Show Your Swing:- A Swing Advice and Critique Thread.

Sekiro

Visit site
A few weeks back I posted a thread around the changes I’d made to my grip, it felt horrible for my next few rounds and practice sessions but over time it’s started to become a lot more comfortable and I feel confident now when using it (some of the advice I received here was great).

At the time I joked saying I wouldn’t dare post my swing as to me it’s terrible and needs so, so, so much work... but on thinking about it I’ve found one of the best ways to make improvements is to receive advice and critique from others as their insight can go a long way. I’ve only been playing golf since July this summer so I’m still very much a beginner but thought I’d post my swing to get some advice on things I can look to tweak and work on (hopefully inspiring others who are new to have the confidence to do the same) after all, we are all wanting to improve our game:-

Be brutal lol :p

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Three main issues of ever increasing concern.
1. Your hands lead the takeaway so much that the club lags behind them, this makes for a weak wrist cock late in the swing and a floppy transition.
2. You sway to the left so much I can see the range behind your head, which has moved so far from central that the only way to keep balance is to post up on the right leg and collapse the left, a position from which you cannot rotate around yourself leading you to sway back to impact, leaning back and flipping the hands to make contact while the hands are still behind the ball on an iron shot when they ought lead the clubhead - which is why the follow through just after impacts looks so weak. You’ll get away with this on a range mat but fat irons on the course.
3. But the real concern here is the smug look you give ur buddy filming as if you say “That’s the one, 17 takes but Ive nailed it”.

You said be brutal. You came to the right place ?

I’m just teasing- but two things I would say work on are to keep the head central so you aren’t swaying and work on a better impact position where you’re not scooping the ball off the surface so much, when the turf gets wet in the winter that’ll destroy you. But if you’ve only been playing a few months you’re not in bad shape at all, plenty clubhead speed and a nice finishing position - which is something you will probably always have if you have it now and most people would pay good money for ??

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The head moving isnt holding you back, so I wouldnt worry about that. Unless Ben Crenshaw level isnt good enough for you and you think thats what limited him to only two majors. :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The head moving isnt holding you back, so I wouldnt worry about that. Unless Ben Crenshaw level isnt good enough for you and you think thats what limited him to only two majors. :)

Ben Crenshaw did move his head but he moved it back to its starting position at impact every time.
Sekiro doesn't and he leans back at impact which isn't ideal.

I'd say Crenshaw won the Masters twice because of his great putting, not because he swayed off the ball.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Certainly looks a good beginning!

Two or three things leap out to me, one of which (swaying) has already been mentioned. The other is how 'stiff' your early/mid backswing appears. Not absolutely certain of what the main cause is - it seems to be in all of shoulders, elbows and wrists. Not a problem, perhaps even beneficial -, for a cricket shot (bats are heavy, so need big muscles to be involved!) but a serious killer of distance for a golf shot. There's also very little hip turn in the backswing - another distance killer.

Now (that you are addicted) would be a good time to see a pro to get those, and other fundamentals, sorted properly.

Sekiro

Visit site
Pretty good swing (y)
One thing I'd say is watch your head move on your back swing.
Then watch Rory below

Are there any drills to help with head position, I would love to be able to swing it like Rory (or most Pro’s for that matter), they guys a machine in how he can replicate that every time, guess that’s why he’s pro lol!

Three main issues of ever increasing concern.
1. Your hands lead the takeaway so much that the club lags behind them, this makes for a weak wrist cock late in the swing and a floppy transition.
2. You sway to the left so much I can see the range behind your head, which has moved so far from central that the only way to keep balance is to post up on the right leg and collapse the left, a position from which you cannot rotate around yourself leading you to sway back to impact, leaning back and flipping the hands to make contact while the hands are still behind the ball on an iron shot when they ought lead the clubhead - which is why the follow through just after impacts looks so weak. You’ll get away with this on a range mat but fat irons on the course.
3. But the real concern here is the smug look you give ur buddy filming as if you say “That’s the one, 17 takes but Ive nailed it”.

You said be brutal. You came to the right place ?

I’m just teasing- but two things I would say work on are to keep the head central so you aren’t swaying and work on a better impact position where you’re not scooping the ball off the surface so much, when the turf gets wet in the winter that’ll destroy you. But if you’ve only been playing a few months you’re not in bad shape at all, plenty clubhead speed and a nice finishing position - which is something you will probably always have if you have it now and most people would pay good money for ??

I’m really struggling with the head movement part, are there any drills or advice that would help reduce/fix it as that would be very much appreciated, the worst part is I don’t feel like I’m moving all that much but as soon as I see it on video it’s like “whoa! I’m moving loads!!”, getting the swing right is so much harder than I anticipated.

17 takes, that’s generous, might have been closer to 50 :p - nah my dad was using the phone to record it and I think this was about take 4 as the first two he took a photo instead of a video and then he asked should he be seeing a red circle or a red square when it’s recording. The swing although not where I want it is at least repeatable so hopefully if I can fix the bits that aren’t good I’ll still be able to keep things together. Have to be smug though, as a beginner just hitting the ball is an achievement haha!

There is one thing I’ve noticed though, the pro’s make it look so easy on TV, golf is bloody hard lol... even getting the fundamentals down isn’t easy and takes a lot of work and practice, hopefully by next year I’ll be able to post a comparison of now and then to see if I’ve actually made any improvements (probably the main reason to video your swing so you can identify flaws but also see improvements.

Certainly looks a good beginning!

Two or three things leap out to me, one of which (swaying) has already been mentioned. The other is how 'stiff' your early/mid backswing appears. Not absolutely certain of what the main cause is - it seems to be in all of shoulders, elbows and wrists. Not a problem, perhaps even beneficial -, for a cricket shot (bats are heavy, so need big muscles to be involved!) but a serious killer of distance for a golf shot. There's also very little hip turn in the backswing - another distance killer.

Now (that you are addicted) would be a good time to see a pro to get those, and other fundamentals, sorted properly.

I do feel a little rigid during the swing, if I’m totally honest it still feels a little unnatural and strange going through the full swing motion, definitely not fluid and comfortable with it yet. I’ll try to work on the hip turn as I think that’s something I should be able to isolate or at least reduce a little (hopefully I don’t feel more rigid and robotic that I already do). I have some lessons booked with my pro and it was his idea to video my swing and send it to him via email so he has an idea where we are working from ready for my lesson.
I’ve had one where we went through grip, position and just trying to go through the basics of the swing, he did say there were elements to work on but at the moment in time he didn’t want to overload me and said to work on those three areas first then the next time we can start to build the next stage of the swing but only once both him and I are comfortable with the first few bits - his term “no point building a house if the foundations aren’t there”.
Still very much work-in-progress but I’m really enjoying things so far and definitely addicted!

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get a piece of string and a small weight on it .
Attatch it to your cap so it’s in front of your eyes .
Swing in the garden try to keep the weight still.
Start very small swings ,build it up.
Try and keep the triangle of arms and shoulders ,club shaft together at the start of the swing.
If you sort your head position out your swing is nice and can see a decent player in the future!
Practice.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have you seen the video of Sako trying to hit a golf ball I was very surprised that a professional footballer had so little co ordination.

Your swing looks likes Rorys compared to his ?

I won’t give you any advice but can see plenty of potential for you.