Short Iron Stiff Steel Shafts

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Try saying that on Saturday night.

I was wondering - I'm awaiting the arrival of my new irons today right - I went for Reg flex steel in all of them 3-PW. I like to swing easy, I'm very happy with my ball flight, spin and distance with my irons but sometimes when I want to dig in and get a short iron to stop or spin, I end up yanking them quite a way left. Would anyone recommend a firmer shaft in the short irons to keep them under control and aid accuracy?
What do people who already play stiff steel in their irons think? Is there much in it, if your a decent ball striker can you make the transistion without much hassle or what?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you are trying to hit it harder, sounds like a pull. There is not much difference in the playability (nasty americanism) in the short irons anyway. Titleist put a 'wedge' shaft in the spin milled now, where you used to get a choice of stiff or regular. It really only effects the longer sticks.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a stiff shaft S-300 true temper in my SW, and would have liked the same in my short irons as well. I had my 845s re-shafted twice (three altogether over 20 years) and once enquired about using stiff in say 8/9/PW. Murph is right though, there's very little difference.....

If you are pulling your short irons (we've all been there) then have the lies checked out and learn a way around it. It's a common problem....if you are a solid player, you might like to experiment with addressing the ball with the face a tad open...therefore...if you cut across it you might get a nice high fade with good stop spin.

I went through 3 season cutting up my short irons, much safer than you'd imagine.