Smiffy meets Marine Boy........

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Had one of the biggest laughs ever on a golf course today.
Playing in the Seniors Open at Chartham Park with Dave Neal (Heronsghyll) and his mate Guy.
Teed off the 10th, got to our 7th hole (16th par 4) which has a large bay of water on the left hand side of the dogleg, which then becomes a lake that you have to play over to the green.
Dave pulled his tee shot quite badly and it was heading for the bay of water which is surrounded by trees.
We heard it clatter around in them and walked across from where mine and Guys tee shots had landed to see if we could find Daves ball.
Luckily it had gone through the trees, and was lying on the cart path.
Dave proceeded to take relief as we walked back to our balls, but we then heard him say "I can't find my club".
We turned round puzzled, and he then said "I can't find my golf bag!!"
We wondered what the hell was going on, but then came to the conclusion that his electric trolley, along with all his clubs, must have carried on going down the cart path and into the water, which was quite deep! We couldn't see anything, Guy went and got an extendable ball retriever and had a prod in various parts of the bay, but no joy.
Dave had his car keys and mobile phone, along with his SkyCaddie in the bag, so there was nothing else to do but to go in after it.
He stripped off his trousers and went in, almost up to his shoulders. I carried on looking further down the path to see if I could get any clue to where his bag had gone, and I found it submerged about 20 yards further down from where he was looking.
I managed to pull it up with my wedge, the wheels were still spinning merrily on his powakaddy.
Manged to get the bag and trolley out, luckily he hadn't lost any clubs, and his mobile phone and skycaddie were still working!
He continued playing the hole in barefeet (I had suggested he put his shoes back on when he went in the water just in case there was any broken glass etc. on the bottom) and managed a 5 for 2! He then played the last two holes out but had to go back into the clubhouse and buy a new pair of shoes.
So he now has the nickname Marine Boy....:D:D

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So where's the photo then?

I can picture the scene :D

CGks0-kW8AAjl9-.jpg

Badger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
having been a member there for 6 years up until last month he probably trod on about 50 of my balls !

once saw a member climbing out of the same lake in his boxers carrying his Stewart trolley with him

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
i always wondered how deep that water is ,now i know ..
how did you get on in the event Rob?

"mid table" I think mate.
83 points won it, 80 came second, 79 third. We came in with 75 points. None of us made a "decent" putt all day and there were a couple of holes in particular where we all cocked up, which obviously is not very useful in a team event!
But still a very good day and the course was in superb condition. Best I have seen it.

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
I didn't have my phone with me so we missed out.
Never take my phone onto the course, but I might start doing so from here on in.
You never know what you might see :D

OK - In Rob's defence both he and Guy were so concerned about me at the time, about my clubs, keys, Phone etc I'm not sure even if he had had a camera he would have taken a photo.

All the laughs came afterwards - when it had all settled down. it was a great day, we had fun and certainly will be one I remember for a long time.

Dave
Herons (Marine boy) Ghyll