Sky Sports Subscription for Golf Club

DCB

Visit site
If Sky find out about it, I'm sure they would cancel the deal of the guy who was casting it at the very minimum.

Several Pubs in town here have been taken to court in the last 18 months for showing live football on Sky without the necessary commercial contract in place. Hefty fines for the Pubs involved. Not worth the risk.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure if illegal is the correct word, surely it's just against Sky's own policy? i.e. if they find out you're using a personal Sky account in a public venue they'll simply cancel your deal? Since for pubs and whatnot they charge a heavily inflated price.

Of course, I don't know how they would find out if a quiet out-the-way clubhouse was doing it.

Probably correct

I believe we looked into our work place. Not deemed public because we aren’t open to the public , our tv licence is a normal one

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are no "best options" for commercial accounts. Prices per month for the various packages are based on a fixed value, the rateable value of the property. So it could be £100 per month it could be £1000.
Sky will give you a rate based on that fixed point.

Commercial and residential broadcasting agreements are very different. If you use a residential agreement in a commercial setting you are liable to fines (again set based on the rateable value) but still penal.

When I worked in Commercial at Sky a band A property fine was £10k plus the difference of the residential to commercial contract value for the duration the contract had been in force. This went up on a sliding scale. (This was in 2002 though so may have changed).

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
When I worked in Commercial at Sky a band A property fine was £10k plus the difference of the residential to commercial contract value for the duration the contract had been in force. This went up on a sliding scale. (This was in 2002 though so may have changed).
How are these fines enforced? Can it be done through the courts as a breach of contract?
Since there is no contract with NowTV, I can't see what Sky could do about it.
(IANAL, so just wondering out loud)

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is a contract with Now TV you agree to the terms and conditions before you can use it when you create your account. Now TV is a Sky company and you can be sure their lawyers will have every fine detail covered in the terms. Sky used to have a pint glass in the corner of the screen to show that the pub/club had a genuine business subscription and it wasn't a normal private subscription, not sure if they still have that.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
How are these fines enforced? Can it be done through the courts as a breach of contract?
Since there is no contract with NowTV, I can't see what Sky could do about it.
(IANAL, so just wondering out loud)

Yes these are court enforced through pursuit. Its less to do with contractual breach and more to do with broadcasting licence rights (acts of copyright etc) being breached.

Now TV is still licenced under a set of terms and conditions which are agreed prior to commencement of unencryption. You accept the delivery of the service by NowTV (Sky Subscriber Services Limited) by agreeing to the terms of use.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ah right. Obviously I have been misled by the phrase "No Contract" on NowTV's home page.

The "no contract" referred to in Now TV just means there is no long term monthly payment contract required unlike Sky where you have to sign up for a minimum 12 months or more.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just as an FYI, you cannot 'cast' sky go to a big screen. The internal settings prohibit it. You either have to watch on your phone or tablet or get a subscription for the tv/big screen.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just as an FYI, you cannot 'cast' sky go to a big screen. The internal settings prohibit it. You either have to watch on your phone or tablet or get a subscription for the tv/big screen.
As mentioned in a different topic recently, you can connect your laptop to your TV via an HDMI cable, and watch Sky Go on your TV screen that way.

D

Deleted member 25172

Probably correct

I believe we looked into our work place. Not deemed public because we aren’t open to the public , our tv licence is a normal one

I'm working at one of the big gambling companies, so with that we have big screens showing Sky Sports all day long in the office. We seem to pay for it though as that little "pint glass" or whatever it is, is showing on the screens. I guess that sign is the sign that you've paid for the commercial Sky contract?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As mentioned in a different topic recently, you can connect your laptop to your TV via an HDMI cable, and watch Sky Go on your TV screen that way.
It's not the way forward for a club though. They have to do things correctly and there is a difference between doing this in a mates house and doing it in a club bar.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have two Chromecast attachments in the back of 2 40in TV screens and cast now TV to both from phone or ipad? Mr bro in law has same set up, neither of us subscribe just buy a day/week pass as required how can we do this then? 🤔
That's Now TV. He was talking about Sky Go, which is an extension of having the full on Sky package.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm working at one of the big gambling companies, so with that we have big screens showing Sky Sports all day long in the office. We seem to pay for it though as that little "pint glass" or whatever it is, is showing on the screens. I guess that sign is the sign that you've paid for the commercial Sky contract?

I believe that’s what the pint glass is