some question regarding clubs.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry for all the questions I will number them to make it easy to follow.

I am going to get myself a couple of new rescue/hybred clubs to replace my 3 and 4 iron.

1. What degree loft should I be looking for?

I am also looking to buy a new 3 wood.

2. Can you get these custom fitted or is it just irons you can get fitted.

3. Can you get old clubs custom fit eg. my mp15's when I bought them I didnt know anything about custom fitting.
I hope to keep them for a few years yet and wonder is it an option to get them cutom fitted now?

4.Does anyone know the loft of mp15s PW and SW as I want to buy a new wedge to fall in between, either side of them?

5. Last one I promise, until I think of more ;)What is a good spread of wedge degrees eg Mickelson carries 4 what degrees would they spread?

Thanks again folks and hopefully some day I can answer some questions instead of asking them all.. :cool:

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
1) All depends on how far you hit the clubs eitherside of your gap

2)You can (and definitly should get all clubs custom fitted.
The advantage with this is, if you take in your bag, the pro will be able to work out what clubs you need to fill all the gaps in your bag and then custom fill that/them club/s to best suit you.

3)Go to a mizuno fitting centre or most club makers/ pro's should be able to 'tweak' the clubs should you need to.

4/5) your PW should be 48 and your SW 56. So you could get a gap 52 and a lob 60. But do you really need 4? Most people have the first 3 and drop the lob, you can always open the SW to get a few extra degree's

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry for all the questions I will number them to make it easy to follow.

I am going to get myself a couple of new rescue/hybred clubs to replace my 3 and 4 iron.

1. What degree loft should I be looking for?

a 3 iron replacement is about 20/21 degrees.

I am also looking to buy a new 3 wood.

2. Can you get these custom fitted or is it just irons you can get fitted.

Yes......definitely worth C-F on a 3 wood. please :)

3. Can you get old clubs custom fit eg. my mp15's when I bought them I didnt know anything about custom fitting.
I hope to keep them for a few years yet and wonder is it an option to get them cutom fitted now?

Absolutely.....although there's nothing you can do with the shaft flex (other than re-shaft). I had a set of Mizuno's retro-fitted.....it was not cheap, I had the lofts and lies done and the shafts extended by 1/2 inch, which meant new grips. A re-loft/lie shouldn't cost too much.

4.Does anyone know the loft of mp15s PW and SW as I want to buy a new wedge to fall in between, either side of them?

SW are 90% still 56 degrees, but recent Mizuno's have been 55. Last time I looked at Mizuno iron spec's the PW were approx 46 degrees. The fact that Mizuno are making 46/55 degrees explains their addition of 51 degree gap wedge (i.e. this figure is NOT by accident)....this is what you should get probabaly.

5. Last one I promise, until I think of more ;)What is a good spread of wedge degrees eg Mickelson carries 4 what degrees would they spread?

I don't use my 60 very often. Current trend is to carry either PW/Gap/SW or PW/SW/Lob. Some folks have all 4. It's personal choice.

Thanks again folks and hopefully some day I can answer some questions instead of asking them all.. :cool:

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
Interesting this thread has gone into wedge lofts as I'm currently reconsidering my wedge set. I play a 52* 56* and 60* (don't count the silly lofted PW from modern sets as a wedge anymore) and am considering dumping the 60* and tweaking my 52* to 53* and replacing the 56* SW with a 58* which I'll tweak to 57*.

Hope this will open up my options at the top end of the bag.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't blame you 23rd. I've been through all sorts of plans since aquiring my new irons. Basicaly, the new irons are numbered 4-PW but hit the ball the same as my old 3-9I.
Therefore my PW isn't really quite right for 90-105 I used to be good at, I need to take too much off it. I have a 52, and I'm hoping to tweak it to 50 for bang on 100 yds.
I guess we should really learn to hit the distances with one club, but with 45 degree PWs it's tempting to go the gap route.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed, have had a gap wedge with both of my last sets of irons. Current Orka irons have a 45 degree PW and a 54 degree SW so they agreed to tweek one of their FK2 wedges for me to 50 degrees to fill the gap. Also have a 60 degree Nike wedge which I am starting to get more confident with.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't see how anyone could do without a 'gap' wedge. After all, 10 years ago we'd never have taken our PW out of the bag!

Maybe I should put the PW from my old set back in the bag.

These clubs are crucial scoring irons for all standards of player.....it's madness to see the way things are going.

What good is a gap from 85 to 120....which is what I have. :(

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

From the answers above I have got plenty of information.

1. I understand a 3 iron is 20/21 degrees. I am still unsure of what to replace my 4 iron with. I will start looking for these new clubs in the next week.

2. I will get them custom fitted when I buy them.

3. I will go to AG and speak to them about custom fitting my exsisting irons.

4/5 I think I will go with 3 wedges my PW/SW and one other to be decided.
I will probally try a few as see how they feel.

It would seem you can get any degree wedge tweaked you want...

Thanks again.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Meant to say I have started hitting my PW and SW to get some sort of measure for my distance which will have a influence on what I choose.

I have never worked my wedges for distance before. Its good when you hit them straight....

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am still unsure of what to replace my 4 iron with.

I personaly wouldn't bother. It's a lot of cash for 12 yards.....I use my 3 for 4 distance, I'd rather choke down an inch than spend £100! For me, it's a thin end of the wedge thing.....before you know it you have 3 £100 rescues.....

It would seem you can get any degree wedge tweaked you want...

Not all.....depends on the hosel design.....better to buy the exact loft.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
23d, I have my PW bent to 50, then my gap to 53 and left my lob/sand at 58 as I feel that is the best compromise.

In fact all my irons are "traditional" lofts i.e. one club weak,who needs a 7iron that goes 170!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Got to admit that I've gone down the 4 wedge route, not because of copying some pro, but because my irons are PW 46deg and SW 55deg. Needed something for those sub 100 yard drop in shots over bunkers etc, that's where the 52 comes in, and it's a sweet club. The 60 is great out of green side bunkers, hardly use the SW anymore, guess I could drop that from the bag and would probably replace it with a 3 wood.

Doesn't matter what you do, we'll always mess with the 14 we're allowed, even when you have 20 clubs, there's always another one in the wings waiting to be bought!!