Snapped shaft!

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I stupidly managed to snap the shaft of my pw today,can you take the 6 iron and cut it to length or would this affect flex etc,seen a few 6 irons on ebay but no shafts,and the shaft is no longer in production,seems like a cheaper option than sending to taylormade as they will pop a speed blade shaft in it.

G

guest100718

you'll need a wedge shaft, you can get one from gamola for 13 quid or ebay will have 2nd hand ones. try the for sale forum here as well. Its an easy DIY job.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can easily change a shaft,done it loads of times,I think the stock pw shaft is the same as the rest of the set though at 85g.you don't tend to get wedge shafts with pw/gw which come with a set.more concerned over flex.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Key question - are they .355 taper or .370 parallel?

If the latter, you could buy a .370 6 iron shaft from eBay, tip trim the required amount and install.

.355 is more difficult. It is said that an 8 iron shaft in one flex stiffer works well as a 'spinner' shaft in wedge, but I've never heard of anyone using a 6 iron shaft in 2 flexes stiffer. Also, you might not want a spinner in your PW; you'd more likely benefit in AW-LW.

In short, I don't think a .355 6 iron shaft would be a good idea.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They are 0.370 parallel, how much would I need to trim the tip? Already bought the 6 iron.

Depends on the shaft. If they are oem, then the oem website would likely tell you the recommended tipping amount; if they are not oem shafts (i.e one of Taylormade's own), then you'll struggle to find the recommendation.

What I would suggest you do is (numbers are there for explanation only):

- dry fit the 6 iron shaft in your pw
- with shaft fully inserted, measure the distance from the hosel to the first step in the shaft (e.g 6")
- measure the same distance on your 9 iron and aw (e.g. 4.25" and 3.75")
- take the average of your 9 iron and aw (e.g. 4")
- tip the 6 iron shaft the amount required to hit that average (e.g. 2")

I would expect you'd need to tip somewhere between 1.75" and 2.25". You'll know whether or not you've done it approximately right as when you line up your irons, the shaft steps should be lower from one club to the next in a nice linear manner.

Good luck!

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
FWIW, my GW is tipped marginally more than my PW… and this is the stock setup as they left the Adams factory.

In all honesty though, you won't be able to notice an extra 0.25" of tipping.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well got the snapped shaft out,has a swing weight in there for good measure! Anyhow the gap wedge is a heavier shaft than the pw in this set so the 6 iron looks good for a replacement.
Thanks for the advice mab,the shaft steps are definitely staggered, taking just 2" off the 6 iron should fit it perfectly.