Should I be considered for an annual handicap review?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Over the current season, due to family and work commitments, I've only managed to play 8 qualifiers up to yet. Having said that, I've had a pretty good season coming down from 15.7 to 13.8.

Here's an image of my qualifying competition scores this year:

null_zps80bd3fef.png

We have 2 quaifying competitions left, both of which it's very doubtful if I can play. I may be able to play one (... This weekend), but definatley not the other as I'll be out of the country on holiday.

Looking at the above image, should my seasons scoring highlight me from an annual handicap reduction?

I have no idea what calculation is involved, nor what would trigger such a review.

Any help appreciated :thup:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting stuff. Seems to be based on the median nett differential (difference between score and CSS) which is estimated to be appropriate for a given handicap.

Just did a quick calc for me, and of my 8 qualifying rounds, I had 5 in the buffer zone and 3 x 0.1 returns for a median nett differential of 1.5 shots, so could be in for a small reduction myself too.

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Interesting stuff. Seems to be based on the median nett differential (difference between score and CSS) which is estimated to be appropriate for a given handicap.

Just did a quick calc for me, and of my 8 rounds, I had 5 in the buffer zone and 3 x 0.1 returns for a median nett differential of 1.5 shots, so could be in for a small reduction myself too.

I'm glad you understand it :mad:

I've read though a link pbrown sent and I'm still non the wiser :D

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm glad you understand it :mad:

I've read though a link pbrown sent and I'm still non the wiser :D

I think the gist is that for any given handicap, there is a typical pattern of scores which averages out at a certain number of shots above CSS. So if you are a 13 handicap and you average 2 shots above CSS, compared to the typical 15 handicapper who averages 6 shots above, you should be considered for a cut because your play is unusually consistent, even though your pattern of scores do not necessarily include many scores below CSS which would automatically earn a straight cut.

Or something like that.

Seems fair enough as a back up method of checking whether the range of scores are being properly dealt with by the handicap system.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I seem to remember doing the calc for you a month or so ago.

And the conclusion was that you were just outside the 'Flag' limit, but that 1 round playing to 14 would trigger an A/R Flag.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
interested to read this thread as I'm wondering if I'm going to be looking at an increase on AR - which I dont want but may not have any choice in the matter! MHhcap.jpg

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
interested to read this thread as I'm wondering if I'm going to be looking at an increase on AR - which I dont want but may not have any choice in the matter! View attachment 7687

Mike

Maybe the handicap sec will say something I heard a starter at a course in the US say to someone (not me); "Son, are you sure you shouldn't be playing one tee box forward?"

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Here's a link to the document to the formula I' found

http://www.congu.com/faqs/old_site/Review of Handicaps.pdf

As I PS-ed to a reply to Ethan, the link has 'old' in the title, so accuracy isn't guaranteed.

Here's the formula - presumable calculated by analysing thousands of results.

nett MGD (Target) = 0.237FH+1.57

FH is 'Final Handicap'. MGD is the expected aveage difference. If the Actual Difference is greater than +/- 3 from Target, the player will be flagged.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I have it in my head that since your handicap has already dropped during the period you won't get an AR cut.....

Can't find the ref (and my interpretation may well have been overly simplistic) but was something I found earlier in the year while investigating the reasons I didn't get one after last year (I fully expected to along much the same lines you posted).

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
You've got a nerve after burning up Sunningdale the other day Mr H.....:cheers:
Form is Temporary.............
really struggling at my home course - shortish but very tight, very fiddly and you are very dead if you hit it right... which is where Ive been hitting it. As I say i dont want an increase and may avoid playing another comp to take out the possibility of another .1 but maybe out of my hands
and to think I joined there on about 6.2 thinking I'd be cat 1 by the end of 2012!
stupid, stupid game

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
really struggling at my home course - shortish but very tight, very fiddly and you are very dead if you hit it right... which is where Ive been hitting it. As I say i dont want an increase and may avoid playing another comp to take out the possibility of another .1 but maybe out of my hands
and to think I joined there on about 6.2 thinking I'd be cat 1 by the end of 2012!
stupid, stupid game
:rofl:
Better ask which style of Whisky is his favourite then Mike! :whistle:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I have it in my head that since your handicap has already dropped during the period you won't get an AR cut.....

Can't find the ref (and my interpretation may well have been overly simplistic) but was something I found earlier in the year while investigating the reasons I didn't get one after last year (I fully expected to along much the same lines you posted).

I see your point Karen. However I got docked a shot in the annual review last year after getting my handicap from 19.something to 16.7.

I was reduced 1 shot in the review to 15.7.

I was happy with that as I, just, missed out on my seasons goal (getting to 16) by 0.3. The A/R saw me cut to 15.7.

I'm not for a second saying you're wrong, but if last season is anything to go by, I may.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ok. To add a slightly different twist to the thread.

This is my friends seasons scoring.

null_zpsadcc4eb8.png

This is his first club handicap.

Started at 19 and is currently off 10, with 2 ESR's over the season. Will he see a reduction in the annual review?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I bet he was popular with 2 5 's and an 8 under handicap :p

mine resembles Mikes :(

To be fair Steve it was known to everyone including the handicap sec' that he was a good player. The 3 cards he put in for his original handicap came just has he was starting to play regularly, instead of 3 times a year.

He said that his handicap would right itself by the end of the year. He wasn't wrong.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok. To add a slightly different twist to the thread.

This is my friends seasons scoring.

null_zpsadcc4eb8.png

This is his first club handicap.

Started at 19 and is currently off 10, with 2 ESR's over the season. Will he see a reduction in the annual review?

By my calcs then he is well under the suggested scoring average (-1) for h/cap so my guess of the formula would be yes he is more than -3 from Suggested Median.