Sim vs Range lessons

User20202

Visit site
Theres a very good coach in my local area who has coached at a national team level but he only has access to a sim (not sure which brand) and a small 9 hole course on hotel grounds. I have never used a sim before so I was wondering what you guys think? An elite coach without substantial practice facilities or a decent coach but with access to a range?

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Most all use a sim of some kind and I would be a little hesitant if the couch didn't have access to one, I personally like to see the ball flight on the range but love the way you can see ball strike ball speed, were you impacting the ball, smash factor ect all that type of stuff

User20202

Visit site
Most all use a sim of some kind and I would be a little hesitant if the couch didn't have access to one, I personally like to see the ball flight on the range but love the way you can see ball strike ball speed, were you impacting the ball, smash factor ect all that type of stuff

The other guy im looking at does have a launch monitor and his booth opens out onto the range so you can see the flight whilst also having the data. I just dont know how ill react to having to aim at a point on a screen 6 ft in front of me compared to aiming to a real target

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I get what your saying it's my main issue with the booths, if the booth opens up to a range and you can see the ball flight that for me sounds ideal, I'm sure youd see an improvement either way with an elite coach regardless of facility's

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
couldn't care less if there is even a launch monitor, for me most important is a good quality camera to actually see the swing, and the know how to assess what they're seeing.

for a fitting however, sim everyday since i'd never trust the range balls, but a range if you're getting to hit decent balls.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can see merits in both options. Personally I don't have an issue hitting at a screen as long as the monitor picks up all the data and the coach can then manipulate the things that are wrong so the numbers in terms of distance and dispersion improve and he has enough light in the bay to adequately capture the swing on camera. There is something to be said about seeing the ball flight as well and again it would still be dependant on seeing everything on camera and the launch monitor data.

I guess the decision between national level (elite) and very good local teacher comes down to cost but also what you think you'll get from going to one over the other. I used a top coach (Gary Smith) as he was the only one that taught the linear method of short game and there were definitely noticeable differences in his approach compared to a local pro but I have also used my current pro based at a local range for a number of years and very happy with how he's changed my swing