Spelling police

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sadly life is full of pedants.

Some folk seem to take pleasure in pointing out other peoples "failings" and spelling is an easy one.

But that's ok, if you've got such an empty existence that pulling people up for incorrect grammar is a good way to spend your time go ahead.

I can think of a million other things to do first.

I've never pulled anybody up on here for spelling or grammar, the thread was already here so I commented on it. I thought that's what happened on forums, obviously I am mistaken.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I must admit to cringing when i see some of the more common spelling mistakes, there instead of their, too and to, but dont tend to jump on people. No ones perfect, some people will have trouble spelling for one reason or another.

But I think some people are genuinely trying to be knobs when they are correcting others and I dont see a problem with this. There are lots of people who are reading the internet who might benefit from this, ie children so that they dont pick up wrong spellings and it would definitley benefit them down the line.

excellent grammar, I would have just substituted 'helpful' for another word.

Anders

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have no issue with spelling mistakes, everyone has made them and they are easily overlooked when reading something back on the screen, or worse a mobile.
Long rambling sentences without punctuation, or large posts without paragraphs will cause me to loose interest pretty quickly though.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
On a personal note I like to get my spelling and grammar correct but I know that when rushing to get a reply in I'll commit the heinous sins of there, their and they're, or to and too, etc. And I'm sad enough to go back and correct them if I spot them in time.

But as far as other people's posts go I'll try and read everything, as has been said, we're not here to learn English but to talk golf (for the most part anyway), as long as I can understand it I'll read it.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I generally have good punctuation, grammar etc, but dont pull up others.

One thing that sticks in my craw (sic) though, is footballers and others who say "give 110%".

Now that's just stupid.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
You ken who you are and your really starting to piss me off. Couldn't give a flying duck about spelling on a golf forum and if this is how you get your kicks then you really ought to get out more often.

:sbox::rant:

I don't think you should be having a go at poor Ken.

Anyway, it should be 'you're really starting ...'.

Glad to help. No kicks taken.

T

thecraw

I don't think you should be having a go at poor Ken.

Anyway, it should be 'you're really starting ...'.

Glad to help. No kicks taken.

You'll get a kick up the jacksie! Just get back to your shafts!

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
You ken who you are and your really starting to piss me off. Couldn't give a flying duck about spelling on a golf forum and if this is how you get your kicks then you really ought to get out more often.

:sbox::rant:

Good post Craw. I was thinking of this the other day when reading a thread that the spelling police had hijacked. I'm not the best at spelling but do try to get it right, I don't mind if someone want's to correct me. What I wouldn't want to see is if people stop posting for fear of ridicule. The other thing to consider is how many lurkers have been put off joining after reading posts where people are corrected all the time.