Fitting - worth it (yet) for me?

Visit site
So here's the story

After years of sporadic i.e. one weekend a year golf - I've now started to play more regular golf as my main sporting activity - enjoy it greatly (both as the game and as a great escape mechanism from everything else)

Fairly fit 54 yoa (although my back can be a problem)

I play at a 9-hole club here in Italy

My first handicap is currently 27.0 - In all honesty I would say my general iron play is much better than that - and my chipping & putting currently worse than that (i am arranging some short game lessons with one of the teaching pros here)

Last year I got some clubs off the rack - Callaway X irons (5-PW -graphite - as I thought that may be easier on my back) + a 3-wood (rarely used) and a couple of long irons

FYI I have never had any data RE swing speed, angle(s), spin(s) etc - Have a general working knowledge of my carry distance - 5-iron = 150-160 yds // 8 = 120

Don't get me wrong - i certainly don't blame my clubs for where my game is - I'm just trying to sense if I can and should seek some form of assessment / analysis and then
1. To get fitted for a driver and a hybrid
I need to get something anyway to carry some of the tee-shots at my annual golf trip at machrihanish in mid-june

2. See if my current irons are satisfactory (or alternatively unsuitable / less than optimal Re lie angles/shafts etc)

The thing is locally here in Italy they are not really set up for trackman / fitting etc -- and in reality I'd be generally more comfortable doing all of this (and any purchasing in the UK)

......so is it completely crazy to plan a fitting and (if necessary repurchase) when I am next in the south of England (I have some business in London I can do there in May)

If so the location is flexible (though the brother of a friend is the pro at a club near Milton Keynes that offers all such services)

Any thoughts appreciated - and alternative suggestions

I'm able to & happy to invest (tho' my reluctance to spend on myself is legendary) - just not foolishly

simonm8

Visit site
I reckon a fitting would help for sure, buying off the rack you don't know if you have correct lie angle, shaft length or shaft flex for a start..If your in London (big place) there quite few decent places you could go for a fit.. Most don't recommend American Golf as being the best, but they are ok and you have a decent selection.. Right by the O2 you have a range and AG outlet.. And it Free, alternatively where in London are you going to be, someone may recommend a good fitter at a course to contact to book something in..

The only issue you have is, if they don't stock the clubs you need spec wise is then get them ordered up and waiting for them.,, Which depending on brand could be 3 days to 3 weeks..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do a static fit on the Ping website and this will give you a good idea as to whether or not lie angles and length on a standard set are in the right area. You would then only need to worry about shaft flex.

As is said many a time having lessons is probably the better investment at this stage.

Drivers in particular though can be a very personal thing when it comes to having the best for your swing but you need to get the swing consistent first.

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback very helpful

I reckon a fitting would help for sure, buying off the rack you don't know if you have correct lie angle, shaft length or shaft flex for a start..If your in London (big place) there quite few decent places you could go for a fit.. Most don't recommend American Golf as being the best, but they are ok and you have a decent selection.. Right by the O2 you have a range and AG outlet.. And it Free, alternatively where in London are you going to be, someone may recommend a good fitter at a course to contact to book something in..

The only issue you have is, if they don't stock the clubs you need spec wise is then get them ordered up and waiting for them.,, Which depending on brand could be 3 days to 3 weeks..

A visit to the AG at the O2 is a good idea at some point - I hadn't thought about that

Do a static fit on the Ping website and this will give you a good idea as to whether or not lie angles and length on a standard set are in the right area. You would then only need to worry about shaft flex.

As is said many a time having lessons is probably the better investment at this stage.

Drivers in particular though can be a very personal thing when it comes to having the best for your swing but you need to get the swing consistent first.

I'll go to that Ping set-up site - i hadn't realised this type of general static info could be got this way - cheers for this it will give me some kind of info for sure

As it happens Callaway is doing a trackman demo fitting at my club this coming Friday - so i may try to get along to that

i agree lessons are fundamental; essentially I need driving, irons, wedges, and putting lessons :p - scheduled to have some short-game lessons in a fortnight