Spin Milled Vs Normal.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have been using a vokey 52/8 wedge for about 4 months now with great results meaning alot more confidence around greens whether it be from 50 yards in, to greenside chips.

About a 2 months ago when i upgraded my irons i got a TM Z TP 60 wedge which after finally realising which are correct and in correct shots to play with it agin im finding form with this, but i dont thing this are spin milled (please correct me if im wrong)

Well this week i brough a vokey 56/14 Spin milled wedge from a forum member. I tried it at the range last night but to be fair couldnt notice alot of difference using the range balls.

Im assuming the spin milled means it should check alot quicker on the greens which is great as this is something the 52 doesnt really do from say 50 yards, the problem is im straight into another medal saturday @ 8:00am and wont have time to try it on a course. Without having test times what sort of results should i be getting with this againt the 52/8 which isnt spin milled.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The main differences are from the rough. The larger grooves channel more muck away, enabling more of the face to contact the ball.
From a tight fairway (or range mat) it shouldn't make much difference.

The biggest differences in wedges to me are when they are brand spanking new, to when they are a bit older.

I prefer them older, as I find them more predictable.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't think that the club is going to miraculously give you spin OS. A club without grooves struck properly from a perfect lie will still spin.

On the other hand "big boy super zip macdaddy mud channeling" grooves won't do a thing if the strike is bad.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
thanks. Need to try and get some course time with teh wedges really because as you said from a matt at the range i couldnt tell any difference on chips from quater to half power. if i can acheive the same results with the 56 as the 52, ill drop the 52 from the bag.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't think that the club is going to miraculously give you spin OS. A club without grooves struck properly from a perfect lie will still spin.

On the other hand "big boy super zip macdaddy mud channeling" grooves won't do a thing if the strike is bad.

a nice description. lol.

need to get me wedges dialed then i wont to try a couple of different putters and them im sorted. Using a rossa mallet and while its great in the winter, ive been putting long quite alot recently.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Spin milling has nothing to do with the grooves. Manufactures already cut grooves to their maximum size.

The spin milling refers to the machining across the face of the wedge. On the vokeys you will see very small circular pattern which is produced by the milling cutter "fly cutting" the face. You can also often see this pattern on putter faces.

This will give you extra spin from a clean lie.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Taken from Titleists web page:

Vokey Spin Milled wedges feature CNC machine cut faces and grooves. A special circular saw style cutting tool is used to create precise grooves with maximum allowable draft angles and edge radii for more consistent performance.

Spin Milled grooves produce a medium trajectory and high spin.

Spin milled grooves?

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Spin milling is just a term for machining with a rotating cutter i.e spinning, and yes the grooves are machined with a spinning cutter/slitting saw. If we are going by that, it means every club that has been finished milled, you could argue that it's been "spin milled".

If you put a Vokey spin milled wedge next to another that doesn't have the spin milled name, you will see the difference on the face, and you will see the circular pattern from which I mentioned in my first post.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You will, but you will also notice a huge difference in the grooves. I have a spin milled 54, and a vokey 200 50, and the grooves are totally different.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
That said, in the current spin milled line up the grooves on the 50 and 52 are not as aggressive (or as big) as those on the more lofted wedges.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think we'll have to disagree on this then Murph.

All I can say is when I bought my first spin milled vokey (about 4-5 years ago) the only difference I could see when I had the two side by side was the milled face.

Grooves, whether they are cast or machined into the club have to conform with R&A parameters and most manufacturers will take those parameters to the limit to ensure maximum volume.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
the grooves dont look alot different although i havent had them both side by side. the main different i can see is the spin milling (circle cut) club face.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
That said, in the current spin milled line up the grooves on the 50 and 52 are not as aggressive (or as big) as those on the more lofted wedges.

They have changed the grooves to be getting larger the more lofted the wedge, the pro's were getting fed up of hitting 50, 52 degree wedges and spinning off the green.