Southampton FC

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I hope the owner has long arms for here deep pockets!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26813363

And needs to be encouraged to take an interest too. Wouldn't take much to simply ditch her father's expensive plaything! And this only 5 years after being in administration! Bit puzzled how the (supposed) owner can convert a huge chunk of a cash injection to equity - does she now own more than 100%?:confused:

FFP could cause quite a shake-up for some clubs!

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
do you think the future looks promising or troubled for Southampton?

All about getting her 'on board' imo.

I don't see why Football clubs can't make a profit - or at least nearly so - as well as being competitive. The example of Arsenal might not the best for actual success, but I'd sooner they were all forced to stay within their means more. Wealthy owners, some not wealthy enough, haven't really helped Football imo. They've really just made a lot of Players, Agents and Managers wealthy as well - and cost Fans significantly more for the privilege!

D

Deleted member 15344

They will be ok financially because they will sell some players - Lallana , Shaw and Lovren will be sought after by some big clubs.

D

Deleted member 15344

You didn't read the article did you!

Yep - those players will be sought after by the big teams playing CL - Southampton can say that sale of players won't be needed but it's going to happen - Shaw alone can prob command a £20 mil figure and that won't be turned down - they could prob raise about £50mil from selling those three - when the big clubs come knocking it's safe to say the majority of time the players leave.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
You didn't read the article did you!

a colleague of mine is a saints fan and I effectively did the same thing. For banter I dropped an email out to the team saying saints will have to ship some of their big players.
TBH - I couldn't care less as the premier league has shown it is all about how deep your pockets are and how much money you can borrow.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep - those players will be sought after by the big teams playing CL - Southampton can say that sale of players won't be needed but it's going to happen - Shaw alone can prob command a £20 mil figure and that won't be turned down - they could prob raise about £50mil from selling those three - when the big clubs come knocking it's safe to say the majority of time the players leave.

Actually, inclined to agree. Player ambition is likely to demand it.

Though now that everyone knows their financial position, I think the prices (obscene) could well be less. And they would have to replace them, which could well be an expensive process too. That's pretty much the 'spine' of the team removed!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Southampton always been a selling club to balance the books, their success historically has been funded by developing good young English players then cashing in as and when they have needed, and very hard to see it being any different in the next few years. Them saying none are for sale means nothing in the current football world sadly, they simply couldnt afford to keep an unsettled player if a decent offer is on the table, the game is run (and ruined) by money, and sadly any financial fair play rules are likely to be too late, too weak and if anything structured so that they work more for the current big clubs than those further down

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Must be a slow news day for the tabloids.
We are actually well within the guidelines set by the FFp rules. The money owed on transfers is simply outstanding installments that will be coming due in the coming season.
Ms Liebherr has said several times she is in for the long haul and has no plans to sell the club. The key thing for me now is getting the manager on a new contract. He still has another season to run but that means nothing. In all my years of watching Saints I have never seen such a tight nit unit as they are now, and it comes from the manager. If he stays I think the team will stay together, however if he does leave then I think several of our big names will follow.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Must be a slow news day for the tabloids.
We are actually well within the guidelines set by the FFp rules. The money owed on transfers is simply outstanding installments that will be coming due in the coming season.
Ms Liebherr has said several times she is in for the long haul and has no plans to sell the club. The key thing for me now is getting the manager on a new contract. He still has another season to run but that means nothing. In all my years of watching Saints I have never seen such a tight nit unit as they are now, and it comes from the manager. If he stays I think the team will stay together, however if he does leave then I think several of our big names will follow.

Ah. The benefits of Rose (and Blanc?) tinted glasses!:rofl:

Certainly well within the limits - but, on face value, that's only if the owner fronts up with some more cash! And if she does, the club can overspend by a huge amount (45M Euros this year). And it only matters for UEFA Comps anyway, though any club not complying is admitting their lack of ambition! The £7M loss would put it in breach of the FFP (5M Euros), though Stadium costs need to be separated as they are exempt.

And the £27M still has to be paid - will take a sizable chunk from the Broadcasting income - though that will be considerably more than last year! The additional £6M over last year is probably pretty much balanced by the increased Broadcast Revenue from their significantly better placing. On last year's numbers, that's worth about 4.8M, though the number of games broadcast affects it too (at about .5M/game).

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From the statements today I think they are trying to get it self sufficient as soon as possible, but hinting that Kat will get her chequebook out if it really needs it. I guess the true story will show itself when the transfer window opens again.
One thing I don't understand is how the training ground development has doubled in cost, were going to have a training facility that cost more than the bleedin stadium!:eek:

3Sixty

Medal Winner
Visit site
The new TV deal with be a massive boost no doubt.

Also commercial revenue is low for us as the main sponsorships were all signed in the championship. Saints could easily net £6m-£7m a year when the shirt sponsor expires at the end of the season. Various other more lucrative deals have already been signed since the end of the last financial year.

I'd take that over have £600m debt overlooking the club.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
The new TV deal with be a massive boost no doubt.

Also commercial revenue is low for us as the main sponsorships were all signed in the championship. Saints could easily net £6m-£7m a year when the shirt sponsor expires at the end of the season. Various other more lucrative deals have already been signed since the end of the last financial year.

I'd take that over have £600m debt overlooking the club.

It's down to £485 now. :ears:

D

Deleted member 15344

Rumoured that we are looking at Lovren and Lallana - think they would be cracking signings.

Think can see Shaw going to either Mancs or Chelsea

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rumoured that we are looking at Lovren and Lallana - think they would be cracking signings.

Think can see Shaw going to either Mancs or Chelsea

Not totally sure about Lovern but Lallana? Oh yes please!
Great midfielder and would fit in really nicely with Rogers style of play.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not totally sure about Lovern but Lallana? Oh yes please!
Great midfielder and would fit in really nicely with Rogers style of play.

Think Lovren would be a cracking signing , classy CB with a bit of steel.

Add those two plus a strong ox in the middle would be my choices for the summer