South Yorkshire Golf

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thinking about a short break at the end of May,

I like the look of Hillsborough GC and Rotherham GC

can anyone give me honest reviews of these two and recommendations for one other, travelling from the midlands, so not much further North if possible

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm from Doncaster originally and I can confirm that Rotherham is superb. Great condition, elevation changes and a fantastic clubhouse. Never played Hillsborough but can recommend Hallamshire. Not strictly South Yorks but in nearby Worksop you have Worksop GC (home of Lee Westwood) and Lindrick (a former Ryder Cup venue).

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Hillsborough is a really nice track. Not played it for a long time but really enjoyed it.

There are a lot of decent options in and around South Yorkshire. Renishaw Park, down on the Derbyshire border, always used to be a good day out, as is Bondhay, although I believe that may just be in Nottinghamshire.

dronfield

Visit site
I live in Sheffield and have played most of the courses and so my unbiased views are;

Hallamshire - imo the best course in the area. Very tough particularly if the wind blows. Clubhouse has a nice cabinet with Matt Fitzpatrick trophies in it.
Lindrick - def worth playing due to the Ryder Cup connections

Dore & Totley, Abbeydale, Hillsborough and Rotherham are all nice courses, similar standard - Rotherham has a fab clubhouse.

Bondhay - quasi muni and will be the cheapest. Is long and tough.

Hope this helps

Rich