Shorter Driver, faster swing speed?! A few questions?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Experts,

It would seem that when I choke my driver down to the bottom of the grip, I guess 1.5" of butt showing my swing speed goes up... quite a lot too, I also seem to gain attack angle. 95 Mph to 98 Mph and 0.1 to +2.0. I shall repeat this test a few more times in the next few days. I can find no other mention of this happening on the internet?! Anyone come across anything like it?

If I were to cut my driver down would it feel the same as it feels now with the butt still there but not being used? ie when I choke does this already alter the swing weight.

Could it be that I gain speed from the lighter swing weight?

The driver is 45", would chopping 1.5" be too extreme?

Interested in any and all advice.

Thanks

Alex

Oh ye, I am also going to pull the weight out of the weight port to see if this has nothing to do with length and all to do with swing weight before I have the club up...

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The angle changes because of the shorter arc (and possibly because your swing plane steepens a fraction with the shorter club).
The speed part is more complex to explain. Could be that with a shorter club you engage your muscles 'properly'.... if you learnt to do that with the longer club you'd hit it even further/faster.

standrew

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Experts,

It would seem that when I choke my driver down to the bottom of the grip, I guess 1.5" of butt showing my swing speed goes up... quite a lot too, I also seem to gain attack angle. 95 Mph to 98 Mph and 0.1 to +2.0. I shall repeat this test a few more times in the next few days. I can find no other mention of this happening on the internet?! Anyone come across anything like it?

If I were to cut my driver down would it feel the same as it feels now with the butt still there but not being used? ie when I choke does this already alter the swing weight.

Thanks

Alex

Oh ye, I am also going to pull the weight out of the weight port to see if this has nothing to do with length and all to do with swing weight before I have the club up...

There are several things you can do to improve clubhead speed and may not require to cut it (which would require further adjustments). I would say if your control is ok then thats the main issue,as speed can be gained.

If youre using great sequence and have great speed, flexibility and strength in your pelvis, thorasic and arms (the main parts of the biomechanical sequence), then look at adjustments.

Most golfers dont have a strong sequence which affects clubhead speed). I found increasing my flexibility and range made the biggest difference. I used to be stocky and well built but it didnt help my speed. Sounds like you require more flexibility and range.

I find the difficult part is speeding up pelvis, and im constantly trying to slow the club down at the start of the downswing. I use single plane as well which makes a difference.

For me i found i required a shorter club for control purposes not clubhead speed, as im only 5'7, but i max out at 115mph.

If you increase that stuff and you have control with a 45",then youll be ok.Longer clubs apparantly give marginal distance differences but can affect accuracy a fair bit.

Last edited:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its not that I am looking to incense my swing speed per say, I just happened to note that the numbers were better when I choked down and thought I would explore that concept. I would guess, and it is a guess that on top of the numbers I put above that I would also hit the center of the bat more, that could be 3 good reasons to chop the shaft, club head speed, launch and possibly more often center hits, so more ball speed.

Is choking the same as cutting or will it feel different?

115mph would be lovely though!!

Thank James, If I learned to hit everything correctly I would have nothing to talk about but my child.... However for sure what you have said is true.

"The speed part is more complex to explain" care to have a go?

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
To explain it fully would be to explore the concepts/reasons why many amateur golfers hit their 3-wood further than they can hit a driver. That would include technique, posture, sequencing, and possibly 'extra' moves that they don't do when they are standing scared over their driver thinking "please don't slice it!".

I would rather grip down an inch than have a club cut, but that's just me. If the grip is uncomfortable when you grip down just get a new grip or layers of tape added.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
To explain it fully would be to explore the concepts/reasons why many amateur golfers hit their 3-wood further than they can hit a driver. That would include technique, posture, sequencing, and possibly 'extra' moves that they don't do when they are standing scared over their driver thinking "please don't slice it!".

I would rather grip down an inch than have a club cut, but that's just me. If the grip is uncomfortable when you grip down just get a new grip or layers of tape added.

Coolio.... It could be as simple as the club is lighter.... Just for the sake of chat, I feel like I can get the club back in front of my easier, or I should say back towards address as the club should always be in front of me.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Partly to do with swing plane..... grip any short (lighter than usual) club and chances are you won't feel like you need to swing it 'behind you', you'll be a few degrees more UP than usual, allowing you to get/keep the club more infront of the downswing.

standrew

Head Pro
Visit site
Its not that I am looking to incense my swing speed per say, I just happened to note that the numbers were better when I choked down and thought I would explore that concept. I would guess, and it is a guess that on top of the numbers I put above that I would also hit the center of the bat more, that could be 3 good reasons to chop the shaft, club head speed, launch and possibly more often center hits, so more ball speed.

Is choking the same as cutting or will it feel different?

115mph would be lovely though!!

What im saying as the guy above said,there may be several reasons why you swing a longer club slower. It would likely indicate there are technique issues or the club is too long for you personally. What height are you?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
What im saying as the guy above said,there may be several reasons why you swing a longer club slower. It would likely indicate there are technique issues or the club is too long for you personally. What height are you?

About 5,10, 5,11. So kinda normal...

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Experts,

Thanks

Alex

Here you are Pal... This i copied from the Titleist website...

Iv no idea what clubs you use but iv swapped the shafts between my 45" 910 driver and my 43" 3 wood and hit the driver with the 43" shaft way straighter..... Food for thought.. :thup:

" swing weight will change some, but WILL NOT affect the ball flight. When we shorten the length of shaft in our fitting sessions the players will have a more consistent on center hit. A GREAT trade off. I have asked the Titleist shaft engineers about this and they have confirmed it as well.
Best to get fitted first tho and find out what your best length really is --- get fit outdoors, hitting from grass using a launch monitor and Pro V golf balls.
steve ball
Senior Consultant to Titleist club fitting "

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here you are Pal... This i copied from the Titleist website...

Iv no idea what clubs you use but iv swapped the shafts between my 45" 910 driver and my 43" 3 wood and hit the driver with the 43" shaft way straighter..... Food for thought.. :thup:

" swing weight will change some, but WILL NOT affect the ball flight. When we shorten the length of shaft in our fitting sessions the players will have a more consistent on center hit. A GREAT trade off. I have asked the Titleist shaft engineers about this and they have confirmed it as well.
Best to get fitted first tho and find out what your best length really is --- get fit outdoors, hitting from grass using a launch monitor and Pro V golf balls.
steve ball
Senior Consultant to Titleist club fitting "

Thanks buddy,

I am using a 913 D2. I actually did try and swap my 3 wood shaft into it but they have a different adapter now. The 3 wood adapters are shorter.

I did not get the same results last night and probably need not to be having a crisis about this as my face and path numbers are bonkers good. I just need to remember to get up on the ball and take the tee peg out as well as the ball and I am good.

The big four ow next year, I shall go to Precision Golf or somewhere and have them custom fit my wallet to fit easier on my pocket.