Six years and counting...

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Well tomorrow marks the sixth anniversary of my first post on the forum. I'd been playing the game for just 12 days and this place became a fantastic companion on my journey. I really don't know where the time has gone but the last six years have been pretty full on both on and off the golf course.

I have many fond memories created by this wonderful virtual community
- what biscuit is best for a golfing snack
- the importance of getting custom fit for tees
- that the answer to any golfing issue is have a lesson
- and that you are not entitled to relief from a hut, path and ball washer when they all simultaneously conspire to prevent you taking a shot

It's taken a while to sort my game out and bouts of illness, treatment, job changes, house moves, refurbishments and an inability to drive (a car in this case) have all impacted on my ability to improve.

Through it all this place has been a wonderful constant and I've since seen my health improve, passed my driving test, watched my kids get that bit older to the point the eldest now plays a bit with me, settled at work and got a bit more time to practice. And on that journey you've made me laugh out loud and picked me up when I've felt a bit blue.

Over the six years the stand out moment for me was the very first opportunity. It was a time when we weren't as spoilt as we are now. Ping organised a day with the Tour truck and I think Danny Willett was the pro that played. Why I remember it was that I recall Mike mentioning that a number of people had emailed him to nominate Smiffy. Since I've been on here I've lost count of the number of meets that man has organised. He's not the only one Birchy, Liverbirdie, richart, rickg, Fish, Lincoln Quaker, Brendy and the list goes on. I can't get to as many meets as I'd like to but really appreciate the effort those guys go to to organise stuff for others.

And then there's colint and duncan_mackie and the other rules gurus who offer advice and guidance or the legendary bobmac and the_coach who offer advice on the playing side. Or the shaft guru that is Ethan or the mods who get loads of flak for doing a thankless task.

I don't post as prolifically as I used to but I still spend plenty of time on here reading stuff. Hopefully some day soon I'll be able to tell you I finally got it all together and posted a respectable gross score. But until then thanks for the laughs and cheers for the support :) :thup:

So with a bit of plagiarising of TMS my question to you all is - since you've joined the forum what has been your champagne moment?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Met a load of great people from here at various meets. Best moment has to be runner up in the GM Centenary Final having coming through the St Pierre qualifier. Two of my best and most consistent rounds. Most of the stuff on here is posted with good humour, and is a wonderful melting pot. Amazing how quickly time flies Tiger

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Excellent post Tiger. You have always been a voice of reason on here, and I almost feel bad that we didn't give you that free drop.:whistle:

Must admit my real enjoyment of the forum for me is attending meets. Not a great one for discussing golf too deeply, and still have no idea what shafts suit which golfers, and who makes the best waterproofs.

Met so many decent people on here who I will call friends, even if they call me something else.:eek: First forumer I met was Pokerjoke, but fortunately they got better after that.:D Just joking Tony, and your continued support for all the Blackmoor meets, and H4H days is greatly appreciated.:thup:

Winning the Cooden Centenary 4 BBB with Smiffy is right up there. You are right Tiger he is a top geezer (don't tell him I said that) if a bit of a fair weather golfer.:whistle:

Lots of other great Forum Meets, Woodhall Spa, Camberley, Chart Hills, Cooden, Cinque Ports, Royal St Georges and Liverpool (still trying to erase the sleeping arrangements from my mind :eek:) to name a few. So many games with forumers as guests at their clubs. You know who you all are, but a special thanks to D4S, Swinger and Slasher. You do realise that if you had been members of rubbish clubs, you wouldn't have had to put up with me all these years.:whistle:

Help 4 Heroes days have been a blast. :cheers: Rick.

Finally two of my favourite moments involve one of my best mates who has a bad time over the last few months. His chip in at the 18th at Blackmoor provoked the biggest cheer, since Erica Roe streaked at Twickenham. It was a champagne moment, kindly provided by the club Captain.

His opening tee shot at Blackmoor last Sunday, may have gone straight into the gorse watched by half the Club, but we were proud of you Paul.:thup:

Sorry Tiger, just too many great times to narrow down to one champagne moment.

