So do I really need this £200 driver.....

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst working in Leeds this week I popped into Left Handed Golf, seeing s I'm left hnded.

Well afer talking to the bloke for a while I ended up on the scope monitor thingy hitting drivers.

I warmed up with a seven iron then hit a few with an RBZ 3 wood which I have so was comfy with that.

Then after the pro watching me for a few shots asked me how long Ive been playing, my handicap and looked at how far I was hitting the 3 wood.

I usually hit it 200 yard carry, he said his range balls we're 80% or a real ball so my carry of about 165 on the scope monitor was correct.

So he then gave me three drivers, a Cleveland Launcher, Cleveland Classic and an RBZ driver. All with stiff shafts to match the 3 wood.

I've never really hit a driver before except for trying someones at the range, never carried on in my bag. I have been thinking that I need the extra length off the tee to help me reduce my scores, but if if 250 ish with my 3 wood should need a driver? My home course is quite tight so I thinks its better to be on the fairway but a little further back, rather than in the trees 330 yards down?

So I hit these drivers, some shots went Ok, some sliced wildly left, some hooked right. The scope monitor each time telling him spin rate, launch angle distance and so on. With the Launcher I didnt hit one good shot, so he told me to discount that one, the Classic was going fairly well, the RBZ a bit more random series of shots. He then changed the loft of the RBZ and I hit a few more, but suprisingly seeing as I have a 3 wood I didnt like to look and feel of the driver, so discount that h told me This left me with the Classic, a horrid looking thing, styled like an old wooden wood, But it was going pretty well. He was then telling me I should buy this club. I asked about Pings or Callaways and he told me that you could try all of then but as your hitting this well why not make the choice.

Is what he was watching classed as a fitting or was I just being sold a club?

Anyway, so he ended up letting me try a Callaway Razar 3. Which looks nice and felt good behind the ball. I hit a few shots, the ball flight was good, nice a low, about 200 yard carry with the 80% ball. A few shots were still sliced or hooked. Remember Ive never really hit a drier before.

I ended up buying this club the Callaway. He also sold me 1 dozen NXt tours on a buy one get one free as i'd spend more the £150.

When I got home I started to think do I really need it. Would £200 be better spent on lessons making me more consistent with the 3 wood and short game etc?

I played today and used my three wood. Out of the 12 holes that need a driver or 3 wood, 4 went dead centre or the fairway, 6 were pulled right into the first cut of rough and 2 were topped 100 yards. I ended up shooting 88.

Surely a driver is going to make my round worse?

I'm confused, i'm sure ive made the right decision, but in the pros words "you do need a driver, now you've got something you feel comfortable with, you'll learn to hit it"

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
You'll be OK. It might just take some time to get used to it.

Big hitters do struggle to make the most of drivers though, and you'll no doubt go through the mill a bit over this decision.

Now you've got it, I guess you've got some work to do. Until you are straight and long, it'll always sit in the bag taunting you.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
probably not but it looks great in the bag and the new shiney feeling is great!

if your place is tight and 250 off the tee with a 3 wood is good enough for you i can understand your concerns over the new driver.

give it a go over a few rounds pick and choose driver/3wood or if its quiet knock both off the tee and see how you go.

I suspect you will grow to love it in the end.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
To make the best of your potential - Yes.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder how you did without it. Could be a bit frustrating at first though.

Don't try to smash it every time. Rhythm and Timing is the key. No real difference from all the other clubs, just tends to magnify any tendencies/faults that might be under the covers with other clubs.

Good Luck

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
book a lesson and get him to tweak your swing for driver, I did and its been a revelation! I was fine with my 4 wood but pants with driver. Had a lesson last week and am hitting driver almost consistantly well already. Best 40 quid I have spent so far :)

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you think I'd be better off buying a 2nd hand driver or cheaper driver first? Then moving up or just stick with the £200 one straight off.

