Short game practice needed...

Gringo El Bingo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Afternoon all!

Played my second round yesterday, and finished 10 shots less than my first. I've gotten rid of the driver and replaced it with a 15.5 degree hybrid (Cleveland Mashie) to use off the tee, so I'm hitting the fairway more often. That's where the 10 shots have come from.

For my next progression, I think I need a better short game. A full swing from my PW will be pretty accurate, but anything under 100 yards I'm really struggling with. I've tried choking down on the club, but that just puts my accuracy out.

I need to practice! But where? What I'm after is a driving range but with grass, not mats. Does anyone know of anywhere in Hampshire (Portsmouth, Southampton, or anywhere inbetween).

Do people on here use proper practice areas? Or would you just take your wedges down to your local park?

And finally, are there any good drills to do? Or is just a case of aiming for a target from different distances and lies to get better?

Any advice would be greatfully recieved.

Gringo El Bingo

Medal Winner
Visit site
The 64 degree lob wedge is still in the bag, but I haven't swung it yet. My loftiest club apart from this is the PW.

Perhaps I need a loftier club still? A SW perhaps?

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 64 degree lob wedge is still in the bag, but I haven't swung it yet. My loftiest club apart from this is the PW.

Perhaps I need a loftier club still? A SW perhaps?
Drop the 64* straight away, its a wasted club in your bag.

My advise would be to get a Gap wedge (52*) and something like a 56* or 58* wedge.
A pitching wedge isnt the answer for shots under 90yrds, it requires too much feel. Use the right wedge for the distance

Dreamer2

Head Pro
Visit site
hello,,,i have pw sw & 60 lob wedge the 60 is great for short hitting over bunkers & i use it out of bunker if the flag is close ,,if your a high hc the last thing you want to doing is opening the club face just not worth the shank

when you use the lob wedge at first just use it with 1\2 a back swing & accelerate the follow through

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have to agree. The 64 is best off holding up tomatoes in the garden. If your PW is around the 47/48 mark I'd go for something like a 52/54 and a 56/58 and get a constant gap between the wedges and then learn the distances for a full 3/4 and a 1/2 swing so you'll get 9 yardages for the 3 wedges and you can pick which club you feel comfiest with what length of swing.

I try not to hit off mats when working on the short game as I don't find it realistic. If your club doesn't have a grassed practice area see if any ranges locally do although they are mainly open in the summer months. There is a course not too far away from me with a dedicated short game area you can buy a day ticket and use (Wexham Park) and so its worth seeing if any other clubs have a similar facility