D

Deleted member 15344

I joined the forum a good number of years ago but really only started posting about two years ago

Since then my golfing world has been nothing but highs

My very first meet was with the Mariners at Berkshire and since then every single meet has been brilliant

The H4H weekend was full of everything you want in golf , the trips to Kent and Dolly and Blundell :D

the KOK meets , the trip to Alwoodly

Have had a lot of games at Blackmoor and they have been a wonderful day full of great humour

Have managed to sneak a few wins as well :whoo:

The trip to Liverpool has images that are burned into my retina but it was a great weekend as was my recent open

Special thanks to both Rich and Rick who are two of the best guys you can meet - can see many more future games in years to come , Rick is a great host and i fully encourage everyone to take him up on his offers to Centurion and Rich despite the dodgy perm is a great guy to play golf with and is another perfect host

Have also had a few opens with Pokerjoke and we have a few more that im looking forward to

Other highlights are - FD doing so well in the Scottish Ladies and you could feel the forum fully behind her

And hearing off the recovery of Paul - great to see you back out there.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great thread OP.

Where to start? I joined 2 years before I actually could begin playing golf semi-regularly. Since then, the advice on the forum has been great.

I've been lucky enough to be invited to Britain's Best Putter at Hagg's Castle and the Ping Day at Gainsborough courtesy of GM, whilst playing off a 20+ handicap.

I contributed to the 1st KoK events at St Andrews New and Hillside which was difficult, but worth it.

However, none of the above compare to meeting strangers, who have since become friends.

I'm proud to know Williamalex1 who is as distasteful as he is gentlemanly. Justone echoes my life's ethos and is an asset to this crazy planet. ChrisD has to be one of the grooviest dudes on the planet. This is just to mention a few- nearly everyone I've met has been a joy to play/drink with. Oh- Amanda remains the only lady I've had the pleasure to play gowf with.

The world is changing- the social capital gained from online interactions is now regarded as being as valuable as more traditional networking methods and, only because of the undervalued nature of this forum's contributors' goodwill, have we all found a platform to combine both old and new means of building relationships....

....all because of grass, sticks, balls and flags.

It's a silly old game.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ping organised a day with the Tour truck and I think Danny Willett was the pro that played. Why I remember it was that I recall Mike mentioning that a number of people had emailed him to nominate Smiffy.

Well, that's a kick in the knackers..... for the past 4 years I had been under the impression Mike selected me due to my impressive match play prowess. Now it transpires that I was a "pity" pick...:mad::mad::mad:;)

Been on the forum now for the best part of 7 years. To be honest, it does seems longer!
During that time I have played on courses that I would never have visited had I not joined.
Bearwood Lakes, Blackmoor, Gainsborough, Forest Pines, Woodhall Spa, Beau Desert, Hayling Island, Remedy Oak, Whittington Heath, Spey Valley, Nairn, Boat of Garten, Castle Stuart, and more recently The Cuddington to name just a few.
Friendships have been made, too many to name individually, but Leftie, Richart, Paul Nash and James (JustOne) deserve special mention. True gentlemen.
Truth be told, there is nobody on here that I have met that I wouldn't be happy to share a golf buggy with.
A couple of times over the last seven years for various reasons I have thought about packing it in but this forum has help keep my interest alive.
At the end of the day I love the game, I love the history of the game and more importantly I love the honesty and integrity of the game.
As Richart mentions above, winning the Cooden Centenary 4BB with him was (is) one of my highlights, along with playing at Walton Heath and kicking Pings butt, and the resulting trip up to Gainsborough to get fitted for my i15 driver with James. A great trip in great company, and I thank Mike & Golf Monthly for that opportunity.
Long may it continue.

sandmagnet

Head Pro
Visit site
Not been on here to long but,after my 1st meet at Gainsborough and meeting all the guys and watching how different people play the game,I have joined my 1st club to improve and made some cracking mates for years to come I hope. About 20 years ago I lost my grandad, but now I seem to have adopted 2 new ones in smithy and Chrisd and a great grandad in leftie/Bruce!:D

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As you can see, I've been on here 7 and a half years (blimey, that long really?) and only done just over 2k posts (about a weeks worth for Homie) so you can tell I don't say a lot. Like real life really. I sit and listen mostly. And learn. On here, especially about the rules

Only done a couple of meets - really wish I had more time. Couple of years to go and I'll have plenty. Best bits - sharing in a small way everyones high and lows - both on the course and off. Some great performances, and some moving disasters and recoveries.

