Sky commentators

evemccc

Visit site
I thought the seeming consensus from a thread the other week was that Sky coverage in sport has brought an unprecedented level of quality in its broadcast vs the 90s? I don’t have Sky but I was sceptical about that… — certainly I’d have the 90s Beeb of Aliss and Hay EVERY day of the week over what I’ve read about McGinley and Sky’s Rory’n’Tiger hype-machine

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another reason why I prefer watching CBS. I don’t find the American commentators remotely as annoying.

Edit: fewer adverts too.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Another reason why I prefer watching CBS. I don’t find the American commentators remotely as annoying.

Edit: fewer adverts too.
If that is true I pity those watching the Masters on sky.
Each time CBS stops showing golf (either fir ads or Nantz nonsense) then have been off to featured groups.
Have seen a fair bit of featured groups!

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Murray - soporific
McGinley - thick as :poop: , continually self-contradictory, speaks with the authority only the totally unaware can manage
Radar 🌟
Stirkers 🌟🌟
Dougherty - he's not too bad at all
Coltart - what McGinley thinks he sounds like, top bloke
Laura Davies - just nope, for someone so good, she doesn't really add anything
Beemer - not as good as Radar, but great number 2
Henni Koyack - someone switch her off please, awful, just awful
Agree with this although I like Murray. Agree with you on Henni. I have no idea how she got the job in the first place but even more confusing, is how she still has the job. She comes across as someone who doesn't really know what they're talking about.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I tried to watch the 2019 Masters in the US and there were so many adverts it became unwatchable.
I watched on the US masters website last night, which I think was showing the cbs coverage (obviously, I'm not 100% sure of this, as my tv Arial doesn't point that way).
There were very few ads. I was pleasantly surprised.
As for the commentary, mostly ok. I'm not a fan of Nantz, but he doesn't generally talk too much. Nobillo and Immelman are fine.
I find the general tone of forelock tugging quite obnoxious, but that extends to sky and most written media as well, so no avoiding it really.

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
I thought the Sky team were acceptable, at least the ones actually out on site. Generally though they have a number of young girls, Henni, the Scottish girl, Turkish one, why aren't they out there playing & competing on tour? Get into media when you've actually achieved something. They drive me mad. I'll excuse Sarah as she's always been the presenter & a good one.

D-S

Visit site
I thought the Sky team were acceptable, at least the ones actually out on site. Generally though they have a number of young girls, Henni, the Scottish girl, Turkish one, why aren't they out there playing & competing on tour? Get into media when you've actually achieved something. They drive me mad. I'll excuse Sarah as she's always been the presenter & a good one.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
You may have your own opinion, but I would support the view that Sarah is very good. Golf knowledgeable, asks the right questions, good judgement on whether the interviewee's emotional state after a good round and not to press to hard when they are struggling after a bad day, etc.

Jonnoj

Visit site
Sarah Stirk is the best of the lot, every piece she did this week was excellent, they don’t use her enough.
I don’t get the love for Radar, I find him incredibly annoying, his comment this week that anyone not actually there couldn’t appreciate how great it is really got my goat, we can’t all afford the flights and entry prices and his job is to bring it to life for us!
Laura Davies was very good when she started, lots of chat about how a pro golfer approaches each shot/situation but now she’s become less interesting with less of that perspective.
Not a fan of Mcginley as for the others I quite like Coltart and Dougherty, the rest are a bit average though Faldo was good this week but I think he’s just an occasional guest now.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe they are not good enough players to make a consistent living out of playing the game?

Springveldt

Visit site
I thought Faldo was great, easily the best presenter. Also like Radar, Beam and Dougherty (although his Rory love in gets old quickly).

When is McGinley's contract up? They need to get shot of him as soon as. He just keeps repeating inaccurate crap.

The best part of the whole broadcast is the Rolex Hour. At least we get to see some golf then.

sunshine

Visit site
On the 6th on Sunday the pin is always on the top shelf, Koepka went over the back and Rahm came up short and his ball spun down to the bottom.

The commentator asked Faldo which is harder, he said Rahm’s because of the significant elevation change made it harder to judge the distance. Koepka was above the hole but Faldo said he would have a good view of the hole and plenty of green to work with.

Cut to McGinley who straight away said Koepka had a much tougher shot than Rahm. It’s interesting how their views were completely opposite. Shows that perception of difficulty is very subjective. Although one of them knows Augusta a lot better than the other.

Incidentally, Rahm got up and down but Koepka didn’t. However if they had swapped places I’m sure we would have seen the same outcome.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the 6th on Sunday the pin is always on the top shelf, Koepka went over the back and Rahm came up short and his ball spun down to the bottom.

The commentator asked Faldo which is harder, he said Rahm’s because of the significant elevation change made it harder to judge the distance. Koepka was above the hole but Faldo said he would have a good view of the hole and plenty of green to work with.

Cut to McGinley who straight away said Koepka had a much tougher shot than Rahm. It’s interesting how their views were completely opposite. Shows that perception of difficulty is very subjective. Although one of them knows Augusta a lot better than the other.

Incidentally, Rahm got up and down but Koepka didn’t. However if they had swapped places I’m sure we would have seen the same outcome.
I remember that, I marvelled at how Faldo knows the course like the back of his hand. Whereas McGinley doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

I thought Faldo was great, easily the best presenter. Also like Radar, Beam and Dougherty (although his Rory love in gets old quickly).

When is McGinley's contract up? They need to get shot of him as soon as. He just keeps repeating inaccurate crap.
Exactly my thoughts! I really like Faldo, Beam and Dougherty, and Radar is decent but can get annoying if he's on too much.