Sky Q Coming to a Home near me

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sky Q getting installed next week. Do I lose all programs I have recorded on my Sky HD+ box - or will the engineers be able to transfer them to the new box?

D

Deleted member 16999

Sky Q getting installed next week. Do I lose all programs I have recorded on my Sky HD+ box - or will the engineers be able to transfer them to the new box?
Yes you lose them, no he won’t.

I believe you need to transfer them yourself via external drive.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I lost quite a bit when my old one packed up. But then again I kind of figured if it was tat important I would have watched it anyway. And as others have said, you can download a lot of stuff on Sky Q if you are half way through a series and want to download the first few episodes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Drats - I recorded a whole series of Studio Ghibli movies/animes when they were shown throughout August of last year on Film4. Just love the stories; the cleverness; the quality of the animation; and often beautiful music.

One of my favourites - Castle in the Sky. Must watch before it goes.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Drats - I recorded a whole series of Studio Ghibli movies/animes when they were shown throughout August of last year on Film4. Just love the stories; the cleverness; the quality of the animation; and often beautiful music.

Laputa is good, but Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are my fav's, with Tottoro and Nausica a close second.

The recordings are not transferred from you old box to new one, but they don't take your old box away, you should still be able to connect it to your TV and watch the recordings on it, unless the sky software expires them somehow.

D

Deleted member 16999

I ask the Sky bloke when we had Sky Q fitted and he said it is possible to transfer the stuff, but not straight box to box.
Hopefully a techie can advise how it can be done.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It probably wont function without a valid subscriber SKYcard inserted. You could take the card out and try.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I can keep my Sky+ HD box (why can't I?) will I be able to plug that into a TV so I can watch what I have recorded?

You probably will not. The access to the hard drive and features like live pause are not available without a subscription.

The Sky HD box is your property after the first year of subscription which is why you keep it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You probably will not. The access to the hard drive and features like live pause are not available without a subscription.

The Sky HD box is your property after the first year of subscription which is why you keep it.

And so as my wife has just asked...what are you going to do with that - to which i replied that I have no idea...

So any suggestions?

D

Deleted member 16999

And so as my wife has just asked...what are you going to do with that - to which i replied that I have no idea...

So any suggestions?
Offer it as a spare to someone or youth club or old peoples home etc who still use theirs.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Offer it as a spare to someone or youth club or old peoples home etc who still use theirs.

So if their's goes kaput they don't have to buy another but can simply plug my old one in with their card? Good idea - just have to find such a group/home...

Can't see any use I can make of it.

@ScienceBoy - at outset had similar concerns - but our dish is on side of house and I so not notice it that I had forgotten it was there.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

So any suggestions?
I do not have sky Q so do not know about use in other rooms.

I keep my old box in the bedroom with a freeview card in it.

One of my biggest gripes with sky has always been multi room at an extra charge and every sky box I have had has lost the TV out with voltage to change channels in another room.