Slightly miffed at myself

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let's face it a charity 4-ball costs the Club a bit of ink and some paper. there are enough tee times in a Club's calendar to ensure the freebie doesn't encroach on the members or denies them potential revenue from paid green fees. It should be an open goal in terms of marketing and good PR, shame this Club spooned over the bar from a yard out ;-)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure what more information we need?
Voucher was held, Fragger admitted mistake on date, Club refused extension...rules is rules the Club were within their rights, but would it really have caused an issue if this was extended for 5 days, the voucher is hardly legal tender- just an arbitrary date typed on a piece of paper.
Fragger's 4-ball would hardly make or break the financial success of the Club, but it's the underlying message that 'you are not welcome' that was disappointing in this instance when they had a chance to really make a difference to a visitor experience which, no doubt, Fragger would have appreciated.

There was no underlying message that anyone wasn't welcome, you've just made that up.

The club gave a voucher with a set expiry date. That date has passed. The club are perfectly within their rights to say sorry no extension.It's their choice. Fragger admitting an error on his behalf changes nothing.

Sometimes you need to accept that the club may be right. Looks like Fragger has accepted it. Move on.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Uh, where are folks getting all the info about whether posters have paid anything for their voucher and also whether the course even charged anything for the voucher in the first place
Neither Tashy nor Phil have said how they came by the voucher or if the club charged for it

Also to clarify I didn't say the club threw money away, I said they threw money at the problem to make the problem go away and I'm suggesting this is not necessarily a demonstration of good customer service
(the problem: a hairy faced bloke standing in the pro-shop with a tale of woe about a misplaced voucher, solution; just give away a 4 ball green fee)

Once this becomes the 'norm' for dealing with this problem what do you think will happen to the cost of a 4-ball green fee?

The voucher I lost, I had paid £60 for it. I had never heard of the course, but a PP had and he said it's a bargain. It transpires that the guy I bought it off paid £120 for it at a charity do. His club, subsequently closed down and he went to the course to try it out, thinking he may well join there. The clubshop said he could have a free round. He did, loved it and joined. Leaving me with a voucher he would never use. 😊👍.

Tashyboy

Visit site
DRW
100% disagree with naming/shaming the club

And yet I think the exact opposite. The problem is that some folk are born moaners. Fragger don't come across as a moaner 🤔😊Complaining for some is a hobby, a hobby they are proud of. People should be as quick to praise, as they are to moan. Would you sing the praises of a club, of course. So you should be able to complain if it didnt live up to expectations.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
DRW
100% disagree with naming/shaming the club

And yet I think the exact opposite. The problem is that some folk are born moaners. Fragger don't come across as a moaner 🤔😊Complaining for some is a hobby, a hobby they are proud of. People should be as quick to praise, as they are to moan. Would you sing the praises of a club, of course. So you should be able to complain if it didnt live up to expectations.

But how do clubs tell the difference between the genuine cases (the likes of you and Fragger) and the dodgy chancers who are telling porkies (or not being completely honest) in order to get a free round?

Are clubs now forced to concede 100% of the time because they cant tell who the wrong un's are and if they don't they risk getting slagged off on a forum or tripadvisor etc

With today's communication word will spread stating clearly how to get a discount here or a freebie there (the internet has plenty of this already) and instances of fake tales will increase and more free rounds will be had, a club will find they can never ever decline any request for free stuff that sounds plausible, membership numbers will drop because folk realise others are playing their way round the country using free or heavily discounted games

Which brings me back to my point, good customer service has little to do with throwing money at a problem by giving free rounds or extending redemption dates, good service is about identifying that something broke & improving the original processes so that it reduces/eliminates the problems from arising in the first place

In short build a process that acknowledges the world is full of Fraggers & Tashys and works with them, while still protecting the business from the rogues and scoundrels

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Some good points on all sides.

There appears to be two salient points to the issue. 1) There's a voucher that would have been 5 days out of date when it was proposed to be used. 2) The club sticking to the time limit on the voucher.

The club is right but it does appear a little harsh. How about something along the lines of; "we both know the voucher is out of date. However, as a sign of goodwill, how about a compromise? We have to abide by the date on the voucher but we will offer you a 4 ball at half price."

It 'protects' the validity of the voucher but offers some goodwill around that. Personally, I'd see that as a win-win.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Some good points on all sides.

There appears to be two salient points to the issue. 1) There's a voucher that would have been 5 days out of date when it was proposed to be used. 2) The club sticking to the time limit on the voucher.

The club is right but it does appear a little harsh. How about something along the lines of; "we both know the voucher is out of date. However, as a sign of goodwill, how about a compromise? We have to abide by the date on the voucher but we will offer you a 4 ball at half price."

It 'protects' the validity of the voucher but offers some goodwill around that. Personally, I'd see that as a win-win.

I wouldn’t have been unhappy at that suggestion.

The reason I named the club was simply when other forumites have posted regarding “difficulties” at a certain club, there is always a call to name the club, failure to do so leads to speculation, which is in itself unhealthy.

