Solo Golf Trip to Scotland

g-double

Hacker
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

On April 19th I'll be landing in Edinburgh to start a 9 day solo-golf trip in the Aberdeen and St. Andrews areas of Scotland.

I'm looking for members of clubs/courses to play with at various links courses so that I can get a feel for the culture and history of the club as well as enjoy the course with someone sure to love and appreciate its nuances. Additionally, it won't hurt to not need a caddie at every course given the local knowledge members possess.

About me: I'm a 35 y/o male, who hasn't played much golf the last few months given the winter here in Colorado, who currently plays to between an 8 and 10 HCP. I'm a member of a links course here in Colorado and I'm completely in love with everything about links golf, including the unpredictable weather. I don't play slow, don't throw or ground clubs, am respectful of the course and am generally considered good company on the course.

Courses I'm looking to play:

Aberdeen, Scotland between 4/20 and 4/23 (based out of Aberdeen and traveling by train/bus/whatever)

Royal Aberdeen
Cruden Bay
Murcar Links
Newburgh on Ythan

St. Andrews between 4/24 and 4/28 (I'll be very near the 18th green of The Old Course and will travel mostly by foot/bus/getting a ride)

Elie
Kingsbarns

I'm open to some other suggestions as well. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like some more information or have ideas to discuss in private, such as better places to meet members of these clubs/courses. Also, if you happen to know of a similar site for Ireland I'd appreciate that information as I'll be there by myself from April 6 - April 19th.

Thank you,

Garen

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds a great trip, hope some of the Scots contingent on here can sort you out, we also have quite a few members from Ireland on here too.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just curious but why aren't you playing any of the courses in St Andrews?

g-double

Hacker
Visit site
louise: Thank you for the well wishes.

drive4show: I thought that might look weird. A friend of mine in London has introduced me to someone on the board of the local golf community there in St. Andrews so I'm confident he will sort me out. If he doesn't, I will likely inquire here for some company. Regardless, rest assured that I will be playing in and around St. Andrews until I can't walk as it's where I'm finishing my trip.

D

Deleted Member 1156

No problem :thup:

Heads up for you, you can buy a 3 day pass for the courses in St Andrews, I believe it entitles you to 3 rounds on any of the courses apart from the Old. Much cheaper than paying individual green fees. Have a look on the website for details

http://www.standrews.com/Play/Offers-and-packages

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
sorry i can't help with your trip as I'm in the North near inverness.

but enjoy.

Also which courses are near the sea in Colorado?

g-double

Hacker
Visit site
Thank you for the compliments on the course, we're quite proud of it. Also, thank you for the welcome to the forum.

Re: Ireland, I'm spending six days in Tralee, two days Around Belmullet (Carne, Enniscrone, Strandhill) and then about five days in and around Letterkenny.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

On April 19th I'll be landing in Edinburgh to start a 9 day solo-golf trip in the Aberdeen and St. Andrews areas of Scotland.

I'm looking for members of clubs/courses to play with at various links courses so that I can get a feel for the culture and history of the club as well as enjoy the course with someone sure to love and appreciate its nuances. Additionally, it won't hurt to not need a caddie at every course given the local knowledge members possess.

About me: I'm a 35 y/o male, who hasn't played much golf the last few months given the winter here in Colorado, who currently plays to between an 8 and 10 HCP. I'm a member of a links course here in Colorado and I'm completely in love with everything about links golf, including the unpredictable weather. I don't play slow, don't throw or ground clubs, am respectful of the course and am generally considered good company on the course.

Courses I'm looking to play:

Aberdeen, Scotland between 4/20 and 4/23 (based out of Aberdeen and traveling by train/bus/whatever)

Royal Aberdeen
Cruden Bay
Murcar Links
Newburgh on Ythan

St. Andrews between 4/24 and 4/28 (I'll be very near the 18th green of The Old Course and will travel mostly by foot/bus/getting a ride)

Elie
Kingsbarns

I'm open to some other suggestions as well. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like some more information or have ideas to discuss in private, such as better places to meet members of these clubs/courses. Also, if you happen to know of a similar site for Ireland I'd appreciate that information as I'll be there by myself from April 6 - April 19th.

