Snowdon

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
So this what it's like on Snowdon these days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58283816

I've climbed up every mountain Wales (Nuttall's guide), and I've bagged Snowdon many times including the Horseshoe which includes some scrambling.
Bank holiday is approaching. As an alternative get hold of the Mountains of Wales by John and Ann Nuttall and choose a route over another peak. Over 180 are described.

If you are tempted, please don't litter. That includes items like banana skins, which do not decompose easily at altitude.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They have been discussing it this lunchtime on Radio 2. I had to chuckle at the amount of callers who rang in and said "we visited last week/month and we were really surprised how busy it was. there were loads here and we had to queue to get up to the top". They obviously didn't think they were part of the problem. :eek:

D

Deleted member 3432

Massive spike is coastal and mountain rescues (and fatalities) these last two summers. Many of the incidents were avoidable.

Similar up here in the Lake District, absolutely rammed with people who don't have a clue.

Keep well away myself in the summer months, in fact just back from my holidays in Fort William where you have far more space and less tourists.

Very noticeable that the helicopter was out most evenings sweeping up the lost and stranded on Ben Nevis but that's fairly standard up there....

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is a fine line between snobbery and safety in that article that blurs a bit much for me.

The last line really sums it all up, please come, but respect it. A lot probably do underestimate the challenge of the climb I expect, and i have huge respect for the mountain rescue guys, but you can only do so much in terms of education. Just look at other aspects of life right now, the information is there to make informed decisions, its up to the individual to take. Darwin had a good theory.....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember my daughter saying the only time she felt scared in all her life was taking one of the harder routes to the top of Snowdon and she is a very experienced mountain walker. Just seeing the photos of the ridge they had to cross made me wince a bit.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Since the first lockdown the Malvern hills have been cram packed, they are a range of small hills that rise to around 1,300 feet quite steeply and it's really noticeable the increase of footpath erosion and litter of late due to the big increase in visitors. Not suggesting people shouldn't use them but the cost of maintenance falls onto the rates of local residents.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a mountaineer & hillwalker, I always believed that the point of going to the mountains was to get away from the crowds? So another visit to Snowdon ain't on the cards any time soon...

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of my fav mountain walks the Snowdon Horseshoe, best time was with my daughter just before I emigrated to NZ where nearest mountain was higher than Scafell Pike and in the 3 times I climbed it saw just 2 other people up it, bliss. Loved being in the Mountains with no one around until my knees gave up.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My son and family was there last week. Bad weather prevented them getting to the top. He didn't comment on it being busy, although they went to the mountain mid week

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Best places to avoid in Wales in the coming BH weekend:
Snowdonia, Colwyn Bay, Llangollen (one big traffic jam).

Best places to visit :
Any mountain areas not part of Snowdonia or the Brecon Beacons.
Instead, I recommend the Arans, Arenigs, Moelwyns, Rhinogs, Berwyns.
There is a coastal way all around Wales, the Wales Coast Path.
It doesn't always follow the coast, but there should be plenty of space along beaches and clifftops.
The Pembrokeshire CP and the Anglesey CP sections are first rate.
Take a visit to the Preseli Hills in Pembrokeshire or Holyhead Mountain on Anglesey.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I did the 3 peaks (Snowdon, Scafell Pike, Ben Nevis) one August BH weekend.
Back to work on Tuesday shattered.
Too much driving and I wouldn't recommend doing all 3 in 1 day like so many aspire to do.
These are more like mountains than hills and in bad weather they are potentially dangerous.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
54904CB8-5723-4892-A50B-945455D3747A.jpg

funnily enough 4 years ago today. Chap at the front is now training to be a mountain guide. Jacked his job in and went part time to chase his dream. He’s in the mountains every weekend.
My little legs can’t take it but will come out of retirement for Cullins ridge when he goes.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
View attachment 38145

funnily enough 4 years ago today. Chap at the front is now training to be a mountain guide. Jacked his job in and went part time to chase his dream. He’s in the mountains every weekend.
My little legs can’t take it but will come out of retirement for Cullins ridge when he goes.

If you're thinking of going with him, your little legs need to come out of retirement early. The Cuillin ridge is in a rather different league than Crib Goch.