SLDR S and an injured shoulder

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Currently have an SLDR S Driver on loan from AG to test for a week. They have my Titleist 913 D3 and are willing to give me my money back for it if I like the SLDR S. Not bad deal. Yeah I won't be going for that trade lol.

Played 9 holes with the SLDR the other night and it was 50/50 good and odd for me. Still unconvinced I took it up the range last night. Did my usual routine of warm up, with 50-70 balls and wedges. Moved into the 5 wood and everything was going well. Took out the driver and started hitting shots. I use Target Tape impact tape from ebay at the range on the driver too.

Wait what?

The 5 wood was going further than the driver. I tried it again. 5 wood then driver. Yip, time after time the 5 wood (SLDR S) was going further. I thought, ok, I'm obviously not doing something right here. I started whiping the driver more to get a bit more speed, ahhh finally!! the ball starts pinging out the face but marginally going further on the grass. I wasn't really happy with the 'marginal' increase with more effort. I thought ok, what if I give it the beans? A few practice over swings later and I caught a few utterly beezered out the centre and I was like :O omg.

I thought, great, I have found the secret. Just give it the beans and it'll go further. No big deal. That's until I woke up this morning and couldn't move my right shoulder.

I started to wonder what you need to do to get any distance out of this driver? If I just swung the club easy with what I'd call just an ernie els swing, it just flighted up and fell out the sky not beyond the point where I hit a 5 iron. I was really really stunned by it.

Granted I'll be going back today to get my 913 back for sure. All this low spin tech is obviously not for me. I'm now injured with a lesson on Tuesday night that I might have to cancel.

Absolutely crazy. Seriously thinking about just walking in to get fitted for a 915, be done with it and never talk about drivers ever again.

SLDR S 5 wood - 65 gram stiff Fujikura
SLDR S driver - 57 gram Stiff Fujikura
913 D3 Driver - 70 gram stiff phenom

Above info there, because according to Taylormade someone with a swing speed of between 80-90mph should be using stiff shafts in irons and regular shafts in their drivers. This is why I think I should just go get fitted for one and be done with it.

Gutted.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say 80 -90 mph is where I sit with a driver, and I'd be reg all day long in irons and driver. BTW the SLDR S 5 wood is a beast, tempted to get the matching 3 wood

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd say 80 -90 mph is where I sit with a driver, and I'd be reg all day long in irons and driver. BTW the SLDR S 5 wood is a beast, tempted to get the matching 3 wood

I get on alright with my irons, but I do swing a wee tad slower with them because I feel it's more accurate. With the driver I feel it needs a punt or it's going no where. I should maybe try and get a reg shaft for my titleist. See how it goes.

Yes the 5 wood is an absolute gem of a club. If this continues, I think i'll just keep using this and ditch the driver.