Thank you,

Garen

You unlucky sod.

40+ people from this forum are playing Cruden bay, Murcar, Trump international (twice) and Carnoustie (championship and burnside) between 28th April and 2nd May - we miss you by less than a week.

We also have large discounts, and I mean large, from the normal green fees and it would be a great chance for you to meet some forummers.

Here is the link to our thread in the arrange a game section.

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sh...rnoustie-April-May-2016&p=1463575#post1463575

Unless you could change your flights...........if you were interested, e-mail us on Trump2016@hotmail.com, if your a democrat, dont be too hard on us.;)

g-double

Hacker
Visit site
I can't possibly be that unlucky to have found the time off to make this trip happen, but you're right in the sense that I could clearly be luckier.

There is no possible way for me to change my flights because of work. That does sound like a truly amazing gathering and I'll be sure to read about it once it's done!

Thank you for the invitation to participate.

I'll leave all political commentary in my head.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Thank you for the compliments on the course, we're quite proud of it. Also, thank you for the welcome to the forum.

Re: Ireland, I'm spending six days in Tralee, two days Around Belmullet (Carne, Enniscrone, Strandhill) and then about five days in and around Letterkenny.

Carne and Enniscrone are both outstanding examples of rugged natural links. I can't recommend them highly enough :thup:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can't possibly be that unlucky to have found the time off to make this trip happen, but you're right in the sense that I could clearly be luckier.

There is no possible way for me to change my flights because of work. That does sound like a truly amazing gathering and I'll be sure to read about it once it's done!

Thank you for the invitation to participate.

I'll leave all political commentary in my head.

Shame fella.

If your ever in the NW of England, post up on here, a few are members of good courses, but you also have Royal Liverpool, Royal Lytham ST. Annes, Birkdale (all open venues) as well as many other top courses like Hillside, S and A (Ryder cup venue) all within 30-40 minutes drive from each other.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Hi and welcome to the forum.

When you are in the Letterkenny area I would be happy to meet up for a game or two at my club, I'm a member at Ballyliffin where we have two top class links courses.

Just let me know your dates and we can sort something out a bit closer to the time.

A couple of photo sets to whet your appetite, courtesy of Kevin Markham who occasionally posts on here as well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmarkham/sets/72157622077985084/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmarkham/sets/72157622074687152/

D

Deleted member 17920

Hi and welcome to the forum.

When you are in the Letterkenny area I would be happy to meet up for a game or two at my club, I'm a member at Ballyliffin where we have two top class links courses.

Just let me know your dates and we can sort something out a bit closer to the time.

A couple of photo sets to whet your appetite, courtesy of Kevin Markham who occasionally posts on here as well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmarkham/sets/72157622077985084/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmarkham/sets/72157622074687152/
Just had a look at the pics and wow, your place looks incredible.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site

I played Enniscrone and Strandhill last year on our annual boys golf holiday, two cracking courses I'm sure you'll enjoy. The Irish hospitality is second to none, so much so, that we're doing Dublin this year.

Enjoy your golf break.

g-double

Hacker
Visit site
Thank you everyone, I couldn't be looking forward to the break with greater anticipation.

Duckster: Thank you for the suggestion about contacting Ru Macdonald.

In classic fashion I am now considering limiting my time in NW Ireland and playing Royal Portrush and Portstewart in N. Ireland instead.

For those of you that have played in NW Ireland, if you could pick only one place to play between Rosapenna, Portsalon, and Narin & Portnoo, which would you choose and why?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I might be able to help a little with games around St Andrews / Kingsbarns. With it being a week before the aforementioned Aberdeen mega forum trip, it might be tricky for me to get much time away from work/family but happy to chat about possibilities.

Assuming your budget is already pretty high you really should try to play the Old Course if you're coming this far anyway. I'd be happy to partner up in the ballot, I just won't be able to commit until nearer the time.