Would carry should I achieve with a driver if If getting 200 ish with a three wood?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you think I'd be better off buying a 2nd hand driver or cheaper driver first? Then moving up or just stick with the £200 one straight off.

Would carry should I achieve with a driver if If getting 200 ish with a three wood?

Have you bought it? How are you going to take it back? You could have bought a £50 driver out the paper?

You've done it now. Stick with it, if you can't use it much around your course, you will get opportunities, or just bash it around and get yourself out of trouble when it goes wrong.

If you are carrying your 3 wood 200, then 230 is probably achievable. Then again, you've no doubt bought a 10 or 11 degree driver, so maybe not as much.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why on earth were you on a trackman (or similar) and he was using an 80% range ball and then guessing the real numbers.

Personally wouldnt come close to buying a driver in that situ if he couldnt get a few proper golf balls out to see the real numbers!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why on earth were you on a trackman (or similar) and he was using an 80% range ball and then guessing the real numbers.

Best not to ask I fear.

Did I read 165 carry on the LM for 3 wood? How can that help anybody?

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never been on one so guessed it was the norm.

I could post it back for a refund if I choose to do that.

I feel a bit stpuid for buying it now.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Callaway Razr X Black 10.5 fujikura motore f8 60 s-flex

I have the stiff on my 3 wood RBZ and get on fine with it. The pro were I bought the 3 wood from said that I have a fast head speed so stiff would suit me fine.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i think you were just sold a club you didn't want/need,i wouldn't class this as being fitted for anything (typical AG fitting) and i would have just left if any shop didn't let me try the club i wanted to try.

Jungle

Head Pro
Visit site
I recently purchased my 1st driver.

I went down the 2nd hand route. Picked up a callaway from here for £45. Bit of a gamble as you can't try it but I'm getting on fine with it.

Last week I bought a hybrid from AG. I quite enjoyed the idea of trying them on the simulator.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely agree that this doesn't consitute a fitting and you've been sold a club you don't need to want (buyers regret). See if you can send it back or perhaps get a lesson and try and play with it. I think ultimately you'll need a driver, and be able to use it especially if you play a few away games.

Shiny

Head Pro
Visit site
My 'Driver Fitting' at the same place was try these 3 drivers on the trackman then you seem to be hitting this one the best, that will be £xxx please. Makes American Golf/Direct Golf look good.

The search still goes on for a decent fitting in West Yorkshire.

Jungle

Head Pro
Visit site
Being a novice and maybe playing devils advocate abit. Why would this be seen as picking up a club he doesn't need.

At the start I stuck with 3 wood but always felt I needed a driver in my bag. I bought my club blind 2nd hand which could have been a disaster.

The OP has went to a shop and tried several available and plumped for the one he felt was best with aesthetics playing a part.

It's only natural that after shelling out £200 you question the purpose that feeling isn't unique to golf.

I can't see much wrong with the route he's taken.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
to update this, I've contacted the seller and i'm sending it back for a refund.

I've played two rounds since buying it and my 3 wood on my home course is fine. Its not as long as my friends driver who plays of a 10 hcp but i'm longer than another friend who plays of 14 hcp, i'm 16hcp. (scored 38 points yesterday)

For now I think the £200 would be better spent on some lessons to make my irons and 3 wood more consistent. Then maybe buy a 2nd hand driver, of golfbidder or something end of line heavily discounted (aprox £50-£80) then learn to use that before buying again.

Thanks for all your help.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
to update this, I've contacted the seller and i'm sending it back for a refund.

I've played two rounds since buying it and my 3 wood on my home course is fine. Its not as long as my friends driver who plays of a 10 hcp but i'm longer than another friend who plays of 14 hcp, i'm 16hcp. (scored 38 points yesterday)

For now I think the £200 would be better spent on some lessons to make my irons and 3 wood more consistent. Then maybe buy a 2nd hand driver, of golfbidder or something end of line heavily discounted (aprox £50-£80) then learn to use that before buying again.

Thanks for all your help.

.............is the correct answer :)