Shermans....... A man in need of help!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Recent the golf has been going pretty solid, average shooting of 34/35/36 still with the odd blob so overly pretty solid, went to the range today and boom, out of no where MASSIVE shanks... Lads, what's going wrong!:angry::(

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums...1-BF0E-8997ED658151-4121-000003906C0427E4.mp4

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums...8-9F3D-7148757DED6B-4121-0000039092B1048E.mp4

A new pro at the range has suggested too much movement on thruway back with too low a finish, he gave a few drills that were night and day better, but I'm trying to see other than all fluidity what is wrong, please feel Freetown draw lines etc and any help is more than appreciated

Cheers

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
You're taking the club back too far inside mate, resulting in a loopy over the top move.
You need to get back on plane.

Take the club back more on your toe line so when paralell to the floor the butt end is pointing
at the target (not well right of it)

At nine o'clock you plane needs to be a bit more upright i.e butt end pointing more towards the ball
or a bit inside it.

this should help you get the downswing on a more in to out path.

I only know this because this was the exact same reason i was shanking.

hope it helps.

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had the same thing happen to me few months back, tended to happen at range and not on course oddly enough. Like jeardley said with taking club back inside - i was advised to keep the clubhead facing ball for as long as possible to prevent this.

I had it bad for a couple of weeks and tried everything incl uding standing further away, lining up with the toe of the club for a bit. Also tried putting a headcover under each arm to keep connection between arms and body. Tried keeping weight on my heels (didnt work).

Got over it by taking half swings and getting the confidence of hitting the sweetspot and then move to 3/4 to full.

Now i dont even think about it - at least till i read your post

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
im no expert (no laughing at the back) But I have suffered for a few years with the shanks on a half shot, partly as the face was so shut.
This speaks frame says a lot to me.

Image1-3.jpg

Anton-Haig-Swing-Sequence-5.jpg

duston_johnson_2010_pga.jpg

86332105.jpg

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers lads. What I didn't say was a pro at that range saw what was going on, and gave a few pointers,

Address the ball at what is a positive impact position, right heal up and knee bent, shaft with positive lean and a square face, hit half shots, the 2/3's, then 3/4's all starting from this perfect attack position

It did work but I was more curious as there are always other drills out there. I have a lesson booked for Friday so hopefully the old swing will surface by then :thup:

Any other suggestions are welcomed

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cheers lads. What I didn't say was a pro at that range saw what was going on, and gave a few pointers,

Address the ball at what is a positive impact position, right heal up and knee bent, shaft with positive lean and a square face, hit half shots, the 2/3's, then 3/4's all starting from this perfect attack position

It did work but I was more curious as there are always other drills out there. I have a lesson booked for Friday so hopefully the old swing will surface by then :thup:

Have you ever thought of taking up crown green bowls?
;)

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Your weight looks like its a bit on the back heels so on the downswing you are moving on to your toes slightly hence the Shermans

If your weight is on the balls of the feet you should stay steady

You also are a bit flat on swing plane and as mentioned club face is odd at top ?

I now try to check that if at the top i dropped the club it would land on my back shoulder, club face to align with front forearm angle

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
As most J Arthur's stem from coming too much from the inside, my guy had me trying to hit a small fade and by doing so I was getting the club coming in from a better angle, takes a good few shots to get it back and you expect a Sherman each time, persevere and it will come good again quickly.

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Another drill i used in range was to push matt hard against wall of bay then position the golf ball just inside the wall and play from there without hitting the dividing wall - guess it wouldnt work in all ranges - you could always place a 2nd ball above your target ball as an alternative

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your weight looks like its a bit on the back heels so on the downswing you are moving on to your toes slightly hence the Shermans

If your weight is on the balls of the feet you should stay steady

You also are a bit flat on swing plane and as mentioned club face is odd at top ?

I now try to check that if at the top i dropped the club it would land on my back shoulder, club face to align with front forearm angle

Now two interesting points here.

1) weight, yes as a rule my weight is always on my heels, I've never been told otherwise in the 20+ lessons I've had, what's funny is on certain shots I do feel my weight shift to my balls of my feet, so this is definitely and area to look at!:thup:

2) flat plane / shut at the top. I've been struggling with some common faults for the last two seasons which could logically lead to the shermans!

A) strong right hand, this apparently in turn forces a flatter swing plane
B) the strong hand coupled with flat swing plane forces me to come from the inside
C) coming from the inside forces a few possible outcomes, pushes, hooks, shermans or slices if I hold off release in order to try and rescue.

Would seem a lot of the fault could stem from the right hand getting strong...... Again!:clap:

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
Have a look how much your hips move toward the ball....

Address position....

7706c71a50b8ab7d8fb86e3000191ecd.jpg

And impact position is a good few inches towards the ball.

b88e1ad3ad08d1b56fd13ed193033f6d.jpg

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Now two interesting points here.

1) weight, yes as a rule my weight is always on my heels, I've never been told otherwise in the 20+ lessons I've had, what's funny is on certain shots I do feel my weight shift to my balls of my feet, so this is definitely and area to look at!:thup:

2) flat plane / shut at the top. I've been struggling with some common faults for the last two seasons which could logically lead to the shermans!

A) strong right hand, this apparently in turn forces a flatter swing plane
B) the strong hand coupled with flat swing plane forces me to come from the inside
C) coming from the inside forces a few possible outcomes, pushes, hooks, shermans or slices if I hold off release in order to try and rescue.

Would seem a lot of the fault could stem from the right hand getting strong...... Again!:clap:

I am sure its the weight moving to your toes, classic reason for the bad shot, you move approx 1" and its a done deal

When you are on your heels you will only move in one direction forwards !

Try it and tell me the result, weight more balls / toes than heels

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am sure its the weight moving to your toes, classic reason for the bad shot, you move approx 1" and its a done deal

When you are on your heels you will only move in one direction forwards !

Try it and tell me the result, weight more balls / toes than heels

Will do :thup:

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
That's the ticket mate... Clear that left hip whilst maintaining your spine angle throughout the shot and bingo :)

Let us know how you get on