Sky Sports Subscription for Golf Club

Semtex

Visit site
Can anyone offer any advice on how to get the best deal for showing sky sports in a Golf Club?

Like most clubs these days, we are just about making ends meet and the thought of paying upwards of £400 a month for Sky is a bit galling. That said, I see it as an investment and a benefit to members so wouldn't want to devalue it.

thanks in advance

Semtex

Visit site
Call Sky and ask them. That's the best solution. They will tell you the options.

Thanks, I've done that. Call me cynical though, I'm not sure they would necessarily tell me the best options.

I just wondered what other clubs did. There seems to be a bit of room for interpretation around the categorisation of golf clubs, rateable values etc.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Dont know what we were paying..but there was a point at which we told them to shove it and cancelled subscription. Its now back, I assume a deal was done.

Personally, I was getting charged £90 per month, I rang up to cancel and it got halved for 18 months!

so, you know what to do....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got sympathy here for the OP. Sky have so many tricks up their sleeve that simply ringing and ask what price doesn't mean you get the best price. It annoys the heck out of me that you have to do a dance with them but unfortunately that is how they work. No easy answer is unfortunately the answer.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
My club is a private member's club. We had Sky Sports and the price was about 5 grand a year - take it or leave it. It didn't get watched that much and we never took enough extra at the bar to cover the cost, so it's gone.

We'll probably just buy a NowTV pass for the week to show each major and leave it at that.

D

Deleted member 15344

Dont know what we were paying..but there was a point at which we told them to shove it and cancelled subscription. Its now back, I assume a deal was done.

Personally, I was getting charged £90 per month, I rang up to cancel and it got halved for 18 months!

so, you know what to do....

It’s a world of difference for an establishment like a bar or sports club because that’s a big area they make a lot of money so they are very restricted with their prices - it’s also one area that do get punished if they use a “domestic card”

Ours is paid by the money people have on their card but don’t spend

Semtex

Visit site
My club is a private member's club. We had Sky Sports and the price was about 5 grand a year - take it or leave it. It didn't get watched that much and we never took enough extra at the bar to cover the cost, so it's gone.

We'll probably just buy a NowTV pass for the week to show each major and leave it at that.

Is that not a breach of Sky Ts & Cs ?

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is that not a breach of Sky Ts & Cs ?

Yes, Now TV is purely for personal non commercial use, or every pub or club would have that instead of the huge fee Sky charges for businesses. Quite a few pubs in our town have done away with Sky due to cost. To get a good deal personally you have to cancel then they will offer you deals to remain a customer usually around 50% although I don't know if the business model works in the same way. Apparently it's not so easy to get big Sky discounts now they've been taken over by Comcast.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The issue is Sky have business use customers over a barrel and know it so tend to play difficult regarding deals. My advice to the OP is to keep hammering away at them and asking to speak to people further up the chain. has he actually worked out how beneficial to the club having it will be in terms of additional bar spend vs annual cost of subscription. If its just going to be on in the bar playing to empty chairs then no matter what deal you get its not going to pay for itself

D

Deleted member 16999

Can anyone offer any advice on how to get the best deal for showing sky sports in a Golf Club?

Like most clubs these days, we are just about making ends meet and the thought of paying upwards of £400 a month for Sky is a bit galling. That said, I see it as an investment and a benefit to members so wouldn't want to devalue it.

thanks in advance
We are trying to find a similar deal, however, the local Cricket Club sorted it by getting a local Law Firm to sponsor (pay for it) for an initial 2 years.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

Think that's a bit illegal!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Question - Is the Now TV option a public broadcast licence?

Obviously this is the problem with Sky, that they charge significantly extra to places open to the public.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My club, a private members club have just stopped Sky as the £7k fee is just too much for a club losing money

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Question - Is the Now TV option a public broadcast licence?
Fair point. I guess the club will check the legality before getting NowTV. It was just a thought that's been put forward. One thing's for sure: the club will NOT be paying a Sky subscription any more. Sky loses out by being so inflexible towards clubs, treating them like big commercial outfits.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
So....just thinking out loud.......I have a few google chrome cast thingys hanging out the back of our Various TVs ,a good deal imo at 30£ a pop.With these I run pretty much every thing through google home app( Netflix,YouTube,Spotify etc etc etc and importantly nowtv!) and “cast” whatever to whichever TV depending on who wants to watch what.im sure I’m not alone here,anyhoo you can cast to a certain number of devices no problemo so what if you stuck a chrome cast into club tv,nominate that device and cast from your phone onto said tv and hey presto! Happy campers alround. I’m going for the gray areas here from a legal standpoint but I suppose if the “caster” was “sponsoring “ the broadcast for his fellow members....?

Semtex

Visit site
I would have no problem using a Now TV stick, as the chances of getting caught are pretty slim. However, we want to promote Sky Sports as a reason to come to use the facilities which would massively raise the probability of being found out.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it illegal because of being shown at a place that’s making money out of it? We do it at work but we aren’t making money we just haven’t got a sky dish so use our sky go for the footy
I'm not sure if illegal is the correct word, surely it's just against Sky's own policy? i.e. if they find out you're using a personal Sky account in a public venue they'll simply cancel your deal? Since for pubs and whatnot they charge a heavily inflated price.

Of course, I don't know how they would find out if a quiet out-the-way clubhouse was doing it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So....just thinking out loud.......I have a few google chrome cast thingys hanging out the back of our Various TVs ,a good deal imo at 30£ a pop.With these I run pretty much every thing through google home app( Netflix,YouTube,Spotify etc etc etc and importantly nowtv!) and “cast” whatever to whichever TV depending on who wants to watch what.im sure I’m not alone here,anyhoo you can cast to a certain number of devices no problemo so what if you stuck a chrome cast into club tv,nominate that device and cast from your phone onto said tv and hey presto! Happy campers alround. I’m going for the gray areas here from a legal standpoint but I suppose if the “caster” was “sponsoring “ the broadcast for his fellow members....?
If Sky find out about it, I'm sure they would cancel the deal of the guy who was casting it at the very minimum.