Some Pointers For A New Club Member?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm likely to join a club for the first time at the end of this year. Having only played with friends up until now though, I'm just wondering if there's any advice you can give me so I don't make a faux pas, particularly in competitions and so on? Things to remember that are different, etc? For example - playing with mates, if we lose a ball in the trees we tend to just take a drop in the roundabout area where it was - but in competition rules presumably you'd have take another tee shot.

Any other competition rules or differences that I might not be aware of so I don't make a tit of myself? Like a what not to do list? :D

Or to look at it another way - think back to when you joined a club for the first time, did you ever put your foot in it and make any real schoolboy errors early on? :lol:

russo

Club Champion
Visit site
Dont be shy to say to you playing partners on the day that you are new to golf, at least for formal competition golf. If youre unsure of a ruling/decision ask for advice. Be chatty/sociable/friendly on the day to help you integrate, not during shots though and just have fun. Help look for lost balls if you can. Dont laugh at a partners bad shot. As you play a lot more comps you'll build up your experience.

D

Deleted member 1147

If it may be lost or in trouble take a provisional. It may seem like you're wasting time, if it ends up not being lost, but it saves lots of time if it is lost.

Shout 4 it you aren't sure if there are people near your wild shots. Again, you may think it unnecessary, but it's better than nearly hitting the club captain and his buddies, who happen to be hidden from view.

Dont' feel the need to rush, but don't be slow about getting on with the game.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Dont be shy to say to you playing partners on the day that you are new to golf, at least for formal competition golf. If youre unsure of a ruling/decision ask for advice. Be chatty/sociable/friendly on the day to help you integrate, not during shots though and just have fun. Help look for lost balls if you can. Laugh at a partners bad shot (it breaks the ice :whistle: ). As you play a lot more comps you'll build up your experience.

This pretty much sums it up :thup:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Dont be shy to say to you playing partners on the day that you are new to golf, at least for formal competition golf. If youre unsure of a ruling/decision ask for advice. Be chatty/sociable/friendly on the day to help you integrate, not during shots though and just have fun. Help look for lost balls if you can. Dont laugh at a partners bad shot. As you play a lot more comps you'll build up your experience.

This ^^^ and see if you can get yourself the Rules Quick Summary - or look online at the R&A or USGA rules sites, as they have key rules. Just get to be confident that you know the basics rules and etiquette. None of us know the lot - even the rules experts. And there are plenty here :)

If there is something you are not sure of just do a search of this site as all you will want to know will have been covered - or simply post the question and you'll get an answer. And don't worry about posting a question if you think it must have been covered before - if it has someone will direct you to a relevant posting on the forum

AlanMills

Hacker
Visit site
Other than the obvious yes, learn the rules stuff I would also offer any player at a club the following advice...

Just play YOUR game. You'll be out with different people each competition. Sometimes low and sometimes high handicapper. Sometimes long hitters and sometimes shorter hitters. If out with better/longer players than yourself do NOT try to keep up. play your own game.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
We play for fun and none of us know each and every rule, so play your own game and don't be worried about asking for help regarding rules & etiquette.

For example I cannot see a PP's tee shot direction unless I stand behind them, therefore if I don't know them I always ask if it is ok to stand behind when they tee off.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm likely to join a club for the first time at the end of this year. Having only played with friends up until now though, I'm just wondering if there's any advice you can give me so I don't make a faux pas, particularly in competitions and so on? Things to remember that are different, etc? For example - playing with mates, if we lose a ball in the trees we tend to just take a drop in the roundabout area where it was - but in competition rules presumably you'd have take another tee shot.

Any other competition rules or differences that I might not be aware of so I don't make a tit of myself? Like a what not to do list? :D

Or to look at it another way - think back to when you joined a club for the first time, did you ever put your foot in it and make any real schoolboy errors early on? :lol:

Out of interest which club ?

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Don't worry too much about rules, you will pick it up quickly but always ask when in doubt before you do anything. Keep still when others are playing, don't stand behind the flag or the player when players are putting, be ready to play when it's your turn. Oh, and if you have loose change in your pocket only rattle it when it really matters. :D

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haste Hill in Northwood. It's local and cheap and I like the course. And the clubhouse does a mean breakfast, that's the main thing. :)

Thanks for all the top advice, guys.
A much under rated attribute - good food, we have a very good halfway house, would hate to be without it.

I don't know Haste Hill but enjoy your membership.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just one quick point about the rules, never EVER pick up your ball before a) consulting your playing partners and b) marking where it lies with a tee peg.

The only exception is winter rules when it is fine to just mark and replace without consulting them.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All great advice. I was in the same boat earlier this year. I've found that getting involved and speaking to members, joining in the comps with whoever you can play alongside works so well. You'll be suprised how many members are pleased to play with new members, least they are at my club. Like some have said just mention your new, they'll help you on the way but if in doubt - ask.

Every comp I've played this year I've rang the pro and been put in with a 2 ball and been welcomed each time, as times gone on I've a choice of a couple of groups that I can play alongside. Just get stuck in and enjoy it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just one quick point about the rules, never EVER pick up your ball before a) consulting your playing partners and b) marking where it lies with a tee peg.

The only exception is winter rules when it is fine to just mark and replace without consulting them.
Ah, winter rules, that's another thing. The other my pal and I were teeing off and there was a sign up saying 'winter rules are in play' or similar. But we didn't know what that meant to be honest. Since I used to play a lot less than I do now, I generally gave it a miss in winter and came back when it was warmer. What typically would 'winter rules' refer to, besides that one you just said?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah, winter rules, that's another thing. The other my pal and I were teeing off and there was a sign up saying 'winter rules are in play' or similar. But we didn't know what that meant to be honest. Since I used to play a lot less than I do now, I generally gave it a miss in winter and came back when it was warmer. What typically would 'winter rules' refer to, besides that one you just said?

Preferred Lies - Lift, clean and replace. Make sure you stick a tee in the ground where your ball is (only on the fairway though) and you can lift, clean and replace your ball near your tee but no nearer to the hole.

GeeJay

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When you're playing comps in a club, an important element/behaviour is respect. Have respect for the club, the captain, the ground staff, the course, your playing partners/fellow members and yourself. Everything else will fall into place as you gain playing experience.

Enjoy it. Playing in a good club is a lot of fun.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you're playing comps in a club, an important element/behaviour is respect. Have respect for the club, the captain, the ground staff, the course, your playing partners/fellow members and yourself. Everything else will fall into place as you gain playing experience.

Enjoy it. Playing in a good club is a lot of fun.
Ah that goes without saying. :thup:

G

guest100718

And tell everyone what ball you are using .