Skied Hook with Driver - Please Help!!!

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I went into yesterdays May Medal quite confident as had a short game lesson on Saturday morning and really though I was going to have a good score. How wrong I was.

I could not hit my driver for toffee. Almost every time I skied it but not off the crown. The other probelm was they all hooked too. The hooking is a problem I have had for a few weeks since a swing change with my pro, but not had an attack of the skies like that before. I think I may be coming in too steep, but just could not get anything to work. Even worse was it then moved onto my 3 wood off the tee too.

Does anyone know what may cause this and any fixes? I'm trying to book a lesson with my pro, but we can't match up times for a couple of weeks and really want a quick fix until then.

Thanks in advance for your help.

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bob,

Sometimes it started left and hooked and others it started left and stayed straight. The going left I can deal with to a certain extent, it's the skying that's bothering me most. I actually hit a drive about 50 yards but probably went over 100+ yards high.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds like a combination of out to in swing and a closed club face to me with the ocassional club face square.
If as you say you are steep into the ball, that wont help.
Have you strengthened your grip at all recently?

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I strengthened it some time ago as I used to suffer from a major slice, but since swing changes this has turned into a hook/snap hook. I think I may be releasing my hands just slightly too early, but even when I try and weaken my grip I still seem to be doing it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Your major slice came from your swing path (out to in)
Changing your grip (stronger) wont fix that.
If your grip is stronger than neutral and your path is out to in well, it's a no brainer I'm afraid
You need to leave the good grip alone and fix the out to in swing path

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bob, thanks, that's what I am working on with my pro, it seems to work with the irons as I now hit a nice draw with them, but it just doesn't happen with the driver.

Will get to the range this week and really work on getting the in to out swing going.

Thanks for your help.