Slowing Down Swing Speed

dads3a

Medal Winner
Visit site
I play with a couple of low handicappers every Saturday.

They keep saying I'd be more consistent if I could slow down my swing speed.

My backswing is that fast I'd I'd more or less swing myself of my feet at times. When I try and slow it down I just make a complete hash of it.

Is it just practising a slower smoother tempo or is there a few drills I could practise.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Count 1..2..3 on the way back (kind of like how a dancer would count, almost singing it) then the through swing 123 again but at proper speed. It puls out the unnecessary swing thoughts too.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's very difficult to change your natural speed of swing and when teaching, I never say slow down.

Try thinking "swing it smoother"
:)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
There's no problem in having a fast swing speed, it's staying in balance that is the key. Snatching it away too quick or being off balance through the shot can only lead to inconsistent striking and/or duffed shots.

Smooth, in balance... and rip it :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
you tend to find your golf swing mirrors the way you do things in life!

you do? :D
well, have a think! how fast do you walk? is it comparitive(in speed) to you golf swing? or that other thing....ahem...koff koff....err alright,were all quick at that then,lol!

So my swing should take about 4 hours and there should be a lot of screaming and fluids?

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
you tend to find your golf swing mirrors the way you do things in life!

you do? :D
well, have a think! how fast do you walk? is it comparitive(in speed) to you golf swing? or that other thing....ahem...koff koff....err alright,were all quick at that then,lol!

So my swing should take about 4 hours and there should be a lot of screaming and fluids?

Sounds like me changing the oil in my car.