It was the abruptness of the decision and the lack of flexibility, that left me with the feeling that My custom wasn’t wanted,

Tashyboy

Visit site
But how do clubs tell the difference between the genuine cases (the likes of you and Fragger) and the dodgy chancers who are telling porkies (or not being completely honest) in order to get a free round?

Are clubs now forced to concede 100% of the time because they cant tell who the wrong un's are and if they don't they risk getting slagged off on a forum or tripadvisor etc

With today's communication word will spread stating clearly how to get a discount here or a freebie there (the internet has plenty of this already) and instances of fake tales will increase and more free rounds will be had, a club will find they can never ever decline any request for free stuff that sounds plausible, membership numbers will drop because folk realise others are playing their way round the country using free or heavily discounted games

Which brings me back to my point, good customer service has little to do with throwing money at a problem by giving free rounds or extending redemption dates, good service is about identifying that something broke & improving the original processes so that it reduces/eliminates the problems from arising in the first place

In short build a process that acknowledges the world is full of Fraggers & Tashys and works with them, while still protecting the business from the rogues and scoundrels
Are you trying to say we need protecting from.the "Imurgs" of this world 🤔😉🤣

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldn’t have been unhappy at that suggestion.

The reason I named the club was simply when other forumites have posted regarding “difficulties” at a certain club, there is always a call to name the club, failure to do so leads to speculation, which is in itself unhealthy.

It was the abruptness of the decision and the lack of flexibility, that left me with the feeling that My custom wasn’t wanted,

I don't see any issue with naming the club, it's only like the majority of people on here saying they had an issue with a certain brand of balls/club/item of clothing and I don't think you were slagging the club off so I don't see a problem.

I was in the same place with a voucher last year and fortunately the club were fine with us using it a couple weeks after expiry. Like you we made a point of using the bar after plus bought some balls/snacks before hand too.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't see any issue with naming the club, it's only like the majority of people on here saying they had an issue with a certain brand of balls/club/item of clothing and I don't think you were slagging the club off so I don't see a problem.

I was in the same place with a voucher last year and fortunately the club were fine with us using it a couple weeks after expiry. Like you we made a point of using the bar after plus bought some balls/snacks before hand too.
The problem for me is Harleyford have done nothing wrong when you drill down to the specifics of it - so it’s unfair for a club to be criticised when they really haven’t done anything wrong “by the book”

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem for me is Harleyford have done nothing wrong when you drill down to the specifics of it - so it’s unfair for a club to be criticised when they really haven’t done anything wrong “by the book”

True but I think the adults amongst us understand that. Even Fragger does. I don't think a ball means to split, a clubhead fall off, a bag to split but it happens

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
True but I think the adults amongst us understand that. Even Fragger does. I don't think a ball means to split, a clubhead fall off, a bag to split but it happens
Exactly. By the book the club are absolutely correct in their stance but as others have demonstrated, in terms of a business and publicity opportunity it is narrow minded. I have no doubt Fragger and pals would have spent in the pro shop, spent behind the bar and come on with a positive customer experience and told friends and family which could have led to others wanting to play there. It's hardly peak season now

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site

This is where I sit with it really, I've bought quite a few 4 balls and unfortunately through no fault but my own I have let these expire. To be honest it didn't even cross my mind to contact the club to see if they would still honour the voucher I just bought it down as an expensive lesson learnt, although I clearly haven't learnt as it has happened half a dozen or so times to me :oops:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Exactly. By the book the club are absolutely correct in their stance but as others have demonstrated, in terms of a business and publicity opportunity it is narrow minded. I have no doubt Fragger and pals would have spent in the pro shop, spent behind the bar and come on with a positive customer experience and told friends and family which could have led to others wanting to play there. It's hardly peak season now

Its nice that you have 'no doubt' on the outcome and you clearly have the option to call them out as narrow minded

When you've had the misfortune to hear some of the 'bantz' that the scamps & scallywags come out with to wiggle themselves free stuff in various walks of life you might not be so tough on a business who may just be attempting to protect themselves a smidge

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You asked the question. The club answered and stuck by their guns. No story.

Negative PR for the club is poor form.

You are 100% correct, bad show from the guy who if I remember correct refused to pay on a deal he done with a gardener.

What goes around comes around :)🥳

Tashyboy

Visit site
You are 100% correct, bad show from the guy who if I remember correct refused to pay on a deal he done with a gardener.

What goes around comes around :)🥳

For the weakest of comparisons, al bet you have waited a long time to put that gardening story up.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
This is where I sit with it really, I've bought quite a few 4 balls and unfortunately through no fault but my own I have let these expire. To be honest it didn't even cross my mind to contact the club to see if they would still honour the voucher I just bought it down as an expensive lesson learnt, although I clearly haven't learnt as it has happened half a dozen or so times to me :oops:

Just to correct the timeline, thinking that the voucher expired at the end of October, I booked Sunday 5th October.
This was a couple of weeks ago.

A few days later I dug the voucher out and noticed the expiry date of 1 October, it was at that point I phoned the club.

I did not make the booking knowing that the voucher was out of date. Just in case some people think I was trying to pull a fast one.