Single golfer mindset

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not sure if this is a daft question or not but here goes.

I've been playing golf now for about 3 years and in that time I'd say 90% of those games I've played on my own. This is mainly down to the fact that none of my close mates play golf and getting a round with workmates can be difficult as I'm in the navy.

In this period I'd say that my game has improved but I'm not I feel at the standard I should be. In those 3 years I've only ever broke 100 twice and most of my rounds are around 110.

The point I'm trying to get at is if I played with people more often would it improve my game drastically? On my own my mind can wander and if I start badly there's no one there to say chin up or offer advice. I take lessons every so often and during them I'm hitting the ball brilliantly but as soon as I go on the course it's back to slicing off the tee and hitting my irons fat or thin. As I've said in another thread I'm currently hitting my 9 iron further than my 6 iron!!!

Has anyone else found playing with other people has improved their golf?

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Like you, most of my golf is played on my own, mainly because I tend to play as late as possible in the day due to a demanding family (I'm the only driver). I think I play better on my own than when I'm with others - I usually feel I've under performed at society/charity days and forum meets. Hopefully things will change for the better at tomorrows Coventry forum meet!

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Where are you based and where do you play?

I'm based in Portsmouth for work and when I'm at home I play in Bury. There's a few posters on here who've offered rounds with me but finding the time has been difficult. Got 2 weeks off next week so I'm hoping to sort something out on here for then

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Like you, most of my golf is played on my own, mainly because I tend to play as late as possible in the day due to a demanding family (I'm the only driver). I think I play better on my own than when I'm with others - I usually feel I've under performed at society/charity days and forum meets. Hopefully things will change for the better at tomorrows Coventry forum meet!

I just find sometimes if I'm playing on my own I can be a bit forgetful with technique and start to over think things.

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm based in Portsmouth for work and when I'm at home I play in Bury. There's a few posters on here who've offered rounds with me but finding the time has been difficult. Got 2 weeks off next week so I'm hoping to sort something out on here for then

You can always find time to play golf in the navy!! Now as the nights are lighter, can play at least 9 after secure! Take sports m'n'm on weds to get 18 in

Glenn Reading

Visit site
First time post on the forum for me.

Would it be worthwhile looking at how you could utilize playing on your own so you add a little more pressure to the game which in turn will prepare you for when you are in a group?

A great idea is to play a match play game with two balls. Play every shot as if you were competing against someone for real. Maybe make one ball Rory and the other ball Bubba???

If there are not to many people on the course, a game of 'cross country' golf will help your game massively. Playing from the 4th tee to the 6th green for example. You may find that you need to make shots up, play low cuts under trees or equally lofted shots over trees. Just make sure the course isnt full.

Most advanced golfer are happy to pair up for 9 holes and it is a great way to put your game under more scrutiny.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
First time post on the forum for me.

Would it be worthwhile looking at how you could utilize playing on your own so you add a little more pressure to the game which in turn will prepare you for when you are in a group?

A great idea is to play a match play game with two balls. Play every shot as if you were competing against someone for real. Maybe make one ball Rory and the other ball Bubba???

If there are not to many people on the course, a game of 'cross country' golf will help your game massively. Playing from the 4th tee to the 6th green for example. You may find that you need to make shots up, play low cuts under trees or equally lofted shots over trees. Just make sure the course isnt full.

Most advanced golfer are happy to pair up for 9 holes and it is a great way to put your game under more scrutiny.

Welcome along Glenn. IS the second name a geographical reference and where do you play?

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mate ,I am pretty crap but more than welcome to join me for a round sometime. I work different shift patterns so should be able to do something mate.

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mate ,I am pretty crap but more than welcome to join me for a round sometime. I work different shift patterns so should be able to do something mate.

Yeah that would be sound :thup:

I'd appreciate that. You're probably better than me!