Smart homes who’s done it?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Resurrecting this thread as I'm thinking of getting a Hive / Nest / A.N. Other device for controlling the heating. Anyone got one of these fitted?
Thoughts on them from those who have them, things to look out for, avoid etc? With black Friday imminent I'm hoping I may even be able to save a few quid getting one.

I'm not looking to sync the whole house, just control the heating, so I don't need something overly sophisticated.

Hive and nest both pretty good

Nest you more leave alone I'm told and let it learn

Hive I'm always mucking about thinking ok this week I'm earlies so heating on earlier than normal

That sort of thing

I do like how it can talk to Alexa, Alexa ask hive to boost the heating .. that will set it to 22 degree for 1 hour

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have an Alexa so that could link in nicely as well 👍

Yeah hive is defo worth it , Alexa gives it a nice little extra, set up your schedule on your phone and then just use Alexa so you don't have to boost via your phone. Nice and simple

I believe if you play around enough you can set Alexa to react to the weather forecast so if it's cold it will put the heating on lol haven't bothered with that level yet

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah hive is defo worth it , Alexa gives it a nice little extra, set up your schedule on your phone and then just use Alexa so you don't have to boost via your phone. Nice and simple

I believe if you play around enough you can set Alexa to react to the weather forecast so if it's cold it will put the heating on lol haven't bothered with that level yet
I have enough of a fight with Alexa to play the correct playlist from my linked phone 😡, I frequently fail and we fall out for a while. I'll be happy with the basics and the ability to boost on order.

I need to go on an alexa training course. I'm sure there is so much I could do with it but don't know how to get there.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another vote for Hive heating. Really easy to programme and control. Less convinced about lighting - keeping finding the family have turned off switch at the wall

I've put electrical tape over most of mine to stop people touching lol

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just bought one, Amazon have knocked them down to £109 which is a great price. One question, they sell a stand for the thermostat rather than putting it on the wall. Any reason why you would not put it on the wall, as with past thermostats? Is it just a gimmick?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just bought one, Amazon have knocked them down to £109 which is a great price. One question, they sell a stand for the thermostat rather than putting it on the wall. Any reason why you would not put it on the wall, as with past thermostats? Is it just a gimmick?
Gives you the flexibility to move the thermostat around, if you wish. Seeing as you can control via phone, iPad, etc. there isn't a need to move the thermo around. I have mine fixed on the wall - note, it's not plumbed in like the old thermo, so I could move it to another room if I wanted.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Costco doing a deal for Ring 10 piece Security pack for £330.. am tempted. Anyone uses Ring (otherthan just doorbell?)