Squirrels in the loft

Mandofred

Visit site
Poop. The other house we bought and are repairing.....chased a couple of the buggers out of the loft earlier today. I thought it was mice at the beginning....but after practically going hand-to-hand combat with one of them....NOT a mouse. Going to try a baking soda and flour? mix....it's supposed to kill them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try a plug in pest repellent. They give out an ultra high frequency noise, humans can't hear it, and it keeps them away. We have them at home, rural area and mice used to be an issue, and we haven't had one since. Better long term approach, keep them away rather than killing them after they bed in.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had squirrels in our loft. Tried a bright lamp and a noise frequency emitter but they just bit through the cables. In the end we had to pay out for an exterminator which was not cheap at all.

Mandofred

Visit site
A couple of Pine Martens will soon sort them out.
Uhhh.....and when the house is destroyed?....but squirrel-less........

Going to check in the morning on how my baking soda/oats temptation is working......but I can easily go with that plug in sound annoying device could work. Turns out we have one or two plug up there that would be easy to just plug in. I'm old....so sure as heck won't hear anything. My wife was taking the grandkids out for a walk last year and went by a house that had a sound thingy in the yard that went off when there was movement on the pavement....meant to scare cats I think.....the grandkids went "ow...what is that"....wife couldn't hear a thing, being "almost" as old as me.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Red Squirrels are cute too..

UDE92B4.jpg

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You might find them a pest but I don’t think you are allowed to give them a possibly slow, painful death.
Or to fire a gun in your back garden.
IMG_0189.jpeg

Mandofred

Visit site
Try contacting the council.
And they will provide a solution for free? No chance. If we have to, we will try to get hold of someone. The house we are moving into does need the soffits etc replaced.....may end up doing that before we were planning at this rate.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They might not provide a solution for free but they might be able to advise you for free.

Please don’t try measures that may well be unsuccessful and cruel.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First thing to do is try to work out how they are getting in and block the entry point.

Both next door neighbours had the problem where I lived (different roof design over the garage compared to me). They got in via the gutters. The neighbours changed the space under the first set of roof tiles.

I used to watch the squirrel run along the fence, jump on to the garage roof, jump up to house roof and then in to gutter.