And getting a recent "good summary" comment from Duncan on the rules page really made my day.

Long live the forum.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me the people I have met on the forum are the best people I play golf with and I look forward to playing with these people more than anyone at my club.

I to have played courses I never thought I would ever play.

Joining in 2009 as a 12 handicap and meeting Rich and his friends in Somerset at Oak manor golf club was a great way to start going to meets organised by forum members and I can safely say every one has been a success and a pleasure to play in.

All my playing partners and fellow winners have been a pleasure to play with and I also count them as very good friends.

I wont go into names they just know who they are but a special mention to Rich and Rick and their team for the great job they do organising the HFH day which is my favourite meet of them all.

Going to see the HFH offices and Tidworth house where they continue to do fantastic work supporting injured soldiers and families was my highlight.

This year will be a special year for HFH as im bringing my dad along for the first time and I cant wait for him to see what a great organised and supported event this is.

Ive had a few highlights along the way and a few wins but just being at these events are what its all about.

I love the Burnham and Berrow meet I organise and would love to do a bigger one down this way but unfortunately we are a bit too far away for most but who knows what the future holds.

I waste to much of my life on the forum and some things get me hot under the collar but I know its all computer bravado because everyone ive met is so nice on the course.

I will always continue to support HFH and the forum meets as long as I can afford to.

Keep up the good work guys and girls.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Well said Tiger and im glad you feel so happy to write your post.
You have had your ups and downs in the past but hopefully all ups from here on in.

Cheers PJ - it's a great community and really glad to hear so many other people feel the same way. Really hoping to get to a meet next year it's been far too long...

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
the bits that stick in my mind were the much missed timgolfy, and the guy who spent 5 pages assuming fairwaydodger was a bloke and coming up with a huge variety of reasons as to why the forum was laughing at him...

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So with a bit of plagiarising of TMS my question to you all is - since you've joined the forum what has been your champagne moment?

Great read Tiger, nice post.

I too joined the forum as a quest to help dedicate myself to the game, a new hobby/passion/exercise regime before I'd even started playing properly and/or regularly and before I started to invest financially.

I guess the champagne moment for me was actually doing just that, joining the forum. For if I look back over the last two and a bit years I'm not so sure I'd have been able to fall in love with the game as much as I have done. And the reason for this, and as mentioned in posts several months ago, is due to the amazing welcome I got from the lads in the North-West, some on my doorstep and some a few miles away (not to mention the absolute tool from Lincolnshire :D).

Without 'hooking up' (no pun intended) with them I'm not to sure my golf journey would have been half as much fun as it has been and in such a short space of time, I've holidayed with them twice, had offers to stay at their gaffs, done weekends away, been driven around Scotland, been lent gear to test and been hosted at many a Club that I didn't even know previously existed. Chuck in the odd bit of recent drama/politics and its all made for an excellent ride! Joining the forum will perhaps be one the best things I ever did from a sports/social perspective.

Those lads and lasses know who they are and as more new forum members pop up, not only in the North-West, but from all over, I couldn't urge them enough to get out on a forum meet. I was extremely nervous, new to the golf world and believed that there was still this snobbery within in the game, but then I met em :D. Scrubbers - the lot of em ;).

To any forummer out there, new or old, if you haven't already, get out on a meet.

:cheers:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Well this is a funny old place. There are people on here that I wouldn't pee on if they were on fire and I'm sure they would(n't) do the same to me. But that's keyboard warriors for you, I'm sure that I would get along famously with the very same people and become friends with them if and when we get to meet at one of the organised get-togethers.

