spinning hips too early?

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
Started hitting a lot of shots towards the toe, the only recent change
i've made to my swing is conciously getting the left hip out of the way quickly on the DS
and maybe missing a bit of lateral hip movement first (hip bump towards target)

could this be a cause of the toe shots?

I tried the allignment stick through the belt buckle drill earlier (in the office) and my arms are hitting it on the way down

cheers in advance

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Yes. The rest of the body has to keep up. Spinning your hips can leave the arms trailing then your swing arc will be narrowed at the time of impact and you'll hit the ball off the toe more often. You have to get the club to the ball.... then speed up the WHOLE thing, not just fire your hips.

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers mate... been working on this drill today (quiet in the office today :) and got high ceilings)
and i've worked up to a full speed swing from very slowly at first.

My whole swing seems to be so much more in synch now and my hands clear the alignment sticks.... it just feels better.
As a bonus I seem to be finishing with my body in sort of reversed 'c' with belt buckle nearest the target.

Spose this will explain the block too.... must have been getting really stuck!!
off to the range later to see if i'm fixed

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Interestingly I was relaxing at home today and reading Ben Hogan's " The Modern Fundamentals of Good Golf" and in particular the early hip turn.

He says at the bottom of page 91 "The faster the hips move, the better. They can't go too fast"

He then describes how, once the hips have turned, he hits the ball as hard as he can but that the chain of actions have to follow properly. That is that the left leg breaks back to the left,right knee moves in and the club moves in from the top being carried down by the hip movement so you start hitting the ball from when the hand have dropped to hip height

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
^
^
^
Yes, it's all about getting the sequencing correct and not just leaving everything else trailing. If you can keep up with your hip turn then that's great,... perfect in fact. If you can't then you have to learn to do it (by building up slowly) and/or slow it down a bit until you can.

You'll see lot's of commentary about players who turn the lower half too fast and get stuck on the inside. If you know you're going to fire the hips superfast your upper body has to be prepared for it! :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
^
^
^
Yes, it's all about getting the sequencing correct and not just leaving everything else trailing. If you can keep up with your hip turn then that's great,... perfect in fact. If you can't then you have to learn to do it (by building up slowly) and/or slow it down a bit until you can.

You'll see lot's of commentary about players who turn the lower half too fast and get stuck on the inside. If you know you're going to fire the hips superfast your upper body has to be prepared for it! :)

I tried it at the range this afternoon!

Am I allowed to advertise 2 x Cobalt/Titanium hip joints for sale, barely used - not any good for golfing with, breaking for scrap, offers invited

TriggerTech

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry just picked this up, having similar issues, has anyone got a link to the drill mentioned above?

Cheers in advance

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Started hitting a lot of shots towards the toe, the only recent change
i've made to my swing is conciously getting the left hip out of the way quickly on the DS
and maybe missing a bit of lateral hip movement first (hip bump towards target)

could this be a cause of the toe shots?

I tried the allignment stick through the belt buckle drill earlier (in the office) and my arms are hitting it on the way down

cheers in advance

what flight are you getting?

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
They were quite low and slappy, typical toe shots either stright or right with no energy behind them.

I've sorted it now though, that drill with the sticks has got me in a much better position through the ball and they're all coming
from the middle again with a nice high draw :)...... i'm a happy golfer once again

cheers.