Shanks??

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Just wanted some advice.

Been striking the balls reasonably well for me but played last sunday (still hammered from night before) and couldn't hit the ball for toffee, I mean really, really bad! Played on the Monday, same again, hit way more bad contacts than good.

I'm playing golf on Thursday, Sunday and possibly (if I get this out of my system) on 31st. I'm thinking of going to the range and hitting a load of balls trying to get back what I had.

Could anyone advise me on what is best for this? I won't have a lesson as i've only got a few weeks left here.

Thanks

robbest3offthetee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi Mate, From previous experience you just have to work through it,you know you can strike a good ball,I had this once and it went away as quickly as it came (thank goodness),so just go out there and try to forget all about it,good luck with it !!!...

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a short term fix, address the ball on the hosel and swing. Just swing and trust me, it is nigh on impossible to then hit a shank.

As a longer term fix, go back and check your basics - ball position, stance, distance stood from ball etc. It's normally something sloppy that creeps in over time.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Been there!!!

I find hitting a load of balls makes me hit a load of Sherman's.

Had them yesterday. I had played on Saturday and was not striking my irons very well so decided to go to the practice ground at Nain. In winter we hit from the back of the practice ground to save the grass. Trouble is there are a few houses close by up this end. Lets just say a couple of them are lucky to have any windows left.

I've got a flattish swing and if I get a bit armsy and swing too fast with not enough shoulder turn I can cut across the ball resulting in a sh*nk. Also gets worse if I lift my head as well.

I had given up and was putting my stuff away when a couple of guys I know asked me if I wanted to have a few holes with them. I thought what the hell, how much worse could it get.

Played Ok, 5 over gross.

So my advice, swing easy relax they will go as quick as they came.

I for one will not be hitting loads of balls from now on thats for sure ;)

crux

Club Champion
gonewhackit.blogspot.com
I have expertise in this area because I suffer from recurring short game shanks. Never hit one on a full swing, but part swings can spell trouble. Unfortunately, there are a load of possible causes, and while I know what causes mine, yours could be totally different, the saving grace is that for almost most everyone they are temporary thing that you just work through. As a temporary fix, this is the best one I have used.

OTT%20Drill.jpg

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies and positive reassurances.

I suffered from this a few years back and it took nearly a year to come back.

Fingers crossed tonights session at the range works well.

Any other drills like crux you can suggest?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
When at address align the ball a little closer to the heel in the first place will help get you on a less shanky path. Not leaning forward on the through swing helps too. Bob will cure you though without the rest of us guessing without asking the right questions.

I had it with the wedges at the start of last year and was still breaking my handicap so dont be too disheartened, as long as you are sinking the putts, the rest will come together again.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob will cure you though without the rest of us guessing without asking the right questions.

Sorry. I've retired from this.
It seems other members know more about teaching the golf swing than I do so I'll leave it to them. :D

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was guessing this was a forum where everyone puts their opinion, rightly or wrongly. If any professionals contribute it is still only their opinion and not necessarily fact, after all how many different ways do guys who are in the same profession teach the golf swing!!??

Hardly a reason for the toys to come out of the pram. Shame as the discussion is normally interesting on these threads.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Since there are about 15 contributing resons for shanking, most of which I am depressingly familiar with, video is the only real way to see what is happening.

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Haha, thanks for all the opinions and advice guys.

I went to the range last night and bought a bucket of 90 balls. The range I used had powertees (the single worst invention EVER).

I remember a few things people advised but thought I'd take a good 20 practice swings before striking my first ball. Just thought I'd address as per usual with an 8 Iron and ping, straight off the good stuff with a slight fade (may be slice but I'll say fade :) )

Continued to 'slice/fade' majority of balls but it was sooo much better than before, hit about 5 shockers but playing to the fade/slice, I hit 100 yards marker about 4 times with another 10 real close and hit 2 to the 150 marker.

Very happy bunny. Will be down again tonight to try and straighten it out a bit. I've always had my fade so not too fussed just expect a few more straight ones.

I won't be uploading a vid now as I won't have a season this year what with me going to Aus in a few weeks!

Cheers

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bob will cure you though without the rest of us guessing without asking the right questions.

Sorry. I've retired from this.
It seems other members know more about teaching the golf swing than I do so I'll leave it to them. :D

Bob is that why u didnt reply to my mud eating question after you asked me something......I was kinda hoping you would come back cos eating mud is really annoying!!! :eek: :D :D :D

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
Had this with my wedges and short irons.... As with many, it came and went with what seemed very little change.

I was told the shank is a 99.0% almost a perfect shot.... Its just a shame that remaining 1% will kill your round of golf....

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well it appears the shanks have left me and all i'm struggling with now is a slight fade/slice.

Played 36 holes yesterday, so 94 first look round pavenham, my god were the greens quick. Hitting lob wedge into front of green and it rolled about 15 foot deep!! Pretty happy with my play but putting was ridiculous and it was hard to hold the greens.

Went to play 9 with my mate when he finished work tee'd of at 4pm decided to carry on after shooting 5 over front nine, 5 pars 1 birdie and 3 doubles. Got another 4 pars on the back nine with the rest bogeys so shot an 82, my second best round ever. The course at silverstone was in amazing condition so plenty of roll but I was hitting the ball so well.

God I love golf :D