Highlights for me are undoubtably the meets. NEVER been to one that I haven't enjoyed hugely and made some friendships that I'm sure will last a lifetime.

Love the Hayling golf and curry mini-meets that I organise with Wookie, always turn out to be a great day/evening. Great that the regulars always make it along (richart, Slasher, therod, swinger, Smiffy, paperboy) and always enjoy meeting newbies as and when they can join in. Anyone who hasn't made it along, please try to attend one (even the knobs....I'm sure you won't be a knob afterwards :D )

Looking forward to catching up with Robobum again soon at a competition somewhere, sometime......it's been a while Darren!

Swing easy and keep your head down ;)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

No champagne moment, but the fact I'm still here on this forum is my 'moment'! What I mean by that is that this is the only forum I'm on and want to stay on. :). There's lots of 'good' on here and long may it continue. :thup:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
My Champagne Moment was 02/12/2011 ....................... that's when I found this forum.
A throw away comment by Nick Faldo about the Stack & Tilt swing got me searching until I found a thread started by Monty_Brown containing so much useful information from JustOne.
James ................ he's the one, it's all his fault!
Cheers James, always grateful :thup:.

Slime.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Like most on here I've greatly enjoyed meeting up with other forummers and playing courses I probably would never have gone to otherwise.

Champagne moment for me, when I really saw what a great community we have, was when I was doing well in the Scottish ladies and getting loads of encouragement from people on here. It really was amazing knowing that people were checking out the scores and wishing me well, even people I had never met, or only briefly! I loved checking out that thread every day after I'd played!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
My top moments have to be

(1) Shortly after joining the forum i asked were there any Irish meets , i was duly directed to arrange a game section and travelled up to Donegal for the meet which had just become a GM Centenary Final qualifier thanks to Brendys hard work & organisation , i had never met any of the guys before , but from the get go it was introduction, inclusion & welcome .. top lads !
I was lucky enough to win on the Sun & qualify for the final..

(2) Winning the GM Centenary Final in the FoA , played with Homer on the day and a lovely gentleman called Mike Chapman . we were treated so well by GM , got to meet Mike H for the 1st time & Jezz for the 2nd after meeting him at the Irish qualifier in Ballyliffin ..
Had a brilliant evening in the bar beforehand chatting with GB72 , Homer & his Mrs, & Kevin Murray the GM photographer , what a nice & entertaining man he is ..

(3) Being selected tor the Titleist AP2 fitting in Edinburgh , treated so well again by GM & Paul O Hagan .
Alan Mac & myself were royaly looked after by Graeme Noblett at the Titleist national fitting centre & duly got a nice write up in the Mag & the youtube channel

(4) Having the pleasure of meeting Phil & G1BBO (Steve) when they came over for the ICC , great blokes & top men for making the grueling trip

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Well this is a funny old place. There are people on here that I wouldn't pee on if they were on fire and I'm sure they would(n't) do the same to me. But that's keyboard warriors for you, I'm sure that I would get along famously with the very same people and become friends with them if and when we get to meet at one of the organised get-togethers.

Highlights for me are undoubtably the meets. NEVER been to one that I haven't enjoyed hugely and made some friendships that I'm sure will last a lifetime.

Love the Hayling golf and curry mini-meets that I organise with Wookie, always turn out to be a great day/evening. Great that the regulars always make it along (richart, Slasher, therod, swinger, Smiffy, paperboy) and always enjoy meeting newbies as and when they can join in. Anyone who hasn't made it along, please try to attend one (even the knobs....I'm sure you won't be a knob afterwards :D )

Looking forward to catching up with Robobum again soon at a competition somewhere, sometime......it's been a while Darren!

Swing easy and keep your head down ;)

Didn't Darren vow never to play Hayling again after he lost his Skoda ball ?

You might want to change your mind about enjoying all Hayling meets, after you lose the next curry.:ears: