Shortening my driver shaft

pingwizard

Hacker
Visit site
Im wondering if anybody has any input on this. I used to play a Callaway Diablo driver and id say I was fairly consistent with it (60-70% of fairways hit). Anyway it broke...:mad: and I replaced it with the same driver. The shaft seemed longer and I hadnt previously measured the shaft lenght of my previous driver. I couldnt get going with it. Im on my 3rd driver since with the same issue. I seem to be swinging around the ball where as before I was able to attack it more from the inside giving me a decent draw. Im probably standing too close in my set up now but any further back and my arms seem to disconnect on my back swing.So...Should I have my driver shaft shortened a 2"? My Current shaft is 46.5.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Try gripping down 2" on the club and see if you're more consistent with it before making any decisions on cutting it down. For the record, 46.5" is usually WAY too long for most handicap golfers (and pros for that matter) and you probably would be better off with something in the 44-45" range. Swingweight will drop considerably if you cut it down, but you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

pingwizard

Hacker
Visit site
Good advice. I have been ocasionally trying that but I become very aware of the two inches of driver shaft rubbing against my wrist (purely psychological I know). Ill head down to the range and hit a few balls until it feels natural I suppose. Then it will give me a good indication where im at.