you'll keep the JLs (providing they a similar 'players cavity' style! That said, Srixon make really good irons and the Z7*5 series is 'real purdy'!

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
765’s are lush and feel ‘better’ (For my tastes’ than any recent mizunos I’ve hit.

just recently sold mine as lockdown boredom saw me procure all new irons And wedges (changed to Vega for both)

But I’ll always keep an eye open in the future Srixons. Quality clubs even if they were priced the same as your titleist’s or Mizzy equivalents. Generally much cheaper though.

D

Deleted member 1147

I read an online review which said they are the best irons available today.

Only a fool wouldn’t buy them, apparently!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few years I got fitted for Srixon Z155 irons with Miyazaki Jinsoku reg 72g graphite shafts, by Scott Gourlay.
Not top of the range but they suit my slow swing and limited abilities.(y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
785s are a fairly typical forged players cavity iron
Good looking, feel about as soft as anything else, good range of shafts and grips.
Have a look at the tech on the V sole. It works for some but not for others so worth a good read up.
I found them to be quite low spin compared to similar irons, which may be great, and they flew a bit lower and longer, which could also be great.
Good irons..but check out that V sole
Since I don't know what a V sole is I best have a look. I did read something about the sole and the way they have done it for the 'bounce' and performance through the turf - or something like that. But as I don't do golf club tech I don't know what I am talking about (as usual).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The real question you should be asking is 'What benefit will a new set of irons give me?'! And if you include vfm/cost for that benefit, then I believe it's likely you'll keep the JLs (providing they a similar 'players cavity' style! That said, Srixon make really good irons and the Z7*5 series is 'real purdy'!
I bough the JL F7s I have in 2007. Sports Direct were wanting to launch a decent golf club range so they acquired the JL brand. I don't know where the club technology came from but I am guessing that it most probably wasn't the most recent at the time. They cost mr £299 for 3i-PW :) I am thinking that iron technology may have move on a bit since then - and even if the technology of the F7s was only a few years old in 2007 old I'm guessing it'll be tech of 15-20yrs ago.

https://www.golfmagic.com/reviews/equipment/john-letters-limited-edition-f-7-irons/5031

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I bough the JL F7s I have in 2007. Sports Direct were wanting to launch a decent golf club range so they acquired the JL brand. I don't know where the club technology came from but I am guessing that it most probably wasn't the most recent at the time. They cost mr £299 for 3i-PW :) I am thinking that iron technology may have move on a bit since then - and even if the technology of the F7s was only a few years old in 2007 old I'm guessing it'll be tech of 15-20yrs ago.

https://www.golfmagic.com/reviews/equipment/john-letters-limited-edition-f-7-irons/5031
I doubt the technology is much different netween then and now. Though the measurement and tweeking of design definitely have. whether those tweeks from one model to the next actually work for a particular golfer is completely unknown! Driver technology, on the other hand, has definitely moved on!
I still can't see a major benefit of spending serious amounts of wedge on irons just because it might help. That's why I'm happy to play some classic (20 yo) Muira forged irons or a gorgeous Tour Stage (Bridgestone) US Blade/Spec combo from a similar era.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
They do look very nice and I bought a set last year when I returned to the game.
Since when I've also had a go back with my old blades( love blades, when you hit them right, hmm....).
But I liked the extra distance of the 785s. So presently playing them .
They feel and look lovely. They are a bit stronger than older irons, I.e the pitching wedge loft is 46, not 50.
I'm a17 'cap.
At your much better handicap, I'm sure they'll be great.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
They do look very nice and I bought a set last year when I returned to the game.
Since when I've also had a go back with my old blades( love blades, when you hit them right, hmm....).
But I liked the extra distance of the 785s. So presently playing them .
They feel and look lovely. They are a bit stronger than older irons, I.e the pitching wedge loft is 46, not 50.
I'm a17 'cap.
At your much better handicap, I'm sure they'll be great.
My pro is keen that I invest :) I suspect that he will only take a minimum handling/admin charge on what he buys them for and little or no margin...so I would hope to get them at roughly cost price. Also bearing in mind I only very rarely buy golf clubs - 13yrs since the last ones - my amortised cost / year is not very great, and bearing in mind my full set of JLs cost £299 I'm not exactly a big spender.

But certainly worth thinking whether they'll make that much of a difference. It may be that the difference may be in my mind given the horrors I have experienced with my irons over the last 5+yrs. And if I can get myself being more positive...

Still an expensive way to create a bit of positivity. Especially if it doesn't work :)

Last edited:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
My pro is keen that I invest :) I suspect that he will only take a minimum handling/admin charge on what he buys them for and little or no margin...so I would hope to get them at roughly cost price. Also bearing in mind I only very rarely buy golf clubs - 13yrs since the last ones - my amortised cost / year is not very great, and bearing in mind my full set of JLs cost £299 I'm not exactly a big spender.

But certainly worth thinking whether they'll make that much of a difference. It may be that the difference may be in my mind given the horrors I have experienced with my irons over the last 5+yrs. And if I can get myself being more positive...

Still an expensive way to create a bit of positivity. Especially if it doesn't work :)

Maybe you're not old enough, Hugh?. At my age I'm aware I just as well spend it as leave it behind.
Seen too many ex colleagues 'leave' too early, so, if I want it now, I have it
( within reason)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd be looking at Ping as well. The posts read as though the poster has his eyes on the Srixon's, which isn't a bad thing and they do some fine irons, but I would try both brands side by side. If clubs aren't bought often (compared to some who change regularly) then I'd also consider how much forgiveness I'd need going forward and what shafts I'd want as I got older. Would you still want to be swinging shaft in 5-10 years of the body and swing starts to slow