Sparky Out ?

Chrimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
Reports seam to suggest that Man City will be sacking Mark Hughes and replacing him with Roberto Mancini (who was watching in the stands).

Now I'm not a fan of Mr Hughes but it does seam a bit rough to get rid of a manager whose team have only lost twice this season and are currently 6th in the league and in the semi final of a cup competition.

B

birdieman

6th ain't good enough for the owners I suspect. They're putting in the £££ and are looking to be no.1.
Agree Sparky is a decent manager but they maybe need someone with more experience and is more distant to the players, not one of the boys like MH.
Patience is not something these foreign owners have much of.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Shoddy decision which shows that football plc will be the death of the game. In years gone by clubs were run albeit as a business, by people with a heart in their club and the game as a whole. Now it is being infested by overseas moneymen who see it as nothing more as a rich plaything club loyalty, time to do the job properly and all the host of other things that made our clubs and league the envy of the world have gone.

I think Hughes did an ok job. I didn't agree with some of his signings (Robinho in particular - sulky one trick pony that will only perform if things are going his way) and it's a job that was always going to take time. I think a Europa league place would have been a good result. It would have given them valauble European experience next season and would have attracted some decent talent to the club in the summer.

I'm not sure Manicini is a good choice. Granted he had success at Milan and is a respected figure in Italy but I'm not sure how he'll cope with the pressures of this role and the quality of the squad he has. I think the timing is awful by the board (nothing new there) and personally I hope CIty flop for the remainder of the season. Had they been mid-table and struggling then fair enough. Sixth and Carling semi-finalists would seem not good enough. Hard to see how anyone could have produced more though

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I actually thought Hughes was lucky to have the players he did that kept him in a job so long....to be fair if he didn't go tonight then nothing would happen for a few weeks, which on current defensive form would end City's season....if they don't get Champions League then they have failed what they (whoever they are) started when they bought them....

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
With large investment comes big pressure to produce.

He has trod on a few toes in the past couple of months. Maybe the pressure, maybe the feeling of "big time charlie"

He, at no point ever had the balance of the side right. It is all well and good buying up attack minded players from foreign shores but, as been proven in the past, when the sun is not shining on their backs they tend to disappear. Not all but a good number.
He should have built from the back with good pro's and then added the flair.

I think the number of draws that city have had has been the problem. I know that they have only lost twice, are in a good position and a semi but had 6 of those draws been wins you could have chucked a couple of losses in and they be in a stronger position table wise.

If there was doubt about his ability to do the job they wanted, it was inevitable that he would be sacked prior to the transfer window opening. It gives the new boy a chance to have a look at the squad for a couple of weeks before decided who to ditch, who to keep and who to bring in to strengthen.
Very well timed if you ask me. BTW I don't think mancini is the right manager to reach their aspirations.

As for Hughes. He will get another job soon and good luck to him.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Myself being a utd fan i have the utmost respect 4 mark hughes espescially as a player,but also as a manager,however now that the big money has come to city i believe the job has become too big 4 sparky.It will take a very big manager who has experience in dealing with big egos to be a success at city,Mancini is not the man.However answer this why did mark hughes buy Teves Bellemy Adebyor,Robinho,and Santa cruz there is no way any manager would be able to shuffle those egos and keep them all happy,that was hughes mistake buying for the sake of spending we all do it when we have a little money burning a hole in our pockets. Having said that Belemy has been a revelation this year so far.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know if things will improve with him gone.

I think the draws in November are what did it. Draws against Liverpool and B'ham (acceptable) Burnley and Hull (rubbish) were hardly good results?

Unlike the rampant days at Chelski once the money rolled, I think it's going to be a long road t.b.h.

To finish top 4 means displacing all the other teams vying for this slot, which usually means Liverpool, Villa, Spurs etc. LFC have lost the plot, but the others are doing pretty well.

I'm not very impressed with the team (MCFC) yet, some good players, but poor results......with this scenario, it's either the players are not so hot after all or the manager isn't up to the job.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
When I heard they were making an announcement I hoped that they were going to say that they were swapping him for Tony Mopery.... :)no such luck,any chance Celtic could get 2 bosses?
Mogga to manage the attacking side and someone to manage the defending part as,as with all his teams we defend like school lassies!

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I actually thought Hughes was lucky to have the players he did that kept him in a job so long....to be fair if he didn't go tonight then nothing would happen for a few weeks, which on current defensive form would end City's season....if they don't get Champions League then they have failed what they (whoever they are) started when they bought them....

Interesting, if you take MU, Chelsea and say Liverpool, or whoever, there is little chance of other clubs getting to the top. All of them cant get there so to compete you have to be better then ManU or Chelsea and the owners need to be realistic or they’re stupid……stupid.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Mark Hughes is a horrible arrogant man hopefully he will move to spain and never work in england again. I am really happy that Man City have replaced him with someone equally clueless.