Played in Pro-Am yesterday

rob2

Head Pro
Visit site
Thought I would fill you guys in about a great day I had yesterday (not trying to show off!)

I was fortunate enough to be invited to play in the “Andy Gray and Gary McAllister Charity Golf Classic” at Celtic Manor yesterday. Teeing it up amongst a load of sportsmen including:

Andy Gray/Gary McAllister (obviously? ?)
Michael Owen (who arrived by helicopter!)
Jamie Redknapp
Lee Sharpe
Ian Rush
Nicky Piper
Gorden Stachan
Charlie Nicholas
Trevor Sinclair
Tony Cottee
Phil Babb
Diddy Haman
John Francombe
Dave Beasant

Some of these boys really can play, Jamie Redknapp won the longest drive with a 310 yard drive (not downhill and not wind assisted!).

It was great being treated like a pro for the day, complimentary Ian Poulter shirt (thankfully a tasteful one!), free Srixon URS balls, Gatorades on the tee boxes, it was great. The staff at the Celtic Manor really looked after us and in the evening we got to listen to a load of footballers slagging each other off, it was brilliant. There was also an auction in the evening and some of the money these boys were chucking around was obscene although all for a good cause. I was bidding on a round with Andy Gray/Gary McAllister at a course of my choosing but bottled out at a grand, glad I managed to keep my hand down as it eventually went at £5500! A day at Sky Sports, £6000, X Factor semi final tickets, £3500. It is a different world. I was also going to bid on a signed Ian Poulter Shirt and signed Ryder cup picture but both went for over a grand each. Some lucky bleeder won a £25k car for a hole in one!!!!!!!!!

The course was in great shape, not overly tough but a challenge. Thankfully the rough was not too punishing. I think I visited most of the fairway bunkers though as my driving was a little erratic.

I got to share a buggy with Dave Jones, Cardiff city manager. Nice guy, who most of the day pointing out what was wrong with Newcastle and what he thought about my clubs Chairman (Simon Jordan). Mind you, he was right on most of it :D

Can’t wait for my next opportunity to get back to Celtic Manor. It was a great venue and the food and wine was great (mind you, everything tastes better when its free!)

Sorry for my ramblings, just wanted to tell someone about a great days golf and the wife just looks at me with a glazed expression.

Anyone got a time machine so I can rewind 24 hours?

Rob2

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
These days are great. I did a couple of the Harry Secombe's in the 80's and they were good fun and even in those days the auction prizes went for silly money.

I'm glad you had a good day and got to play a top track and lived like a pro for the day.

rob2

Head Pro
Visit site
Hey Hywell,

No we played the Roman road, enjoyed it. The 2010 will have to wait for another day (hopefully).

Ankle is much better, cast came off 6 weeks ago although I still have this lace up strap thing that I wear during the day. Doesent hurt too much, but the strap is bloody irritating.

Keen to play as much as possible now to make up for lost time. Still aiming for 3 strokes off of the handicap by the end of the year.

Putting green, here I come............ snore

Rob2

rob2

Head Pro
Visit site
Homer,

I was thinking of you as I drove down the M4 this morning and passed the Ascot turning.

I had to resist the urge to turn off. Although maybe next time.......??

Rob2

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow, how'd you get in to an event like that!?

I want to roll in the circles you do!

Regardless though, its great to see a forumer benefit from a day like this, and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Nice to know you enjoyed yourself, the company and the course. Plus if the weather was like it was here you would have had hat in my book would be a perfect day. :D

Faldo_Fan

Head Pro
Visit site
They are a great experience!

I attended one last year in Portugal with Sir Geoff Hurst and Pat Jennings......both were smashing company and never once looked bored being asked the same questions for the billionth time!

rob2

Head Pro
Visit site
Which Pro did you play with?

I played with Cardiff city manager Dave Jones.

Nice bloke, and very vocal about footballers and managers. Certainly wasn`t worried about voicing his opinions :D

Spent the evening discussing Ricky Hatton, Mike Tyson with Nicky Piper. Lovely bloke (and much taller than I expected!?!)

Rob2

Gustavo

Head Pro
Visit site
You lucky sod !!

Sounds like one hell of a day out, how did you wangle that one ? Dave Jones plays at The Vale Hotel ( CCFC membership, and team training facilities are there ) I've met him up the range a few times, great guy and decent manager too.

I'm not that jealous of you :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mary

Head Pro
Visit site
Wow - sounds like a fantastic day. :cool:

The credit crunch has obviously not reached the high rollers yet then! ;)