single length golf clubs

beccles

Visit site
am considering a set of these. But does a set have *all* the clubs the same length, including the woods?
i carry a driver, 3,5 woods, 3,4 hybrids, 5,6,7,8,9, PW, GW, SW, LW clubs (oops! one too many inc putter!!!) . i've seen recommendations to just get 3,4,5,6,7 irons in single length, but as you can see i only carry 5,6,7 in irons and changing to single length (7 iron length) would only affect the 5 & 6 so is it worth a change? The club that gets me in most trouble is the driver, but i presume (???) that is standard length in a single length set - or not?? btw not an expert.. handicap prob around 20 if i had one & i'm 72 years old..

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just the irons, so 5-PW would be fine.

My first question would be:

What is your better club, your 5 wood or your 7 iron?

I know a lot of people who would say 5 wood performs better. This answers most questions about one length.

I think there are other routes to consider, graphite technology for iron shafts is amazing now and should be considered for anyone

beccles

Visit site
5 wood goes further, 7 iron goes straighter.. mostly :)
I was wondering, why not just go down the grip on the clubs, marking them at the length of a 7 iron e.g. :)
As you might appreciate, not easy trying/evaluating different things.. you could try out something that suits you on a bad day, and write it off. Some years back i was given a grapite 5 to try, but hit my metal shaft better..

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
5 wood goes further, 7 iron goes straighter.. mostly :)
I was wondering, why not just go down the grip on the clubs, marking them at the length of a 7 iron e.g. :)
As you might appreciate, not easy trying/evaluating different things.. you could try out something that suits you on a bad day, and write it off. Some years back i was given a grapite 5 to try, but hit my metal shaft better..

Gripping down the shaft to 7 iron length would reduce distance on those clubs , I believe it’s to do with lie, loft and launch angles that the single length irons work

For example. I saw a 4 hybrid single length (looked like a junior club compared to a regular hybrid) now if I took the shaft out of mine and replaced with a 7 iron length shaft so it’s same length it wouldn’t be nearly as affective as the launch, lie and loft would be all wrong

I believe that’s how they work

Edit , found this article https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/one-length-irons/

There is a bit on there about loft lie and spin .. all science